↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > A few wet lanes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
A few wet lanes.
I did a couple of lanes around Wales on Saturday , my good friend Martha took some good pics!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #477464 29th Nov 2015 8:58pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Great pics, It sure has been wet Thumbs Up
Post #477465 29th Nov 2015 9:00pm
adm2243

Wales 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Looks like the Wayfarers? Great photo's and great route Smile
Post #477469 29th Nov 2015 9:04pm
sgilmour

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Great pics and wicked looking lane Thumbs Up
Post #477631 30th Nov 2015 1:51pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Yes, it's the Wayfarers. GLASS had done a work party up there last week. Surely enough the fences and posts put in to stop the 'off piste' vandalism had already been removed...It makes my blood boil. Crying or Very sad
Post #477653 30th Nov 2015 3:01pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Yup, I was in that working party. A little article here about the work http://www.extremenorthwales.com/articles/...landrillo/

Shame some idiots have tried to wreck it already. There are further discussions about the next steps to prevent damage to the area.

cheers

simon
Post #477665 30th Nov 2015 3:30pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
A recent story.

"Green lane' drivers defend their hobby in row over off-road vehicles

Green laning enthusiasts have defended their use of the countryside in the Ceiriog Valley near Chirk.

Click image to enlarge

Local politicians met police officers and residents recently amid claims that people don't feel safe using the local lanes because of the off-road vehicles.

But the Green Lane Association (Glass), which represents all users of vehicular rights of way in the UK says its members have had to deal with obstructions on the roads. and have worked with the council offering to repair storm damage on one of the popular routes.

Lauren Eaton, regional co-ordinator for Glass said in that 2019 Glass offered Wrexham Council considerable funding, volunteer labour, and general assistance to repair storm damage to the Wayfarer, one of the most popular and longest routes used by all user groups in the area.

"This offer was accepted at the time, yet since that date nothing has moved forward, although 4x4 drivers have raised an additional £13,000 to help," she said.

She added that another local route, Whitestone, had continued to suffer from being blocked by illegal and dangerous items.

Click image to enlarge

In 2017 the lane was at the centre of a row when boulders, tree stumps, spikes and purpose-made 'caltrops' - made up of two or more sharp nails or spines - were strewn across its surface.

Ms Eaton added: "These illegal and dangerous items have continued to block and litter the public right of way for years; horrific, sharp metal constructions often found hidden between rocks or sunken into puddles lying in wait to injure walkers, horses and riders, as well motorised users who innocently comes across them."

"Green laners have walked this lane countless times removing sharps and items that look like something from a medieval torture museum, as well as removing many boulders and tree stumps illegally blocking the right of way.

Click image to enlarge

"Several laners have paid for metal detectors to sweep the lane at their own expense. The Green Lane Association has invested in cameras to catch the culprit only to find them stolen or smashed."

"No one living locally has ever seen anyone manoeuvring huge stumps and boulders up there. Yet every single 4x4 is noticed - even the local vet coming to a farm in his own 4x4 caused an alert to be sent out between residents of the valley.

"The lane is now not accessible to anyone. Surely it is quite clear that these illegal actions are far more prohibitive to local users than the presence of motorised vehicles legally using a road."

Click image to enlarge

"As a local resident myself I drive, walk and horse ride on these lanes weekly. Other than storm damage to the Wayfarer and illegal damage to Whitestones the lanes are in a good state of repair and have low numbers of vehicular users."

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-...eir-hobby/
Post #910389 2nd Jul 2021 7:32am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
couplands wrote:
Yup, I was in that working party. A little article here about the work http://www.extremenorthwales.com/articles/...landrillo/

Shame some idiots have tried to wreck it already. There are further discussions about the next steps to prevent damage to the area.

cheers

simon

The discussions are extending beyond just this lane. There is a group making inroads to TRO the Corwen car wash as well due to irresponsible users. Unfortunately it sounds like the group are beginning to get traction too. Some very upset land owners, conservation groups around these lanes. A week or so ago I witnessed a nine vehicle tour quite frankly rampaging through the Corwen ford. Water reaching twice the vehicles height. It’s all fun and wonderful earning money leading people around the lanes of the UK but whilst chasing spectacular YouTube worthy videos the damage to the Greenlaners reputation and efforts of organisations like GLASS are being constantly eroded. The lack of respect some people show whilst using these lanes is quite remarkable, I have lost count of the number of bags of litter I have picked up along the wayfarer, apparently chucked out the window whilst waiting for gates to be opened/closed. Makes my blood boil finding broken beer bottles on the side of the track and sad at the disrespect shown…
Post #910403 2nd Jul 2021 8:59am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I have a trip planned over there in 2 weeks time to drive some lanes, in a respectful well researched way.... I'm looking through carefully planning the trip via TW2 and the OS maps as we speak.

Every article I read now says something similar to this (i'm not referring to the OP or the fact it's on our forum just the original article). Incredibly frustrating.

