↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > P048 recalll upgrade to p047 concideration.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alien

Australia 
P048 recalll upgrade to p047 concideration.
Like many members I've received my recall notice dated October 2015.
There has been discussion on this forum about it...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic33029.html
This link gives a fairly detailed explanation of what is happening with the 2 recalls...
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...47a3~0.pdf

So this is where the questions begin...
I always thought heavy duty was a spring/wheel package but is there a different housing used also?

What basis is given for a review of upgrading the recall from P048 to P047?

If a failure arises after the P048 is completed who is responsible for vehicle recovery and any further damage(axles etc.)?
Recovery can get expensive in remote areas and this link about Birdsville is where I'm leading a group to next year ...
http://www.raa.com.au/travel/blog/136

My case....
I bought this Defender to set up for remote and off road touring.
I tow a crossover camper trailer on all weekends away and have checked the axle loads for the larger 3 week trips(yearly)
Each axle is 50kg below the gross permissible and with the trailer on I'm 4100Kg.

Given the terrain I cover is where this issue is more likely to occur I'd like consideration for the upgrade.
I've contacted the dealer I use and he is happy to do what work JLR authorise.
I then contacted JLR CCC and while the person understood my concerns I had to contact the manager.
The reaction I got is the same as many others received, no doubt his phone/e-mail has been busy with this.
This line is what I'm hearing from friends also in the same position...
"Land Rover Technical Engineers in the United Kingdom have developed P048 as the adequate solution for this issue."
These links have some of the terrain I encounter and hope to continue to do without fear of driveline failure.'

http://gallery.bugs-n-bytes.com/_data/i/up...8c8-me.jpg
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/826...ost1030234

Thanks in advance for you consideration.
I'm happy to continue this conversation in this thread or by PM.
Cheers, Kyle. Cheers,
Kyle.

Last edited by Alien on 25th Nov 2015 3:07am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #473763 18th Nov 2015 3:12am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Kyle,

When a concern is identified, a number of investigations are carried out to determine the correct course of action. We work closely with the relevant authorities to ensure that our vehicles remain safe and that any remedial action that may be required is carried out appropriately to address any concerns.

During the comprehensive 3 year manufacturers warranty that we provide, this also includes breakdown recovery should a concern arise with your vehicle. However, once the vehicle is outside of this, the responsibility for recovery of a vehicle, would fall upon the vehicle owner and/or their chosen breakdown provider. Alternatively, we also provide the option to purchase an extended warranty with breakdown cover.

For any discussions regarding your vehicle and outstanding actions required, this would need to be discussed with your local Land Rover approved retailer or alternatively you may contact the relevant Customer Relations Team for your market. Contact details can be found by visiting [url]LandRover.com[/url] and choosing the appropriate market, then selecting "Contact Us".

Kind regards,
Pete
Post #473800 18th Nov 2015 9:25am
Alien

Australia 
G'day Pete,
Thankyou for the prompt reply to my concern.
As I posted originally I have contacted the dealer and they have been understanding, however, can only do what is authorized by JLR.
I then contacted the JLR Customer Care Centre and the call takers where quite sympathetic.
They put me in touch with the manger and I did not feel my concerns where listened to.
While I appreciate the costs involved in changing every axle I felt a case by case consideration could have been considered.
An explanation of why fitting brackets to a vehicle that is being used in the conditions the initial failures occurred in would have been appreciated.

I will get in contact with my dealer and have the P048 recall done.
The inspection for oil leaking from a failed wield is something I will have to get used to doing regularly.
Like many I don't feel my concern has been addressed but hopefully this recall will help in the event a failure.

Cheers, Kyle. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #474098 19th Nov 2015 4:34am
frostg

Australia 
Pete,

you mention that owners can extend their warranty and breakdown cover with JLR. But I was told when I contacted JLR here in Australia, that the Defender is the only model where a customer can not purchase an extended warranty from JLR - which contradicts your response and is a little disappointing!

Thanks
Post #515267 17th Mar 2016 11:40am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi frostg

Thank you for your post.

I note your comments and would advise that extended warranty policies and the terms of cover may be market dependent and for this reason, I would be unable to comment on the availability of policies in the global market.

I note that this was not mentioned in Pete's previous post, may I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Regards

Ryan
Post #515702 18th Mar 2016 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1