Home > Puma (Tdci) > Towing options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
foxkilla wrote:
This is my solution for an adjustable tow ball.

Way too low if you ever need to tow an ex-military trailer fitted with a 76mm NATO lunette though.

The best place for the socket (assuming that you only need one) is the recess in the crossmember, which is provided for ... let me see.... ah yes, the trailer socket!

It's also one of the worst places if you off road as it will get full of mud and corrode, ready in time for when you need it!

Mine used to be next to the tow bar, but that soon got smashed to pieces. Currently haven't got a socket on - either putting it indoors or somewhere on the tub, well out of the way.
Post #278279 31st Oct 2013 2:39pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Birdy wrote:
Why adjustable? Are you going to be towing a variety of trailers? The only thing I tow is a two-tonne boat on a twin axle trailer, on a standard towbar the centre of the ball of a Dixon Bate towball and jaw is 50cm/20” off the ground with the vehicle unladen, possibly a bit high for a small trailer but perfect for me.

And the electrics? Although my boat trailer is only 7-pin, I’ve a 13-pin on the truck; better to go for the more “modern” installation and use a 13 to 7 adapter.

Peter

The rear step step tow bar has two heights which don't work with some trailers - the two 'adjustable' tow bars give more options but the slider version makes it quick to adjust and change tow balls if you need to.

In the past year I've towed a caravan, a motorcycle trailer and a Sankey all of which need the different heights and in the case of the Sankey a different coupling. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #278282 31st Oct 2013 2:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AWOL

Thanks for the measurement Birdy - I'll do some measuring.

I've got 3 things to tow (horse/car/utility trailers), but mainly thinking adjustable if the standard fitment turns out to be too high.
Post #278283 31st Oct 2013 3:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Diablo wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

The best place for the socket (assuming that you only need one) is the recess in the crossmember, which is provided for ... let me see.... ah yes, the trailer socket!

It's also one of the worst places if you off road as it will get full of mud and corrode, ready in time for when you need it!

Can't say I've had any more trouble in the last 30 years with sockets mounted in either the PTO hole of Series chassis or the socket hole of current-style chassis, the crossmember recess really doesn't tend to fill with crud, but I do clean out the socket if it's filthy.

I have on the other hand had loads of trouble with sockets mounted elsewhere, where the back of the socket is exposed to the elements.

Horses for courses, really. It works for me! Also useful to have the correct answer for those who ask what the recess is for.
Post #278317 31st Oct 2013 5:55pm
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
Interestingly I asked Alistair at Richards Chassis about that gap and he said it wasn't actually for towing socket, but some military socket or other.

either way I don't have the hole in my x-member, being a tdi, but I just figured it would get full of rubbish/mud. Pretty sure it would on mine.
Post #278324 31st Oct 2013 6:07pm
sib

I regularly tow everything from a twin axle ifor Williams, to a single axle 6m rib, to a single axle small domestic ifor Williams. I never need to adjust the tow ball height. I have a 90 with rear NAS step and a combi towbar/ jaw in the lower holes. Works a treat, no need to remap on the 2.2 when I tow just over 3 tonnes.....how fast are you wanting to drive with all that weight on ? It's all about the braking not acceleration... Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #278357 31st Oct 2013 7:47pm
AWOL

No need for speed when towing - with horses on board you're pretty limited anyway - my gut feeling is that it'll be fine without a remap, but always interesting to hear people's opinions.
Post #278360 31st Oct 2013 7:57pm
Cadence

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I had a factory fit towbar and electrics on the new 110 SW I collected in June. I tow a large garden trailer and an enclosed race car trailer. On my first attempt at towing with the Defender, it was clear that the tow hitch (even with the plate and tow ball on the lowest setting) was way too high.

I believe that EU regs say tow bars should be between 350-420mm measured from the ground to the top of the ball. MyDefender is 550mm!

No wonder the trailer looks like it's dragging it's bum.

Called the dealer and LR Customer Serrvices both claimed to never heard about this issue. LR wouldn't accept my measurements even with supporting pics showing tape measure evidence.

Insisted I go to a local dealer (they didnt sell me the new one) so 'a technician' could measure and confirm. Just returned and waiting for LR verdict.

Anyone else had a moan about this?

If I'd known it would be an issue I would have bought the adjustable version. Censored if I'm paying for a drop plate to make my new vehicle compliant.

My Freelander 2 factory tow bar is spot on at 420mm
Post #443065 4th Aug 2015 2:13pm
defendercorner

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Chawton White
Do the EU regs apply to commercial vehicles? 2015 90 2.2 XS Hard Top
2012 110 2.2 XS DC
2003 110 TD5 County DC (now sold)
Post #443086 4th Aug 2015 3:36pm
Cadence

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Fair point - I had thought that might be the rational that LR might use - my Peugeot Boxer tow bar is compliant so it's a tough call. I'll do some more research on the web. Cheers
Post #443106 4th Aug 2015 4:31pm
defendercorner

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Chawton White
Just googled it and looks like regs don't apply to 4x4's ? 2015 90 2.2 XS Hard Top
2012 110 2.2 XS DC
2003 110 TD5 County DC (now sold)
Post #443135 4th Aug 2015 5:49pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
The regs may not apply but if the tow ball height is too high or low it dose not do anything for the stability or safety of the outfit. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #443158 4th Aug 2015 7:27pm
biffabacon67

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
JSG wrote:
I've had the genuine adjustable tow bar on my last two 110s with a Dixon Bate hitch (swop to a NATO on a spare slider if needed) and I find it the best set up. Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Totally agree!!
Post #445482 12th Aug 2015 3:36pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Towing options
AWOL wrote:

I'm a the fortunate position of being able to spec one from new before production ends and am in the process of trying to decide what to go for (110 SW). I think I've got most things straight in my mind, apart from towing.

The vehicle's going to be used for towing most weekends for the warmer six months of the year (plus perhaps the odd run in winter). I also want a decent rear recovery point (not planning any serious off-roading but, from experience with my SIII, you never know when these things might be needed)

In an ideal world, I'd go for one of the 2" receivers, tow bar, plus billet/shackle but they're not UK type approved? Bit concerned that if anything bad were to happen insurance company might use it as an excuse to weasel out of paying out.

The 2" receivers are NOT type approved towing equipment. Correct

However commercial vehicles do NOT require type approved towing equipment by law. Therefore an insurance company would struggle to weasel out as the towing equipment you would be potentially using IS LEGAL.

2015 Defenders are all classified as commercial or N1 vehicles with the lower tax rate.

Towing electrics? Apparently JLR only offer the 7 pin towing electrics on Defenders. Other vehicles you have a choice of 7 or 13 pin. 7 pin towing electrics are just plugged into a connector in the wheel arch. For 13 pin towing electrics some of the wires have to be taken to the front of the vehicle. Modern caravans use 13 pin so consider carefully what you are likely to be towing. Next carefully compare say cost of tow packet from JLR to main dealer and good indie.

Brendan
Post #445586 12th Aug 2015 10:33pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Post #445589 12th Aug 2015 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>