↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Spot Light Wiring using STC53208 Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
mse - are you saying the OEM switch doesn't stay latched? So operation would be;
1) Put main beam on with column stalk.
2) Press switch 2 to turn on spots.
3) Back to dip beam via column stalk (does the switch 2 release??)
If that doesn't make sense, what I'm after is for the OEM switch to stay latched so the spots go on and off with the main beam, almost as if there wasn't a switch at all. But the switch would be there for flexibility, so I could have headlight main beam only...
As I said, electrics is not my strong point!

Further to this, I suppose I should ask for clarification on an assumption I've already made - I'm hoping to use this kit to power a single LED lightbar. Obviously the OEM loom comes with 2 connectors for 2 spots. Any reason it wouldn't work for my intended application?

Thanks.
Post #474031 18th Nov 2015 9:38pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
It sounds like mse had a custom wiring arrangement where his spots were switched only by the spot switch, not controlled with main beam.

The switch in the kit is latching and if fitted with the loom supplied it provides the 'isolate' function with main beam switching exactly as you desire.

Not a problem to use only one of the connectors, the electricity won't leak out of the other Wink  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #474040 18th Nov 2015 9:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L90Andy

Good news. Thanks for putting my mind at rest Very Happy
Post #474072 18th Nov 2015 11:11pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Im not sure either of that is what i was getting at but i can barely remember Confused Laughing

The OEM switch is latching - I was commenting on using the switch to turning the spot lights on and off got boring

The spotlights weren't triggered by the main beam circuit they were independent - which was what the spotlight 2 switch was originally for EG: not reliant on main beam being on or off. You could run the spot lights with the headlights on or off i recall or certainly with main beam on or off.

My point was if you are turning the spot lights on via main beam, why bother with the switch, if you need main beam you most likely want your spots...

The other scenario is you have them on the stand alone circuit where you use the oe button to turn them on or off - this just gets boring.

I suppose the option you guys are talking about is wiring the feed to the switch to the main beam feed so you need the switch on and main beam - but to me that just seems a waste and offers nothing additional?

What i was talking about was introducing a switch to allow it to run direct off main beam or through the 2 switch

does that make a bit more sense Mike
Post #474084 19th Nov 2015 12:37am
Martin
Site Admin

For MOT purposes spot lamps must have a switch and a warning lamp. That is why there is a switch in these kits.

It sounds like your spots were wired up differently to that intended. The kit under discussion here (and the Puma versions) certainly use main beam feed to trigger the relay.

Only cool kids who wired their own have Off-With Beam-On Cool Wink

Click image to enlarge

(Right hand switch in centre panel)  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #474085 19th Nov 2015 12:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

Mine were wired for a specific purpose, so no issue.

we covered MOT thing above - its not strictly true they need a separate switch for MOT purposes, its one of those self created rules from years of forums it seems Thumbs Up

Spot lights must have a warning lamp, to indicate that they are on - this is covered if they are wired to main beam circuit by the blue indication in the speedo clock. They are switched by the mainbeam switch so therefore can be turned off so as not to dazel this therefore full-fills the MOT criteria.

If you didnt use the main beam circuit they would still need a warning lamp to indicate the are on and aux light 2 switch covers that (just as you need to indicate the light is on at the rear)

I remember a discussion years ago on LRO forum and I think i found the a document that made this really clear...They do not need to be isolated further Thumbs Up many MOT's many cars, including land rovers wired that way

I might see if i can find that document actually Mike
Post #474091 19th Nov 2015 1:07am
mse

Click image to enlarge

One such document - still looking for the other Mike
Post #474092 19th Nov 2015 1:11am
L90Andy

Right got all the bits required now, and surprise surprise I have another question.
The image below is the LR loom with spot connector on the left, and the flylead from the lightbar on the right. I have a male econoseal connector to crimp onto the lightbar flylead, but which wires go where?
If its not clear, the LR loom has a black wire and a blue/yellow wire. Black to black??
Also, any tips for fitting an econoseal connector gratefully received!
Thanks

Click image to enlarge
Post #476517 26th Nov 2015 10:07pm
Martin
Site Admin

Black to black, blue/yellow to red Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #476518 26th Nov 2015 10:08pm
Martin
Site Admin

I can't really improve on this procedure if you don't have crimpers: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1864

The terminals you have are bigger so slightly easier to work with.

The dab of solder recommended is not a bad idea.

I don't know where you are but I am happy to crimp the connector on if you're ever in/around Leamington during the day Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #476525 26th Nov 2015 10:13pm
L90Andy

Thanks again Martin. I think I'm slowly learning!!

I'm taking those bits into work tomorrow as a colleague has the correct crimping tool. That doesn't mean he knows how to work it though so if it all goes bad I'll be in touch. I'm only 10 miles from Hooky..
Post #476548 26th Nov 2015 10:52pm
Martin
Site Admin

10 miles from Hooky is no distance, just give me a shout if you need Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #476554 26th Nov 2015 10:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12