↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Timing belt kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sgilmour

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Timing belt kit
I'm looking to replace the timing belt on my 300TDi and am not sure if I currently have the old or new timing belt setup. I know the dealers were told to paint a little yellow square on the left hand side of the timing case when they had converted to the later type of setup due to the early belt failure problems but without looking I don't know if I have one there, or if it might have faded over time?

My question is:
If I buy a kit with the new setup (specifically this one: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-STC4096BM) and once I get the case apart find I have the older setup do I need anything else to change to the belt to the newer setup?

Thanks,
SG
Post #502620 9th Feb 2016 2:02pm
Alex1976

England 
I may be wrong, but I think the two main things that the 'updated' kit changed was the housing that mounts to the engine for a stronger version that didn't warp and the bottom pulley that had two lips on it to stop the belt slipping off and rubbing.

It may be hard to determine which housing you have, but when you take off the cover you will be easily able to see if you have a lipped or non lipped bottom pulley.
Post #502633 9th Feb 2016 2:31pm
sgilmour

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Thanks for the reply Alex1976. That's what I was trying to determine without taking the cover off first because I don't want to have to down tools and wait for parts to be delivered if I can help it.

Do you know if I order an "updated" kit but have an "outdated" one on there currently is it just a straight swap for parts? I've seen conversion kits available but I can't see what the bring to the party that a new kit wouldn't have already?
Post #502671 9th Feb 2016 4:00pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Did mine recently....
I Like Old Skool wrote:
Finally, almost 12 months after buying the Defender I have got round to replacing the timing belt. It has always been high on the priority list as I have no idea when it was last done but due to not knowing which modifications might have been carried out as a result of the 300tdi belt eating issue I kept putting it off. It really needed to be done in one hit and not parked up for days while I waited for the right parts to arrive. After a lot of reading I decided kit STC4096LG was the best chance of doing the job in one visit. I also ordered ERR4575 - crank oil seal, ERR4710 - timing gear O-ring and two versions of the cover plate crank seal ERR4576 (the old style rubber seal) and ERR7143 a different metal encased seal (I actually ordered two of these because having never used/seen one before I thought there was a chance I might fck it up at the 1st attempt Whistle ). Turns out the old style ERR4576 was the one for my housing. My best attempt at measuring and working out suggested the all metal ERR7143 would be about 4-5mm too thick and wouldn't allow the timing cover to sit flat?
The job went without trouble. Everything came undone easily, pulleys didn't put up much of a fight. All bolted up and running sweet as a nut now, if not better.

Anybody want to buy a pair of ERR7143 timing cover seals.......
Post #502738 9th Feb 2016 6:18pm
I Like Old Skool

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Here is a picture of the old, original style parts compared to the newer, modified items. I can confirm that they are a straight swap.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #502834 9th Feb 2016 9:21pm
I Like Old Skool

I forgot to say, make sure you take note of the reduced timing belt tension that was introduced to help combat the belt shredding issue. Haven't got the figures to hand right now but off the top of my head it is some thing like reduced from 14somethings to 11somethings.....
Post #503185 10th Feb 2016 6:06pm
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
If you have the old type and change to the new type you will need a front crank seal and the small o ring that sits in the back of the toothed inner crank pulley. I have done lots of these at work and if you don't change the above seals with the pulley they always leak Evil or Very Mad
Post #507737 24th Feb 2016 7:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1