↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Anyone able to re-home a Parson's Russell?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lost for Words

Anyone able to re-home a Parson's Russell?
A friend of the family unfortunately suffered a stroke a little while ago (she's currently still in hospital), and so, very sadly, her 2 year old, male, Parson's Russell is now in need of (fairly urgent) re-homing. Sad

It would be really great if anyone here, or friend of someone here, would be able to offer him a good home (if no-one is found soon, he will have to go to a dog's home). I'm hoping to get some photos to put up. He's currently located here in Warminster, and free to good home, of course. Thumbs Up

Please get in touch with any interest and I will do my best to answer (or get answers to) any questions. Thanks. Bow down Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Post #477600 30th Nov 2015 12:25pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
a few questions. has ne been done? hows he with kids and other dogs, terriers? can you send me some details etc PM me if you like.
Post #477604 30th Nov 2015 12:30pm
Lost for Words

No, he hasn't been done. I've been trying to find out a bit more; apparently he's good with other dogs - can't say re terriers without more info from the owner, but he's been good with other dogs walking (I would assume some must have been terriers) and with the MiL's Dachshund. I'm told he plays with the children next door. Don't know what he'd be like with livestock or how much he'd have experienced. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #477623 30th Nov 2015 1:19pm
Lost for Words

Well, I have news...sort of good, sort of bad; I'm very sorry to disappoint anyone, but she's now decided to keep him. She had decided he had to go originally, but on hearing that there are people interested, she now realises she can't bring herself to part with him! Should she find down the line that she really can't cope, I'll let you all know again. Thumbs Up

TBH, when I think about it, I think it's the right decision - a dog is just the thing to help you recover from a stroke.

Again, sorry for any disappointment. Embarassed Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #477684 30th Nov 2015 4:16pm
Lost for Words

Hi guys,

I'm afraid I have sad news; yes, having been out of hostpital for a little while, she's now decided that Wilf has to go...urgently, as she really can't cope, and I guess wants it over with ASAP. Sad

I've now been sent some pics:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Extra info: As terriers are, he's full of beans. He has been a bit boisterous and apparently nipped a couple of people when being asked to move off the settee and may need a little training (but he is house trained) - to me this just sounds like a typical, grumpy, little Russel really! As said before, he regularly plays with the children next door and is friendly with other dogs. Loves going for walks, as one would expect.

Please let me know if there's still any interest, as it's quite urgent now as I'm told the dogs homes are full presently - it would be horrible if he has to be put down. I realise it's not an easy thing to rehome a relatively unknown dog.

Cheers
Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #486836 30th Dec 2015 11:17am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“full of beans” “bit boisterous” “apparently nipped a couple of people” “he regularly plays with the children next door”

As Jaden Mack's parents said: “We didn't see that one coming”

Peter
Post #486888 30th Dec 2015 3:02pm
Lost for Words

I'm trying to be 100% honest, because I'm only an intermediary, and want no regrets for his current owner or anyone here, and for the dog to find another loving home. Personally, with the third quote in context, I'd think the above relatively normal Jack Russell behaviour. I'm not playing anything down that has been said to me, whatever I make of it (it has been relayed via a non-dog owning family member who I suspect has high expectations, for a terrier to be as obedient as a Labrador). Believe me, if I thought there was a chance that he was a genuinely bad dog, I would not be offering him to anyone.

Anyway, it looks like a new owner has been found on Disco3 now. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #486896 30th Dec 2015 3:28pm
Scammel01

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
I hope you manage to find him a new home, I think anyone that has had (or has) a terrier will agree that you have described every terriers attributes and vices perfectly Thumbs Up

I hope he makes someone a cracking companion Very Happy 58 plate Defender 90 Hard Top
Post #486902 30th Dec 2015 4:17pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Lost for Words,

I'm not anti-dog or even anti-JRT, but I'm realistic about them and I see you are too. Glad things seem to have worked out for the dog but, more importantly, encourage your friend to work hard to overcome the difficulties inevitably encountered after a stroke. I had one several years ago, cardio-vascular exercises helped enormously and my doctor was even able to get me 20 sessions at the gym with an instructor on the NHS. Poor balance and general clumsiness remain, but today most people wouldn't know I'd had one.

Peter
Post #486903 30th Dec 2015 4:18pm
fathaggis

Scotland 
if was closer to me i would have taken him and he would love up here with the husky and westi Big Cry
Post #486907 30th Dec 2015 4:29pm
Lost for Words

Glad to hear you've made a good recovery. I shall certainly pass on your advice. Thumbs Up

And no worries, I didn't read it as anti anything either. I know how much trust it requires on both parts so it's not easy - on any other forum I wouldn't dream of attempting to re-home a dog; yet another testament to Martin's management, and the LR community as a whole. Smile Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #486911 30th Dec 2015 4:35pm
Lost for Words

fathaggis wrote:
if was closer to me i would have taken him and he would love up here with the husky and westi Big Cry

I'm sure he would. If by any chance it doesn't work out, I'll let you know. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Post #486912 30th Dec 2015 4:38pm
ken

United Kingdom 
How did this end ?
Post #660608 30th Oct 2017 5:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1