↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > JLR Policy on dealer / service centre courtesy vehicles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
JLR Policy on dealer / service centre courtesy vehicles
Ryan / Pete,

May I draw your attention to the comments in the following discussion http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic36443.html

Could you tell me what the official JLR policy is with regards to dealers / service centres supplying courtesy vehicles when the owners vehicle is in for investigation / repair under warranty please.

FYI I have also sent you a private message.

Many thanks,
Steve Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #519580 31st Mar 2016 1:27pm
Happyoldgit

Firstly I would like to thank Ryan for his responses to both my private messages. However since to date there appears to be a dearth of a public response to this thread I will add that I am now given to believe that policies regarding the supply, or otherwise of courtesy vehicles are the concern of individual dealers and service centres.

My views:
The fact that some customers with vehicles that are still in warranty are asked to pay for insurance cover / insurance admin fees, either for a period or daily, while their vehicle is at a JLR dealer / service centre having issues investigated or repaired seems somewhat unfair, more so when others have been supplied a courtesy vehicle delivered to their door FOC. That is not to say that all customers should be charged, quite the contrary in fact.

To expect people who have purchased a vehicle which then develops a fault within the standard 3 year warranty period to then pay further for a vehicle to use while theirs is in for rectification seems particularly short sighted and rather bad form. While the charging for example £12 daily may not appear on the face of it much outlay, what happens should repairs take longer than expected or parts required be out of stock.

With regard to my vehicle I was advised that I was free to try another dealer so I did so, I contacted the one from whom I originally purchased the vehicle. I was informed by their service manager that it would be best to stay with the Land Rover service centre who serviced the vehicle a couple of weeks ago. As an aside the reason I used that particular Land Rover approved service was because their servicing costs were somewhat less than the supplying dealer. He then informed me that one of their courtesy cars would cost £15 per day + VAT.

A bit of background: Going back to when my vehicle was in for the day for servicing [which included an excellent pick-up & return service] I had asked then to investigate and rectify three issues one of which could not be detected so they requested the vehicle back for investigation for 2 days - hence my request for a courtesy vehicle to be dropped off cover the absence of my Defender. I was then informed that they do not deliver courtesy vehicles as they needed to see driving licence and deal with paperwork so if I required a vehicle I would need to personally deliver vehicle my Defender to them. I said the two hour round trip involved [four hours if I included the return visit to collect the vehicle] was not convenient. Shortly after I received an email that they would make an exception and would drop off a courtesy vehicle and collect mine etc ....and it was then that the £12 insurance admin fee was mentioned.

So, that's the story. I see that from various comments within the thread linked above that I am not alone in feeling that Land Rover themselves should cover the costs of courtesy vehicles while customers vehicles are investigated and repaired under warranty...

apt100 wrote:
My local dealer wanted £20 to cover insurance if I couldn't show proof of cover on my own policy.

The way I see it... the dealer could be free to charge whatever they like... but for warranty work that fee should be charged to JLR and not passed on to the customer.
 Steve.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

Post #520562 3rd Apr 2016 4:16pm
walfy

With regards to the delivery of a courtesy vehicle. Guy Salmon in Bristol, deliver the car to me everytime. A member of staff lives around the corner from where my wife works, so she would drive to work and the staff member would conduct the veh swap over there. My wife would handover a photocopy of my licence. If she doesn't collect then they have one of the general staff deliver to me. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #520614 3rd Apr 2016 6:39pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Just to add to the quote above.

If I buy a well used second-hand vehicle from a backstreet garage, and then decide I want to take it to a JLR dealer for service/repair work - I fully accept that they are free to charge whatever they like. That's the market place at work.

However, if I buy a brand new vehicle, partly influenced by the manufacturers warranty, I do not expect to pay for the "privilege" of a random hatchback while my Defender is being repaired. Again.

JLR need to understand that the dealer is the face of JLR when sorting out warranty work. They also need to understand the mindset of someone who has just spent £30k+ on a vehicle to have it need work in the first few weeks. They should be doing their best to make it as smooth and pain-free as possible. Don't start *ing people off for the sake of a few quid. It's not rocket science.
Post #520725 3rd Apr 2016 11:53pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I note the comments made and can advise that all of our retailers are independent franchised businesses and as suich, are responsible for administering their own policies in relation to loan vehicle provision.

Whilst I appreciate the comments made in relation to vehicles being under warranty, I would advise that the three year manufacturers warranty absorbs the financial cost of repairs to the vehicle in the instance of a manufacturing defect being identified. However, it does not cover any fees or charges that may be made by the retailer for insurance cover of loan vehicles.

Many retailers will allow the loan vehicle to be placed on the customers own insurance policy should this be preferred, however the relevant paperwork would need to be submitted to allow this. This would remove the requirement of paying the daily insurance charge.

Should anyone have any queries regarding retailer policy surrounding loan vehicle insurance cover, I would suggest contacting your retailer who should be able to clarify this.

Regards

Ryan
Post #521453 6th Apr 2016 9:52am
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
It is unfortunately as Ryan has pointed out the nature of the franchised dealer system where there is a disconnect between the manufacturer , the retailer and the customer.

The retailer doesn't always want to pick up the tab ( some do ) and Land Rover aren't going to write a blank cheque for dealers to offer courtesy vehicles left right and centre. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #521481 6th Apr 2016 11:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
CRC@LandRover wrote:
I note the comments made and can advise that all of our retailers are independent franchised businesses and as suich, are responsible for administering their own policies in relation to loan vehicle provision.

It's interesting that they are independent when it suits but each has signed a legally binding franchise agreement that means they almost can't change the brand of coffee without asking JLR first?

Isn't this the 1st pillar of your corporate strategy:

"Customer First – our goal is to delight and exceed the expectations of our customers by delivering unrivalled experiences through engaging products and services."

Cyrus Mistry
Chairman
Jaguar Land Rover Automotive plc
28 July 2015

rather incongruous then that you appear to wash your hands of such an issue, especially when it comes on the back of a warranty issue so that you compound a less than satisfactory experience with Censored poor service.

Your leader must be so pleased. Rolling Eyes
Post #521678 6th Apr 2016 8:07pm
Happyoldgit

^^Well said that man. Steve.

Post #521905 7th Apr 2016 3:14pm
Jukathy

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
After JLR gave up the Defender concept the retailers cannot provide any more adequate courtesy cars.

They can only offer a Mercedes G, Land Cruiser or Patrol. Laughing

That's the point where it has come. Neutral
Post #525259 19th Apr 2016 11:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1