↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > CHT sensor or water pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tjhappel

United States 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
CHT sensor or water pump
For the past year or so my vehicle has struggled badly going up steep grades, especially when towing and it's hot out. Temps go up and then she goes into limp mode. I've installed a larger more efficient radiator, larger intercooler and it still gets hot. It's normal for it to run on the flats at 85c but ant steep grade and it's right up to 110. I'm loosing a bit of coolant but not a ton, I unfortunately used a bottle of head gasket sealer thinking I maybe had a small crack in the head, I followed all instructions, replaced thermostat on radiator and flushed system several times. Everything is operating normally however the ultra gauge thermostat (takes it reading from the cht sensor) is now acting up, it's showing really high temp readings and I don't believe they could be accurate, a day after I added a bottle of that gunk the temp reading from cht sensor is over 100 all the time, it goes up to normal temp fine but then cruising at highway speeds it's WAY high. I used a heat gun on the radiator and that's working just fine so I'm thinking some of that stuff is stuck on the cht sensor? The next thing for me to do is get a pressure test done on the block to see if it's leaking, after that I was thinking of changing the water pump?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really stuck on this one.... I've tried to remove the cht sensor but I don't have the tools here at home, I'll have my local shop do that next. Maybe that's the source of all my issues? I've checked through all the threads and can't find anything related to that sensor. I do live in a hot climate and I know pumas are not typically the best with heat but I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to drive it like any other normal vehicle.
Post #311160 24th Feb 2014 2:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
try un plugging the cht in the short term.

I did and it didn't seem to make a huge difference. I believe it may be there for the start up strategy - not sure how much (if anything) it does after start up?

from my experience there's no short term issue in having it disconnected.
Post #499418 2nd Feb 2016 6:32am
hornet

Re: CHT sensor or water pump
[quote="Tjhappel"]For the past year or so my vehicle has struggled badly going up steep grades, especially when towing and it's hot out. [...][/quote]

You shoud check/clean the following first:

1. MAP sensor
2. MAF sensor
3. Turbo hoses
6. Air-filter/Intake?

Then change CHT sensor.

There might be still some other reasons, worst case would be a head issue. Which amount of coolingwater do you loose in which time? You can do a test with the cooling water to clarify if the head has a crack, can't remember the name of that test...

HTH
Post #499456 2nd Feb 2016 9:20am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Caterham wrote:
try un plugging the cht in the short term.

I did and it didn't seem to make a huge difference. I believe it may be there for the start up strategy - not sure how much (if anything) it does after start up?

from my experience there's no short term issue in having it disconnected.

oops - think I was 2 years too late.... Rolling with laughter
Post #501419 6th Feb 2016 7:52pm
Tjhappel

United States 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yep! But luckily I'm still dealing with overheat issues, love my defender Very Happy
Since this post I've upgraded radiators, put a smaller intercooler on and moved it forward a bit more to let the radiator get more air. It's working well now but of course I'm in winter so ambient temps are low. It's so weird, if it's under 22 I can climb or tow anything, over 27 and I can barely drive at freeway speeds.

Thanks for the reply,
Post #501922 7th Feb 2016 10:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hornet

[quote="Caterham"][quote="Caterham"]
oops - think I was 2 years too late.... :rolllaugh:[/quote]

:oops:
Post #502125 8th Feb 2016 1:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1