Home > Technical > TD5 & 300TDI Transmission Tunnel Differences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Browny90

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Stornoway Grey
TD5 & 300TDI Transmission Tunnel Differences
Morning All,

I have a quick question, after searching I can't find a definitive answer..

I am doing a rebuild at the minute, basically have a 200TDI Chassis, engine and box abut with a TD5 bulkhead, seatbox and Tub.

I have a Composite type transmission tunnel and a 300tdi diaphragm, I have 'modified' the tunnel and diaphragm to fit around the (LT77) gearbox so it all fits into place, however, there seems to be an inch or so gap between the Diaphragm and the tunnel.

I have screwed the diaphragm to the bulkhead and the tunnel to the seat box and both are sitting flush to where the floor pans will fit..

surely, in theory the gap between the bulkhead and seat box should be the same?

My question is:

Is there different Diaphragms/ tunnels between 300tdi and TD5 or between earlier and later TD5 Models?

Any help appreciated.

I have the tunnel in the car ready to measure if need be.

Thanks in advance Smile My 1986 90 is currently on a full rebuild, with new chassis, Paint etc.. Very much a hybrid, TD5 Chassis, tub & bulkhead with a 200TDI and LT77 GB Painted in Stornoway Grey Smile 2 years off the road, but getting close to completion now
Post #442602 3rd Aug 2015 9:08am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Without wishing to sound like I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, your bulkhead is fitted to the rear of the outriggers and not the front isn't it ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #442870 3rd Aug 2015 9:04pm
walfy

Pics would help. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #442972 4th Aug 2015 9:17am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I had a similar issue when I fitted a TD5 bulkhead to our 90. I ended up getting some mates to bring their TD5 90s around so I could measure the distances between the seatbox and the bulkhead and they all seemed about the same as mine.

The only thing I could think of was that the angle at the front of the beatbox was different (I fitted a new TD5 seatbox at the same time). The door gaps were all good and, at the end of the day, if the door gaps are good the bulkhead and rear body must be something like in the right position and at the right angle. I ended up trimming the back of the tunnel to get a better fit at the seatbox and filled the gap at the front with foam rubber. I decided that the front of the beatbox must rake back at more of an angle than the 300TDi one - that's only a theory though as I'd already skipped the old one by that time.

It may be that the TD5 tunnel is subtly different although as far as I could tell it uses the same part number as the 300TDi so it shouldn't be any different... http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #442991 4th Aug 2015 10:22am
Browny90

Quote:
Without wishing to sound like I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, your bulkhead is fitted to the rear of the outriggers and not the front isn't it ?
Mo

Very good point, but yes, it is definitely fitted in the correct position. the wings and doors both fit fine..

Quote:
Pics would help.

I know, sorry.. I work away from home in the week so I'll get some at the weekend.. Rolling Eyes My 1986 90 is currently on a full rebuild, with new chassis, Paint etc.. Very much a hybrid, TD5 Chassis, tub & bulkhead with a 200TDI and LT77 GB Painted in Stornoway Grey Smile 2 years off the road, but getting close to completion now
Post #442994 4th Aug 2015 10:27am
Browny90

Quote:
I had a similar issue when I fitted a TD5 bulkhead to our 90. I ended up getting some mates to bring their TD5 90s around so I could measure the distances between the seatbox and the bulkhead and they all seemed about the same as mine.

The only thing I could think of was that the angle at the front of the beatbox was different (I fitted a new TD5 seatbox at the same time). The door gaps were all good and, at the end of the day, if the door gaps are good the bulkhead and rear body must be something like in the right position and at the right angle. I ended up trimming the back of the tunnel to get a better fit at the seatbox and filled the gap at the front with foam rubber. I decided that the front of the beatbox must rake back at more of an angle than the 300TDi one - that's only a theory though as I'd already skipped the old one by that time.

It may be that the TD5 tunnel is subtly different although as far as I could tell it uses the same part number as the 300TDi so it shouldn't be any different...

Thanks Dave, That's helpful to know.. what doesn't make much sense is, It's a TD5 Chassis, TD5 Bulkhead and TD5 Seatbox.. so everything should be exactly the same, the only difference is that I have a 200tdi and LT77 fitted, but that makes no difference to the distance between the seatbox and Bulkhead, That's why I assumed that there must be different Diaphragms fitted to Early/ Late TD5's or 300's?

Worst case I will fill the gap etc, but I didn't really want to do that, I want to fit a Std moulded rubber mat and wanted it nice and neat.. My 1986 90 is currently on a full rebuild, with new chassis, Paint etc.. Very much a hybrid, TD5 Chassis, tub & bulkhead with a 200TDI and LT77 GB Painted in Stornoway Grey Smile 2 years off the road, but getting close to completion now
Post #442997 4th Aug 2015 10:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1