Anyone got any positive stories or good experiences that I can mentally offset them with? I'm pretty disheartened at the minute and i'm not sure I'm even looking forward to going. Sad
Post #910415 2nd Jul 2021 9:35am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I witnessed a group of 4x4 drivers rampaging off the track on the lovely Bomber Lane last weekend. I was in my S2a with 3 other vehicles.
When we got to the start of the forest section, there were a group of vehicles racing up and down the mountain side to our left. They had also been into the forest and had ripped up the ground considerably. These were not standard vehicles, they were heavily modified with large wheels and lifted.
I’m afraid it’s everywhere. I see it in the Peaks. Goyt Valley is just a playground in places now. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #910416 2nd Jul 2021 9:42am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I wanted to get involved in green laning when I first got my Landy, I joined Glass, did a couple of guided days just to get a feel for it, but all these tales of woe and conflict and not wanting to be aaasociated with the reckless minority put me right off. Too many selfish self-interested groups fighting over what are a diminishing number of roads. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #910418 2nd Jul 2021 9:55am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Matt110 wrote:
I have a trip planned over there in 2 weeks time to drive some lanes, in a respectful well researched way.... I'm looking through carefully planning the trip via TW2 and the OS maps as we speak.

Every article I read now says something similar to this (i'm not referring to the OP or the fact it's on our forum just the original article). Incredibly frustrating.

Anyone got any positive stories or good experiences that I can mentally offset them with? I'm pretty disheartened at the minute and i'm not sure I'm even looking forward to going. Sad

Ok folks... Take a moment and breathe... I know I had a good moan further up the thread, but it really is the minority that are doing the damage. I am generally these days a solo laner and come across many bikers and a few smaller groups of 4x4ers that are perfectly behaved.

The way I see it is there is a significant lack of education about these lanes and proper etiquette whilst using them. I know the TRF and GLASS do their bit but to be honest I haven't seen nor heard any of them inputting in to my brain-space, so if they are missing me then they are more than likely missing many many many users of greenlanes. I fear it is a case of those whom are inclined to do the thing properly go looking for the information and the rest don't give two hoots and fall through the gaps. These organisations need to be significantly more vocal and visible to make in-roads in to the problem of illegal off-roading. It's a BIG issue that even the councils struggle with and land owners have big voices at council meetings...

On the whole though it is only the few. And do not be afraid of talking with the people you pass, generally they are just curious and a courteous word and a smile later you are all on your way. The secret I have always found is if they want to talk indulge them and more often than not you are both agreeing with each other that it is the minority and you are not one of them.

By what you have written you are doing your due diligence regarding your trip, now get out there and enjoy the majesty that is Wales.

On that note if you are passing the Wayfarer or Corwen carwash give us a nod as I live here. Time it right and I will even open the gate across the ford to save you getting wet feet Thumbs Up
Post #910429 2nd Jul 2021 10:44am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Steve's photos say it all. Photos of a couple of cars on a lane in the wilds of Wales enjoying a day out.

I've been laning for 33 years this year. Keep groups small, do your homework, be respectful of other users. I've only had one walker rant at me (in the Lake District about 10 years ago). There was no reasoning with him, so eventually I just ignored him and drove on. For all I know he's still there with him palms raised looking at the heavens crying "for the love of Jesus". I kid you not!

If we, the responsible, stop laning because of the irresponsible, then we allow the irresponsible to become the norm.

Keep calm and carry on laning... JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #910441 2nd Jul 2021 11:30am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Was amazed by the size of that, it didn’t get there on the forks of the yard tractor.
Post #910442 2nd Jul 2021 11:37am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:
Matt110 wrote:

Ok folks... Take a moment and breathe... I know I had a good moan further up the thread, but it really is the minority that are doing the damage. I am generally these days a solo laner and come across many bikers and a few smaller groups of 4x4ers that are perfectly behaved.

The way I see it is there is a significant lack of education about these lanes and proper etiquette whilst using them. I know the TRF and GLASS do their bit but to be honest I haven't seen nor heard any of them inputting in to my brain-space, so if they are missing me then they are more than likely missing many many many users of greenlanes. I fear it is a case of those whom are inclined to do the thing properly go looking for the information and the rest don't give two hoots and fall through the gaps. These organisations need to be significantly more vocal and visible to make in-roads in to the problem of illegal off-roading. It's a BIG issue that even the councils struggle with and land owners have big voices at council meetings...

On the whole though it is only the few. And do not be afraid of talking with the people you pass, generally they are just curious and a courteous word and a smile later you are all on your way. The secret I have always found is if they want to talk indulge them and more often than not you are both agreeing with each other that it is the minority and you are not one of them.

By what you have written you are doing your due diligence regarding your trip, now get out there and enjoy the majesty that is Wales.

On that note if you are passing the Wayfarer or Corwen carwash give us a nod as I live here. Time it right and I will even open the gate across the ford to save you getting wet feet Thumbs Up

Thanks. Defender ownership can be disheartening at times much as i love the thing, laning is something i've always enjoyed, i like the challenge of the navigation even if it takes more effort, and not going in one of these massive groups means you stop when you want, travel more slowly, and enjoy being in the countryside which is what it's all about.
Post #910444 2nd Jul 2021 11:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>