Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Engine Problems with Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jackal

United Kingdom 
Engine Problems with Defender
Good Evening
My dad always wanted a new defender and wanted one of the last british made ones, so he purchased his Defender around 10months ago. Bought brand new Reg MM64 JYA with 10miles on it... Its covered a total of 1600Miles and had been in the Hunters dealership Garstang twice for a total of over 2 months (Still don't have it back)

At 600 miles old the defender suddenly did not want to start... LR sent one of your technicans to it who said the fuel pump had failed. It got send off to hunters who put a new fuel pump on it... This had taken them around 3 weeks to complete.
Another vehicle was offered but we did take LR up on the offer.

At 1600miles on a 600 Miles round trip towing a trailer it suddenly failed again... This time it failed with a massive bang coming from the engine... and coming to a juddering stop.... The bang was so loud it sounded like it had thrown a rod out the engine! The vehicle was recovered by the AA (organised by LR) The vehicle was then put in over night storage... because it was to late to deliver back to LR Hunters. We are unsure what happened then because it everything went quite... It was only when we ask LR what was going on Nobody could answer the questions...We will call you back... nobody ever called us back. Communication is very very poor... We where offered another vehicle while ours was being fixed. So we tock them up on the offer... We use the defender to tow things and put stuff in the rear for dads business!! A New shape disco sport arrived. What use that is to us I will never know... We where scared of ruining it!!! A step away from a commercial Defender!!!

After hearing nothing for a week or 2... we made contact with hunters to see what was going on! ... Basically they had changed or was waiting for a tool to change the pump! (unsure how they did it the first time with no tool) a week or so went by and we made contact again for them to say it was running but we have a water leak from the Rad. so they where waiting for a radiator! a week went by and we rang them again to find the land rover was running but would rev above 3000RPM. They said it was suspect injector! We waited again... last week we heard that the vehicle would be ok to collect Monday everything was fine with it and it was running "sweet"... Yesterday we got another call saying they had an oil leak and its caused by a hole in the head!!! ( A rocker had caused this) but how did it run "sweet" the day before? Was this the bang we heard? I don't know! but one thing for sure its really getting to the point that the engine is a lemon! I would not expect a head to be changed by anyone on an engine that has less than 1800 miles on it.
They want to put a new head on it... I'm going to be saying enough is enough on Monday! We need to look into this abit more by getting LR involved! I know a fair bit about modern engines and there is usually reasons why holes come through the head!!...Putting a new head on will not fox the issue!!!! just the problem of the oil leak!!
We ordered an Evoque from Hunters not to long after the first time it broke down... its on order for the 2016 Plate!!! Worried is not the word!

Where do we go from here?????

Many thanks for reading this!
Jack Hull
Post #484054 20th Dec 2015 8:47pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Any news/feedback on this problem yet?
Post #487691 2nd Jan 2016 4:30am
Jackal

United Kingdom 
Land rover are fitting a New engine...
After taking the head off..it was found to have one piston lower than the rest (bent conrod)... and one piston having a valve mark on it.
when we went it and talked to the principal of the dealer they showed us what they found... resulting in a brand new engine being fitted. they seem to think an injector has failed and flooded the cylinder with fuel... locking it up and bending a rod very slightly...
Post #487797 2nd Jan 2016 2:00pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
The Reg, No is not a preston number is it? seems to have come from Manchester??? makes you wonder why Hunters were selling it?

I was in there once when an Evoque driver called in for advice on what was a problem but it was not booked in as he was a few hundred miles from home. He asked the Senior Tech. to have a look but was advised to call LR Assist!!! Only by getting annoyed and insisting that he had taken the trouble to come to a main dealer surely someone cold at least look at it to see if was safe to carry on. The Senior Tech was shamed into looking at it. Not sure of the outcome but come on, a main dealer suggesting calling LR assist.

I try not to use them preferring to go to Kentdale in Kendal. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #487879 2nd Jan 2016 6:03pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Hi Jackal

Thank you for your post.

May I apologise for the delay in response, please be assured that no discourtesy was intended.

I am sorry to learn of the concerns you have been experiencing with your father's vehicle and I note that repairs have recently been effected to resolve the reported concern. I also note that you may already have been in contact with Land Rover Customer Relations regarding this matter.

However, should you require any further assistance, please feel free to send me a PM with your contact details and details of the vehicle in question and I will be happy to look into this.

Regards

Ryan
Post #491819 13th Jan 2016 3:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1