↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Range Rover TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I disagree entirely with the above 2 posts.

Those prices look like main dealer ones to me. If you read up on forums, you are bound to hear all problems but many of us have fairly trouble free lives with ours.

I've often done comparisons and the RR is as cheap to service and keep as any decent car. My dad's 3.6 TDV8 oil service at a main dealer was only 280, I had an Inspection 2 done on mine for 350.

Having owned BMWs and Mercedes, I know first hand what they cost and I'd rather have the RR.

Just had the front Brembo brakes replaced on my 5.0 Supercharged - you'd think these were the most expensive, but the discs (genuine) were about 80 and the pads similar.

It pays to know where to go, any mug can be ripped off if you don't know what the market costs are rather than inflated dealer or independent prices are.

Pop over to http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/ and come have a chat with all of us RR owners there, you'll hear loads of positive stories, plus the things to look for. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #499114 1st Feb 2016 3:09pm
charliebaja

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
ken wrote:
L322 Great off road

My old TDV8 AB

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Where did you get the add ons for it?
Post #499242 1st Feb 2016 8:07pm
ken

United Kingdom 
All Genuine LR

The Cradle for the Winch can still be found (LR say it cant be fitted to the TDV8) it can (Clearly Rolling with laughter )

The Rack is just a nightmare search but they turn up from time to time
Post #499417 2nd Feb 2016 7:27am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have a 3.6 10MY with 70k ish miles.

its fully serviced, does 32ish on a run, had it 18mths and love it for long trips, keeps the miles off the 110!

run it on general grabber ATs which work well for the terrain it covers, dvr trg, country roads etc, odd field.

Did have an issue battery wise, my threads on FFRR forum about it. put it down to battery and quality of battery. now seems sorted.

Off road wise, assuming same tyres as a defender tread pattern wise for comparison it will go further with far greater ease then any defender.

consider SC ones, lots about for not alot considering what you get, servicing is cheaper too. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #499712 2nd Feb 2016 10:48pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
RRUK wrote:
I disagree entirely with the above 2 posts.

Those prices look like main dealer ones to me. If you read up on forums, you are bound to hear all problems but many of us have fairly trouble free lives with ours.

I've often done comparisons and the RR is as cheap to service and keep as any decent car. My dad's 3.6 TDV8 oil service at a main dealer was only 280, I had an Inspection 2 done on mine for 350.

Having owned BMWs and Mercedes, I know first hand what they cost and I'd rather have the RR.

Just had the front Brembo brakes replaced on my 5.0 Supercharged - you'd think these were the most expensive, but the discs (genuine) were about 80 and the pads similar.

It pays to know where to go, any mug can be ripped off if you don't know what the market costs are rather than inflated dealer or independent prices are.

Pop over to http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/ and come have a chat with all of us RR owners there, you'll hear loads of positive stories, plus the things to look for.

I'm with you on this one.
Just had all my discs and pads replaced all round bought from Dan on here. 500 for the lot.

Camelman

Just sold my 2011 4.4 TDV8 with 32k on the clock for 31k they are dropping but a great car to own if you can find a good one.
Pop over to FF forum and have a chat the the gents on there.
Post #499719 2nd Feb 2016 11:08pm
charliebaja

jst wrote:
i have a 3.6 10MY with 70k ish miles.

its fully serviced, does 32ish on a run, had it 18mths and love it for long trips, keeps the miles off the 110!

run it on general grabber ATs which work well for the terrain it covers, dvr trg, country roads etc, odd field.

Did have an issue battery wise, my threads on FFRR forum about it. put it down to battery and quality of battery. now seems sorted.

Off road wise, assuming same tyres as a defender tread pattern wise for comparison it will go further with far greater ease then any defender.

consider SC ones, lots about for not alot considering what you get, servicing is cheaper too.

Sorry but what is SC ? I am unsure of that term!!
Post #500159 3rd Feb 2016 11:50pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
supercharged 
Post #500176 4th Feb 2016 12:35am
charliebaja

So after all these good words, Do i sell my TD5 110 and buy one?!!!
Post #500676 5th Feb 2016 12:03am
uncas

United Kingdom 
Charliebaja if you have an itch that needs scratching then have a go. I've thought a obout doing that but just can't part with my 90.
Good luck the decision is yours.

Uncas
Post #500775 5th Feb 2016 11:02am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Everyone needs to scratch the Land Rover V8 itch once or twice in their life Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 6th Feb 2016 12:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #500893 5th Feb 2016 4:35pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
In terms of off-road ability the L322 (and presumably the L405) pretty much trounce all over the Defender. Off-road durability not so much... Hopefully this video is visible but a small snippet of what a group of mates got up to in Wales last year.

