↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sankey MkII Trailer - My refurbishment starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Both good points.

Will check the reflector situation, bet I've bought the wrong ones...

Currently it has these.

Click image to enlarge

and I thought I did well finding these... are they wrong Sad

I did think about getting another slider so good idea there also.
Post #494518 20th Jan 2016 8:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No, those are the reflectors you need. Thumbs Up

The ones to avoid are these:

Click image to enlarge
Post #494602 20th Jan 2016 11:46pm
biggles1670

United Kingdom 
Pleased to have stumbled upon this thread. This sounds exactly like the trailer I'm after, so I'll be watching the build progress with interest. Best of luck with it!
Post #494857 21st Jan 2016 5:33pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Not much update, Trip it Ikea..... put stop to any...

However, now I have the Nato hitch attached to a drop plate I did check the height.

Much much better, although rear wheel will either need raising on a carrier or taking off for holiday I think as its tight, although will take another look at this. Main objective today was check the levels as it has to 'look' right...

Click image to enlarge

compared to this when collected.

Click image to enlarge

Also probably spent around 30 / 45 mins with the car paint stripper to try, its not the nicest job around and will take me ages...but its coming off...

Click image to enlarge

so will keep plodding... Very Happy
Post #495620 23rd Jan 2016 9:21pm
Leeroy

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Your Sankey sits really well now I will have to invest, just need somewhere to store it when away.
Post #495679 23rd Jan 2016 11:11pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
No real update,

I think I'm going to get it blasted...though for a better more thorougher finish. Also the paint stripper stuff I'm using does not go that far on this paint, so actually it will not work out that much cheaper.

I've sourced a few parts and bought some axle stands. I also managed to bag a great pair of tyres to match my cars continentals from e-bay. Someone needed the space and I needed the tyres Smile

Today I spotted this at the side of the road up against a hedge...and though mmmmm I wonder if cut down that would work on the sankey. Anyway on my way home it was still there? is that wrong... Its like 'lorry kill' on the road. Has to be worth a try for free.

Its off a lorry or rear artic trailer? maybe no good but....

I've also manged to get the sankey in my 'bad garage' by moving stuff round so that's good. Hopefully lighter nights soon will see some progress.
Post #502850 9th Feb 2016 9:48pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Half term to off with kids and managed to sneak out for an hour to do a couple of jobs,

Started taking lights apart although the fog lights seem stuck. Ready to give them a good clean. Side reflector removed as was broken anyway.

Will aim to keep all the bits together that I take off, ready to be refitted after cleaning or replacing where possible,

Click image to enlarge

Managed to get the trailer in 'my garage' so Mrs happy and means I can tinker a little easier.

Click image to enlarge

Then I also decided its unlikely I will have to hook the trailer up to my helicopter and lower it into a battle field anytime soon Shocked , So took off one of the carriers ready to angle grind it off. Oooh and in preparation of fitting alloys Smile

Click image to enlarge

Also tyres arrives, continental cross contacts to match my car. A great bay of E find at a cracking price

Click image to enlarge

not bad for an hour in the cold Smile
Post #504987 15th Feb 2016 9:16pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Are Haribo tubs compulsory for working on sankey's? That's exactly what I used on mine for all the bits I took off. Thumbs Up

What's your plans for the lights/electrics? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #505021 15th Feb 2016 10:14pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Must be Smile

I hope to rewire it to a standard 12v socket and change the bulbs, I would like to keep all the lights original, not sure they work as not able to test.

Think it will look better original? Just hope I have the skill to re wire the socket (as colour blind...)
Post #505025 15th Feb 2016 10:22pm
Rosco

I agree the original lights look good, but I found that the threaded ring they mount onto were virtually all heavily corroded and was cheaper to swap to defender style lamps.

Rewiring sounds like a job for the kids to help with. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #505035 15th Feb 2016 10:37pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ more haribos Smile

Laughing
Post #505036 15th Feb 2016 10:41pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
OK so a long weekend and the kids happy playing looking for eggs in the garden in between showers.... so I had some time to spend on the sankey,

Following from another forum members post about KIS Keep it Simple, I had a re think....

Its a trailer to be used to carry the stuff we use for camping, the extras to make it more like Glamping and then the bikes on top. It's ex military and is what it is. I think I've been thinking too hard on the 'finish' and 'look' when at the end of the day it is what it is...

My New Moto is KISS Keep it Simple Sankey. !!!

So I pushed it out of the garage and put in under the lean to (as it was on and off rain all day)

First off remove any flaking paint, under seal and grime.... Still plenty left to do but I've started.

Click image to enlarge

Lots coming off and if I'm not removing back to metal will me much easier. Wire brush died during this...

Click image to enlarge

Started to paint and underseal the underneath, Decided that these things are built like tanks and the underseal already on is pretty good so just add to it and more where its missing or flaked.

Click image to enlarge

Where the seals are I started after cleaning off the flaked paint off to then hammerite the joins of the tub.

Click image to enlarge

Then masked off one arch and after underseal on the upper part, painted the sides. Quite happy with the way its looking.

Click image to enlarge

Quite happy with my time spend with it today, neighbor came round and reckons its a great bit of kit, still loads to do but longer nights should help.

Brakes will need a good looking at, although it should be ok un-braked for camping duties?, 24v plug needs swapping for 12v and bulbs which will be fun for me... and some of the lights are very very tight to get to the bulbs...

All good fun though and keeps me out of trouble...
Post #518300 27th Mar 2016 9:35pm
Rosco

Looking like it's coming along nicely. How you getting on with taking the lifting rings off the hubs? Need to get mine done.

Decided on a colour yet? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #518305 27th Mar 2016 9:41pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I need to borrow and angle grinder and then bolt then to a piece of wood on the workmate... This is not my picture but I thought its a good idea and way to do it...

Click image to enlarge

Colour wise, I was going to get it shot blasted, then sprayed in 2 pack to match my car (santorini metallic back). This however will cost a few quid (even just for the paint) never mind the blasting and spray.

So my new moto KISS.... and much googling later....

I'm going to have a go myself (tub first in roll on black) what's the worse that could happen Smile worth a try Thumbs Up
Post #518309 27th Mar 2016 9:52pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I have a set of SVX alloys for my Sankey. Once you removed the hubs of the bearings are you going to manufacture some covers? I am just getting a design together but cannot finish it until I get my trailer back fromy being modified.

If you have a design already would you share it? If not I will post mine so you can see what I have done, My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #518312 27th Mar 2016 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>