↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Six Speakers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Six Speakers
Me again with yet another car audio uneducated question! .......

Before I completely reassemble the 90 I was considering making provision for an extra pair of speakers in the rear. With the folding rear seats I'm thinking that location would most likely be behind the front seats in some custom made pods sat on the wheel arch. I'm not thinking anything bigger than 6".

So what wiring should I run? At the most basic end of the spectrum is it a case of just running them in series with the existing rears?

Or do i need to be considering some form of small amp (ideally within one of the pods) which would mean, +ve, -ve, remote on, phono pair and speaker connections?

I'm probably not going to do it right now but will hide the wires behind the rear side panels until I do the job.

TIA
Post #442102 1st Aug 2015 8:04am
scotiach

Switzerland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Scotia Grey
Two four ohm loads in series would mean your amp's output would be significantly reduced on those channels. If you are going to the trouble of having 6 speakers, you should amp them (all) actively, use onboard signal processing or a separate DSP, and add a(n active) sub, because 6 mid range speakers with no processing in 6 crap locations will still sound like ass.

The rears are just fill anyway, and may provide some positive interference for the front stage. Stick some 6.5s in the rear, a decent component set to the front, amp them all with a little c. 100w rms 4 channel, and bolt an active sub to the cubby. Once you get that sounding great, amp the component set actively with a little dsp inline if needed.

All IMO naturally.
Post #442659 3rd Aug 2015 10:57am
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks for the info.
I'll need to Google a few of those words, you're talking icetech to me Mr. Green
Post #442796 3rd Aug 2015 4:46pm
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Im doing pretty much what Scotiach said I think.

I will ditch the rear speakers and just have pods in front of the fold away seats.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Amplifying the fronts and middle speakers

Just need to find time!
Post #442801 3rd Aug 2015 5:14pm
scotiach

Switzerland 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Scotia Grey
dsp takes over the crossover, time alighnment and equalizer functions from the head unit, useful if your hu is older or basic. see e.g. http://mosconi-system.it/product/gladen-one-120-4-dsp/
that one incorporates a 4 channel amp, good for amping four speakers, or 2 sets of components etc.
active means a separate amp channel to each speaker, ie l/r tweeters and l/r midrange. so the above unit would both power and crossover only the component set at the front actively.

if you intend to go active '3 way' - tweeter, mids and mid bass, it gets more complicated - more amped channels and more dsp channels.

easier to work up to more complex setups slowly. amp your components up front using the supplied passive crossovers (2ch), amp (2ch) your mid bass 6.5 at the rear using the same amp (amp and/or hu will let you crossover high/low freqs from them) use a little active sub for the bass.

simple to set up, cheap and you can decide if it's enough for you and add an active dsp driven set up with more speakers and another amp later. just fyi simple 2 way active front set ups with a sub regularly win sound quality competitions. more speakers add complexity, not necessarily quality unless you spend time and money. sq is judged at c. 100db so plenty loud and easy to achieve with a couple of hundred watts powering decent component speakers. ghe tweeters only need 20-30w anyway before they get painful.
start with the basics and listen to your music.
Post #442813 3rd Aug 2015 6:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1