↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > D.V.S.A. M.O.T. computer system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
D.V.S.A. M.O.T. computer system
We had the 110 in for service and M.O.T. yesterday although the M.O.T. expires on the 8th November ( correction expires 7th November 2015) we always like to get the vehicles we have owned in early. It sailed through with just an advisory of slightly corroded brake pipes (steel) which is only to be expected as it is a 2008 model.

That's the good part it. It was pointed out when it was collected that the M.O.T. paperwork now showed the expiry date of 7th October 2016, err hang on what happened to the extra month? Well it appears that the D.V.S.A. computers are now and again spitting out incorrect expiry dates on the paperwork and recording it on the system. When I rang D.V.S.A. they were apologetic and told me that it is a known about and are trying to solve the problem but it is taking time as it is not a problem that happens every time but is a random occurrence. They will issue new paperwork with the correct expiry date of 7th November 2016 but it will take approximately a month as they have that many in the system to correct and investigate why it happened.

Now the point of the post. Check your M.O.T. paperwork and ensure that D.V.S.A. system has identified the correct expiry date for your vehicle. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard

Last edited by ARC99 on 9th Oct 2015 3:41pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #461775 9th Oct 2015 10:45am
JR

Scotland 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Coniston Green
I hope you don't mind but I've copy/pasted this to a couple of Facebook groups I'm in as I think your post is potentially very, very important, especially if the Police or ANPR systems do a check! Best prepared in advance....

My apologies if I have broken any rules or offended ARC99!
Post #461815 9th Oct 2015 1:37pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Re: D.V.S.A. M.O.T. computer system
ARC99 wrote:
We had the 110 in for service and M.O.T. yesterday although the M.O.T. expires on the 8th November we always like to get the vehicles we have owned in early. It sailed through with just an advisory of slightly corroded brake pipes (steel) which is only to be expected as it is a 2008 model.

That's the good part it. It was pointed out when it was collected that the M.O.T. paperwork now showed the expiry date of 7th October 2016, err hang on what happened to the extra month? Well it appears that the D.V.S.A. computers are now and again spitting out incorrect expiry dates on the paperwork and recording it on the system. When I rang D.V.S.A. they were apologetic and told me that it is a known about and are trying to solve the problem but it is taking time as it is not a problem that happens every time but is a random occurrence. They will issue new paperwork with the correct expiry date of 7th November 2016 but it will take approximately a month as they have that many in the system to correct and investigate why it happened.

Now the point of the post. Check your M.O.T. paperwork and ensure that D.V.S.A. system has identified the correct expiry date for your vehicle.

I believe to qualify for the, so-called, extra month, one can only have the MOT test within a period 28 days before the original expiry date... Whistle

However, if a vehicle is tested more than 28 days before the current vehicle test certificate is due to expire, this time cannot be added on, and therefore you will be issued with a certificate which is valid for one year from the date of the test... Thumbs Up

As your test appears to be outside the 28 days, your certificate should, properly, run from the date of the test... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #461825 9th Oct 2015 2:19pm
Rickydodah

Always used to be one calender month Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #461833 9th Oct 2015 3:00pm
ARC99

VENOMATOR.
You had me thinking that I had been getting things wrong for the last 45 years so I checked the D.V.S.A. web site and this is what it says.

"Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different."
 Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #461838 9th Oct 2015 3:07pm
ARC99

JR wrote:
I hope you don't mind but I've copy/pasted this to a couple of Facebook groups I'm in as I think your post is potentially very, very important, especially if the Police or ANPR systems do a check! Best prepared in advance....

My apologies if I have broken any rules or offended ARC99!

I don't mind you bringing it to the attention of others that's why I posted my incident here., a PM before hand may have been the polite way. The point is that it your responsibility to check that dates when you collect the paperwork and make sure the expiry date is correct. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #461841 9th Oct 2015 3:12pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: D.V.S.A. M.O.T. computer system
ARC99 wrote:
We had the 110 in for service and M.O.T. yesterday although the M.O.T. expires on the 8th November.

I may be reading this wrong and apologies if I have. So you had the MOT carried out on the 8th October when it wasn't due until 8th November? Stick with me on this please.....

ARC99 wrote:
You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different." .

Surely to keep the same date as before your MOT would need to be done today 9th (today) not yesterday as you do not fall into the category stipulated above which I have put in bold. I do not think there has been any mistake at all? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #461842 9th Oct 2015 3:17pm
ARC99

Bow down Bow down Embarassed Trust me not to get the proof reader in when I want to make an important statement . Old test cert expires on 07/11/15 and it was done yesterday 08/10/15 which is a month less a day. I will edit original post. Bow down Bow down Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #461850 9th Oct 2015 3:38pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Your fault my mistake. Thumbs Up Bow down Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #461851 9th Oct 2015 3:39pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
ARC99 wrote:
Bow down Bow down Embarassed Trust me not to get the proof reader in when I want to make an important statement . Old test cert expires on 07/11/15 and it was done yesterday 08/10/15 which is a month less a day. I will edit original post. Bow down Bow down
Rolling with laughter

At least we may both stand corrected... Whistle

It was his mistake and not my fault... Cool

And we can agree the day was not wasted, as we have learned something from this little exchange... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #461859 9th Oct 2015 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1