There's a great read over on LR4x4 about the comparisons between live beam axles and independent suspension. The outcome is basically on-road, independent is best, off-road live-axle (as one wheel is pushed up the opposite is pushed down). However LR tricked up the air suspension in their vehicles and installed the cross-link valves. This basically means that they can switch between independent and live-axle setups at will. With the cross-link valve open the independent suspension acts like a live-axle. They also tend to have greater ground clearance as there are no diffs hanging down in the way.

The major downside is the lack of toys / options for them for off-roading, basically with the termination of the G4 there are very few around although as their price drops there are more becoming available, slowly. My main gripe is the low profile tyres, being a TDV8 unless I fork out for a set of Compmotive alloys 19" is the smallest I can go. Certainly in the UK where most tracks are driven by Defender width vehicles you tend to be rubbing the sidewalls the whole time.

In the 3 years I've owned it it's covered about 50k (150k car) and the following things have been done outside normally servicing:
- Low pressure pump in tank failed (replaced under warranty)
- Alternator died (~100, did this myself, apparently saved about 800 worth of labour)
- Replaced intercooler pipes (~100)
- Front air suspension (~800, was able to source both front springs +VAT+delivery for less than LR were asking for one side), about 200 to fit.
- Various calipers & discs

If you do the servicing yourself and do preventative maintenance then they're not too expensive. My main problem has been that I've been using it off-road like a Defender and it's been not the cheapest because of it - 2k worth of tyres in 3 years...

As all around vehicle they are very difficult to beat - certainly an immensely capable tow vehicle. However when things break they're slightly more difficult to fix in the field compared to the Defender. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #501168 6th Feb 2016 10:18am
BossHog

England 
I put 110k on my last L322 3.0 diesel vogue, used daily on M/way only issue outside servicing was a problem with fuel pressure switch on fuel rail, and in that time only one set of tyres ! new replacement switch actually reduced mpg. My present RRS, well won't temp fate but all's good ( but not the same). Once you have had one nothing else will do, lovely car, cracking drive, and not that costly tbh.
Post #501185 6th Feb 2016 10:43am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
sako243 wrote:
In terms of off-road ability the L322 (and presumably the L405) pretty much trounce all over the Defender. Off-road durability not so much... Hopefully this video is visible but a small snippet of what a group of mates got up to in Wales last year.

(...)

As all around vehicle they are very difficult to beat - certainly an immensely capable tow vehicle. However when things break they're slightly more difficult to fix in the field compared to the Defender.

More evidence to back up Ed's record:

Click image to enlarge

Poor photo, but that's going up The Fox in the Lakes ahead of me a few years ago. Ed's Range Rover went everywhere the Defenders did and I dare say in a lot more comfort. Only issue being the tyres as mentioned.
Post #501202 6th Feb 2016 11:22am
Petronius4

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I had the TDV8 4.4 Range Rover in Westminster guise. One of the last L322 vehicles. I absolutely loved it, supremely comfortable and a great motorway car - regularly returned 30mpg. Bit like driving your very own armchair.

Very capable, as you would imagine, off road and great hauler of stuff. The only slight thing I would criticize would be the in-car tech. Sat Nav was very dated, screen too small, voice recognition terrible and very limited in functionality - I always got the impression Land Rover had decided that as the new model was on its way the L322 received no real tech upgrades. I found the tailgate a bit irritating as well - I'm 5'10" and could never reach anything at the back of the boot!

All that said I now drive my Defender daily so you can see it makes not a blind bit of difference what in-car tech etc you have if you love the car...

Do regret selling it though. A lot. -------------------------------
👲🏻 1986 ex-Military 90 NAD 2.5 Soft Top. Sold
🇬🇧 2015 Defender 90 - Ripon Landrover Heritage 006
Post #501291 6th Feb 2016 3:26pm
Spectre

United Kingdom 
Had both the 3.6 and the 4.4 diesel and now a Supercarged.

Mileage is not an issue, 3.6 hit 99k and still felt and drove AS NEW.

The 3.6 has good go, great throttle response. If you go for the 3.6 make sure you go for the 2010+ with the new dash and facelifted interior and exterior.

The 4.4 is very smooth and sounds like a petrol V8. Great car.

The Supercharged is the daddy Bow down
Post #501964 8th Feb 2016 1:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12