↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Front screen rubber replacment TD5 2001
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MC84

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Chawton White
Front screen rubber replacment TD5 2001
I want to replace my front screen rubber on my 2001 TD5 as its shot. Do you have any tips for me? Reading on here it seems a wise move to use a sealer as well as just the rubber but do I need para cord (string) to aid the refit, if so won't that get messy?

Any suggestion gratefully received. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #535949 30th May 2016 7:22pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
I say get a professinal shop to do it.

2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #536008 30th May 2016 11:55pm
Lionel

Australia 
Re: Front screen rubber replacment TD5 2001
MC84 wrote:
I want to replace my front screen rubber on my 2001 TD5 as its shot. Do you have any tips for me? Reading on here it seems a wise move to use a sealer as well as just the rubber but do I need para cord (string) to aid the refit, if so won't that get messy?

Any suggestion gratefully received. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I have just had a new windscreen fitted due to "sandblasting" after 11 years, & was able to see the whole process.

Professional fitters, of course, make the job look easy, & most importantly, have the right tools for the job. The video link in the previous posting from 4RF RDS is worth a look, as it explains the basic process & the risks involved!

Remember that it will be VERY difficult to get the screen out without breaking it, particularly if any sealant has been used in the past. It is also critical that the seal mating surface of the frame is perfectly clean of dirt, rust, & any old sealant.

For this reason I would always get a windscreen fitter to do the job. They do it all the time, & know all the pitfalls. Although it is a straightforward job there is a significant risk of damage if you don't "have the knack".

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lionel
Post #536015 31st May 2016 2:59am
MC84

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Chawton White
Thanks for the reply's Guys. Certainly food for thought. I never really trust other people to do jobs for me, it usually turns out badly!

However the screen may be one I need to hand over,

Thanks again,

Mike
Post #536016 31st May 2016 3:26am
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
They're not too bad to do really. Cut the old rubber out with a Stanley knife. Plenty of lube is the key to success, and make sure you get the rope in the right slot on the rubber. I've done a few, it's not impossible. Option number 2 is find a local plant glass place and offer them a bit of cash, don't bother with auto windscreens etc as they don't seem interested if it's not a bonded screen.
Post #536054 31st May 2016 10:26am
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Top Tip - get a genuine LR replacement rubber
I bought a new heated front screen and was going to fit it myself - after watching videos of how easy it is.
It came with a new rubber seal.
In the end I took it to D44 and two of their mechanics struggled for nearly an hour to fit the rubber that was supplied with the screen, with no success.
They then tried a genuine seal from their stores and the job was done in 10 mins.
If I had tried on my own, with the aftermarket seal, I would have persisted until something had broken.
Post #536055 31st May 2016 10:43am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
A friend and I tried a few times to do it using 2nd hand screens and invariably broke them in the process. Recently however we took a chance on a Britpart screen and seal (£50) and surprisingly fitted it in about 45 minutes without an problems.

Having tried using string before, this time we used thick cable from a garden strimmer and a lot of washing up liquid, it went it perfectly. Personally I would have used a genuine seal but on this occassion we had no problems and it seems watertight Very Happy
Post #536404 1st Jun 2016 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1