Home > Tdi > Temperature rising at motorway speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DarkWheel

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Rioja Red
Temperature rising at motorway speeds
Hi All,

6 months or so ago I had an Allard stage II turbo and intercooler fitted to my 300tdi. I asked the garage that fitted them to tweek the fuel / air / turbo settings to take advantage.

My issue is, that now if I'm on a motorway and sustaining speeds above 60mph, the temperature gauge creeps up towards the danger zone. I put on the cabin heater and drop my speed below 60mph - usually about 55, and the temp gradually returns back to normal.

I've changed the thermostat and I'm about to change the waterpump, can you think of anything else I could investigate. I'm going to be selling the old girl shortly, but I want to get this anomaly sorted before I pass it on to a new owner.

Thanks

Pete Getting there slowly is far better than not getting there fast
Post #449700 27th Aug 2015 3:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
What do you class as 'the danger zone?' 'Creeping up towards it' may not be indicative of anything wrong? Under duress in similar motorway conditions also with an aftermarket intercooler and a bit of 'tweaking magic' when the ambient temperature is higher my Puma will run at 98/99 degrees water temperature at higher speeds but drop significantly very quickly if I back off on my right foot without putting the heater on.

Have you asked the same garage that did the tweak and did it do it before the tweak? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 27th Aug 2015 4:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #449723 27th Aug 2015 4:31pm
DarkWheel

"Danger zone" - The needle has been touching the red area.

I've not been back to the garage that installed the turbo and intercooler, but if fitting the water pump (And any other suggestions that come from this) don't have an effect, I will have to take it back.

Post #449724 27th Aug 2015 4:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

Was it all done at the same time? Maybe get them to undo the tweaking in the interim as a diagnostic purpose? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #449726 27th Aug 2015 4:38pm
DarkWheel

I'm not sure the garage would take responsibility for the problem after half a year - I don't really know them well, they were just near work and convenient. There is no harm in asking though.

Is there any documentation to change the fuel/air mixture back to "factory settings"?

Post #449731 27th Aug 2015 4:53pm
K9F

Start at the end and work backwards. If you make a note measure and mark everything before you adjust you can always revert back.

Thumbs Up

http://www.landroverblogger.com/land-rover-tdi-tuning-200-300-tdi If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #449747 27th Aug 2015 5:26pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Give your radiator a really good inspection, not just at the front but at the back too particularly the lower third, the finning here disintegrates and severely impacts cooling.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #449770 27th Aug 2015 6:16pm
Romadog

I had a 200tdi and changed thermostat and waterpump, only to be told that the radiator was furred up inside. They said that I had been using just water rather than coolant. I hadnt touched it though Evil or Very Mad

But issue gone once new rad was fitted. Thumbs Up
Post #449777 27th Aug 2015 6:26pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
The y shaped pipe that links the header tank, radiator and thermostat housing can clog and this gives signs of overheating, mite be worth flushing this out before swapping a pump.
Post #449785 27th Aug 2015 6:43pm
DarkWheel

Thanks everyone.,

I tried to flush the radiator out, ran a hose to it and left it running until the water ran clear, then repeated from the bottom upwards. - Sadly there was no improvement at all.

I'll try all your suggestions this weekend and get back to you - might help others with similar problems.

Post #449940 28th Aug 2015 8:37am
yostumpy

does the stage 2 intercooler sit in front of the rad........blocking all the cool air. if so best fit a std size uprated one

ps . just looked at their website, and it does block it off. Basically the existing rad cannot dissapate the heat generated by the engine fast enough. Either swap the rad for new/ known good one, or as said fit std size uprated IC. Thats what I rekon. Cool
Post #450383 29th Aug 2015 6:32pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i'd class radiators on 300's as a consumable item.
Post #450390 29th Aug 2015 7:01pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Have you still got the viscous fan fitted (sorry if it is obvious that you have not), perhaps an electric fan would do the job properly. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #450868 31st Aug 2015 5:30pm
Fossil

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
Hi, I have a similar problem, 110 with Allisport full width intercooler; it only happens towing a horse trailer (lot of wind resistance), up hills in warm weather on the motorway. I have just had a rad re-cored with 4 cores to try. The viscous fan is fitted but it may be it doesn't cut in soon enough. Thing is, I have only noticed it recently and I have had the intercooler 5 years so I do suspect the rad.
Post #451113 1st Sep 2015 4:27pm
DarkWheel

Thanks everyone,

sadly I've had a family bereavement and wasn't able to do any work on the problem over the weekend.

There's already a Kenlowe fan fitted and that works well, you can really feel the air pulling through when it's on, this gives me the opinion that the comments that the radiator is at fault are probably correct.

I'm going to fit a new radiator and the new water pump I've already got just as belt and braces.

Cheers

Post #451129 1st Sep 2015 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>