Print this entire topic · 
Silverfox1970

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tunit box
Has anyone tried a tunit box on new defender puma? Any good? Thanks
Post #476556 26th Nov 2015 11:03pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I am NOT an expert, but I believe that these "tuning boxes" simply "piggyback" your standard ECU & "persuade" it to do stuff other than the norm, and I wouln't use one.
I suggest that you talk to Pete at B.A.S., or Alive, where you will be able to obtain a proper ECU tune for YOUR vehicle.
Plenty of info on here about tunes, Pickles.
Post #476585 26th Nov 2015 11:43pm
Silverfox1970

Thanks, just thought good idea to be able to unplug something as under warranty
Post #476587 26th Nov 2015 11:48pm
grizz

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I had one a good few years ago .. Not cheap and not very good .
Get a map from bas and you'll also get a new ecu so when it's service time pop the original one back in
Post #476590 27th Nov 2015 12:02am
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you get an Alive map like I have you can revert back to the standard map using the ATRIC device.
Afterwards re-load the Alive map.
Thumbs Up

No ECU's to swap over OR tuning boxes to fit / remove.
Post #476591 27th Nov 2015 12:07am
Silverfox1970

Thanks, think you've all made my mind up
Post #476593 27th Nov 2015 12:27am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
A good tuning box doesn't have to be bad.

Something I wrote a few days ago.

The only way to make more power is to give the engine more fuel.
El cheapo tuning boxes foul the ECU by faking/changing sensor signals to let the ECU think there is more air in the cylinder then there is. By changing the air temp down, air pressure up, air flow up or even fuel temperature up. Or a combination off these.
Looking at the tuning box here it is connected to the injector cables. So this tuning box just extents the injector opening times like my PSI Powerbox does. A remap does in fact the same thing only it tells the ecu to inject more fuel and the more fuel comes by opening the injectors longer. The only thing I couldn't find out is: Where the opening times are extended only on the end or does it also open earlier ( I don't think so) And how does that go with a remap? I think the same.

A remap can be better as it can also change other things like idle rpm etc and it can adjust the additional fuel over the rev and load range. The tuning boxes most off the time only give a fixed amount off additional fuel say 10% over the whole rev range while a remap can do something like 5% more fuel before the turbo comes in and 5% till 15% depending on the turbo pressure or something like that.

I just want to say not all tuning boxes are the same. Mr. Green

To add to this, a good tuning box isn't that much cheaper then a proper tune, so in that case I would probably go for a proper tune. I bought my Psi Power box very cheap from a friend and I like the option to be able to switch it on and off.
I have it normally switched off and only switch it on when needed Whistle mostly off-road.

I would probably go for Bas. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #476614 27th Nov 2015 8:07am
Silverfox1970

Thanks
Post #476632 27th Nov 2015 9:35am
DieselSteve

United Kingdom 
Administration team note - this poster works for Tunit and has decided to ignore the site's rules on commercial promotion and has added a "review" of their own products

Although I don't have a Defender at the moment, I miss it and I'm looking at grabbing another in the new year.

I have some experience with Tunits and so far they've all been great. I operate several diesel vehicles for work and they have the 'Tunit' brand installed.
As a 'premium brand', they're a lot better than some of the other cheaper options out there, but you get what you pay for!
I started originally looking at Tunits as they were only one with external research backing up all their claims. no other can offer an increase in performance, better fuel economy and lower emissions.

From the research side of things (some quotes from their website, and others):
The Tunit fits very simply between the Common Rail and the ECU (it can be self installed if you wish). Each Tunit is preprogrammed to suit it's intended vehicle and has some adjustable settings for the end user to play with if you'd prefer.
Because it works this way, it is completely removable and works with the ECU; it cannot operate outside of manufacturer’s safety protocols. This means it can preserve warranties and the vehicle can be reverted back to standard configuration for resale purposes or if you change vehicles, Tunit can be reprogrammed and moved to the new vehicle too.

I quite liked the long warranties, but especially the "2 year drive line warranty", which gives you piece of mind that there's no way it can do something daft and break the engine (unlike the potential from cheaper generic models that just ramp everything up).

Remapping is always an option, but that would erase the manufacturers specs and can't be taken with you. Would even cost the same again to revert it for resale.

Personally I wouldn't look back on buying my Tunits. Chuffed with them![/list]
Post #477641 30th Nov 2015 2:16pm
Silverfox1970

thanks
Post #477697 30th Nov 2015 5:07pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Well you would say all that as you work for Tunit Rolling with laughter Thud

How do you want to pay for your advert?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #477721 30th Nov 2015 5:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jaydt

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Having used one on a Mitsubishi Triton (L200) 3.2 for four Years ,12 months when I lived in Melbourne Australia and then moved back to the UK with it I found the box really good . power increase was up but was automatic so from 18 mpg to 24mpg with the box fitted. you could tell the diffrence when the box was removed. so four years with Oz use with better roads and three years driving around the midlands didnt do any harm to the truck. when i swapped to a 2011 110 (2.4) i fitted the box to it as i had no problem from previous truck. smoothness was better than standard and less less gear change in low gears .I ran this for 18 months until i took to an indie garage for mot and service and he spotted strait away the amount of soot in the exhaust pipe and said that the deisel plug in box was probably responsible so i soon removed it and dropped to standard until the BAS tune is ticked off the list of essential needs. in all fairness I only use the landy one a month so could explain soot.
Post #477723 30th Nov 2015 5:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1