↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Any LRD Bodyshops in France? 1993 D130 Needs Complete Fix.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
edmond

United States 
Any LRD Bodyshops in France? 1993 D130 Needs Complete Fix.
Hello Forum Members.

I own a 1993 Defender 130 in France.
It has been in a accident and i want to bring it back to life.. It had flipped over to its side..

My question to the forum members is

Is there a reliable shop that has the equipment/right tools and the right man power to take this job in France? Yes, in France.
or it is better off to take the 130 with the ferry to the UK and have it repaired there?

I figured there could be a few D130 heads over here to guide me to few responsible land rover defender bodyshops/machanic shops in France, if there is any.. or if they could give me any advise..
The vehicle is located in Brest, France..

If i cant find anyone who has the ability to repair the D130 then i have no choice but to ship it to the UK..

I appreciate all the help.

Kind Regards

Edmond
Post #529216 5th May 2016 5:40am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Hi Edmond,

I would normally highly recommend our local Indie, as I have done before on these threads, however given where the 130 is located, you are about 10hrs from the Alps and it would not make sense to bring it here when you can return it to the UK where:

a. It will be cheaper to fix
b. There will be greater access to parts
c. It will be cheaper to ship to the US, assuming that's the ultimate plan?

France should never be considered over the UK for anything to do with cars (based mainly around costs as parts are often >50% more expensive, labour >100% more expensive), especially when thinking about older or rarer models such a Def 130. Only use France for expediency or emergencies. To put into context, I'm having my 110SW cabin Dynamatted, and the chassis waxoyled, plus other parts etc. It is cheaper, quicker and I have more options availoable by spending a day driving back to the UK to have the work done than looking for someone here. £500 round trip, and two days driving there and back whereas the cost here would be double, however no one can actually be bothered to do the work anyway. Big Cry

Hope that helps? Good luck. Thumbs Up

Grenadier Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #529239 5th May 2016 7:39am
edmond

United States 
hello Grenadier

Thank you very much for your input.

I believe you are 1000% correct about taking the vehicle to the UK and have it repaired over there..

I didnt realize that the costs would be that high , i figured it was probably 20% - 30% higher but not over 50%. The hell with that.. like you mentioned , do it only in emergency situations..

yes, i will be bringing the D130 over here to the states.
I wish i had a residence in Europe. its just that you are close to everything Europe, Asia,Africa.

this was my first post. I truly am sorry to have it be this way but i have followed this site for the past year.. Especially the D130 section..

you did mention 110SW cabin Dynamatted, and the chassis waxoyled, Are the shops to busy to take on your project?

okay a few questions..

Are there any LRD bodyshops/mechanicsin the UK that are members of this community?

Do you think i can find shops here in this community?

kind regards

edmond
Post #529439 5th May 2016 9:40pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I'm sure there are guys on here that would be able to do it. might be worth asking Martin to move this thread to the general forum. It gets a lot more traffic and there's nothing "special" about a 130 over a 110/90 really!
Post #529456 5th May 2016 10:34pm
Projectblue

England 
Hey Edmond, I will swap you. I have a 130 here in the UK but I want to drive across the USA and down the Pan American. I'm not interested in going to Africa Laughing

Brest to Roscoff is sub 60 miles and an hours drive. It's not difficult to sort body damage on a Defender once you have the parts. Perhaps you could source the parts and get them to a Brest based bodyshop?

How bad is the damage? Assuming the chassis is ok then it's cosmetic. Finding doors however will not be easy or cheap. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #529585 6th May 2016 5:35pm
edmond

United States 
I want to thank all for their help.

Mike i will contact martin and see how we can sort this out.. The truth is, this project needs time and i want to take the correct steps to repair it.

Projectblue, what a beautiful trip you are planning. If you need any kind of help in the States, i will be more then happy to assist you..
As for the trade, i haven't really thought of doing anything like this.
To be honest, from what my cousin told me, there could be a front right side chassis damage. Its a possibility.. Unfortunelty, i never visited france and dispatched my cousin from paris to see it and purchase it..

Do you mind if i see a few photos of your D130? What production year is it?

I had all my photos of my D130 but unfortunetly i lost all my data on my computer.. i dont have any photos on me as we speak..
My aunt and her husband arent into computers and smart phones and my cousin isnt going back to brest to their house.. there is no way to take current pictures until he goes back to brest..

So for now, the D130 is at a their house waiting to be pickup for repairs.. i think it would be better to take the D130 to England and have it repaired over there if i suspect front chassis damage..

Projectblue, you are right, if no chassis repair then it would of been a good idea to fix it once you have all the right body parts.... I believe it not just body parts needed... Crying or Very sad

Again thank you very much.. lets see pictures please..
Post #531164 12th May 2016 11:41pm
Projectblue

England 
Hi Edmond, pm replied to.

The reason I mention the parts only is that many French and Belgium dealers come to UK swap meets to pick up parts. So it might pay to go to one, get the parts and take them back.

There is a place about 1hr from Portsmouth where the Roscoff ferry lands. It's known bhy its original name as the Old Sodbury Sort Out and is located at a place called Newbury where the A34 highway (runs Nth/Sth) crosses the M4 freeway (which runs E/W). If you are going to find wings/roofs/doors - that's where you would find them Thumbs Up New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #531165 13th May 2016 12:11am
edmond

United States 
devon

thank a million..
Post #534733 25th May 2016 10:38pm
JimC

United States 2007 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Arles Blue
Is this the wrecked white 130 that was on eBay last year?
Post #547253 9th Jul 2016 6:11am
edmond

United States 
Hello Jim

This vehicle was bought by my Cousin on his visit to the south of France. He studies in Paris.

He didnt buy it from Ebay but it is possible that previously it could of been sold on Ebay. He might of even bought it from the guy who bought it from Ebay. Not sure.
Post #547702 11th Jul 2016 6:42am
JimC

United States 2007 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Arles Blue
Cool. It sounds like a fun project. I'm looking around for a donor 130 for a project of my own and so I'm keeping tabs on what's out there. A 300tdi 130 which looked like it had been rolled sold in France last year for almost 7000 euro. There wasn't a straight panel on it and the chassis looked suspect. Anyhow, just curious.

River house mini in NL does a lot of projects like this and seems to be well liked. Maybe you should check them out.
Post #547942 11th Jul 2016 9:07pm
edmond

United States 
Hello jim

I would think whoever bought the D130 on ebay, bought it because of the Vin plate. that makes sense now, they would probably fix the whole thing up..
The prices are going up as we speak.

what project do you have with D130?

I am familiar with River house mini, they do awesome work. I think i will still send my D130 to England to get repaired..

kind regards
Post #548356 13th Jul 2016 3:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1