↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Any Truck Drivers on here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
martinfiattech

England 
Having lost my hgv on medical grounds. ( epilepsy ).
I know I will never drive anything over 3.5 tones for the rest of my life. If the chance of getting a hgv is open to you grab it with both hands.

If you can get an employer to pay for it go for it. Watch out for tie in`s.
Truck driving in the uk is a low pay, long hours game, you may only get paid by some firms if your actually carrying a load. Some shunting and jobbing work may be unpaid. Watch out for this.
There`s a lot of drivers running two tacho`s to get by.
A lot of the larger firm`s will use agency drives and treat them like something you might have stepped in. Don`t expect to get the good truck if your agency staff.
Also your induction may well leave something to be desired, I`ve had lots of agency drivers who have no idea.
1. How to speak English.
2. How to use a tail lift.
Let alone how to understand each different truck, yes ad blue and diesel are different Laughing
Be careful and watch your back, not all lay bys are safe, tank drilling /Load thieft does happen.

If your still interested all the best and good luck to you. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #392874 26th Jan 2015 11:41pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Alot of reading and thinking on this subject. Thank you all for your input. Bow down

Overall it does paint a very dreary and dismal picture of the UK's haulage sector, a few glimmers of hope but mainly it seems to be long underpaid stressful hours. I'm not adverse to working, quite the opposite! The point of this exercise was to gain extra work - more income. The bottom line is I can't afford the lifestyle I want so I need more money. I know money doesn't grow on trees so I need to go out and grab it rather than sit around waiting to win the lottery.

I am still hoping to do my training to gain the necessary as that will still be a door open for my own means (ie if I want to buy my own truck) and I'm a firm believer that one can never have too many skills on a CV. If I can get behind the wheel of a truck even if it is only one day a week, that will be better than nothing. All experience is experience. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #395020 1st Feb 2015 11:58pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Best of luck with your plans shaggydog.

Im 42 but got my HGV licences when I was young, thanks to being in the TA. At 17yrs old I got my Class 3 licence, then went on to do my Class 2 and Class 1 soon after (obviously now called LGV).

I havent driven any of them for the last 15 yrs or so, but I intend to have my medical when I'm 45 to keep my licence. I hope to retire aged 51 but to do so I will need a part time job and I hope my driving licences will help me with that.
Post #397286 9th Feb 2015 2:19pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Did you go for it in the end?
Only curious as passed my theory today and remembered this thread? Very Happy
Post #422943 12th May 2015 5:19pm
shaggydog

Congratulations!! How was it? What reading material did you use?

I am working my way through it, licence has finally arrived after having a bit of a run around from the DVLA spelling my name wrong on the photocard Rolling Eyes

Been looking up the theory side of things and asking people/delivery drivers at work who they did their practical training with and seem to have found a well recommended company semi-locally. Just saving up for it now and doing revision (I thought I had left all that at uni Laughing) Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #423047 12th May 2015 10:23pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Thanks Thumbs Up
Yeah not to bad really, I was only given the dvla book with the multiple choice questions and answers printed in the back. That was it though. Spent probably an hour or so looking through it and this morning before the test.
Didnt manage to practice the hazard perception, but that went ok anyway.

Just got to see when they want to put me through the practical now Very Happy
Post #423068 12th May 2015 11:02pm
shaggydog

Sounds fantastic keep us posted Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #423074 12th May 2015 11:18pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Another little update, for you to do some numbers with if you wish. Just took my test and passed it first time luckily (rigid not artic)
I was put through a 5 day course, 4 days training and the test on the fifth. I'd say that was the perfect amount of time to get used to it and the size.

Really enjoyable course as there were 2 of us doing it and the instructor in the cab aswell, so made it seem a bit more relaxed. (helped that it was an auto aswell and people are still more friendly to a big red wagon so got let out of junctions a lot Very Happy )

I'd certainly recommend it if your still interested. The company isnt to far from you either really if you want any details.

Now just got my blue light training course to go on next then ill be sorted. Thumbs Up

Instructor was saying to me they cant get enough drivers at the moment and was saying about doing a cpc course, but dont think i'll bother with that
Post #434950 30th Jun 2015 10:08pm
shaggydog

Very interesting Tom Thumbs Up

Could you PM me the company details I would be interested.

Sadly this little sideline has taken a bit of a back seat for now as life is proving to get in the way a bit but I'm hoping to get something started for the winter.

There was a very interesting piece on the BBC the other week about how there is a chronic shortage of drivers which I can quite believe but until the pay becomes more attractive it wont attract me away from my full time job so for now its more of a hobby thing.

However, if I play my cards right and get my life in order I'm hoping to get an internship in ether Australia or Canada doing trucking so it may suddenly become a very high priority Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks as ever for the update Tom, you are a true gent Bow down Bow down Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #434961 30th Jun 2015 10:28pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I looked at this a few years ago as a means of supporting the farm and in order to get a feel I went on the vans first, as a taster for professional driving. Don't do it. In my experience you become a disposable item or rather your license does. When you are fresh in then the delivery schedule is relatively achievable but after an alarmingly short period the level of expectation of what you are capable of doing whilst remaining on the right side of the law escalates to the point of being ridiculous. you and your license are easily replaced. I was lucky and survived for 3 years with my license intact before I was eventually reprimanded out of my job for not being efficient enough to meet the targets even though to have done so would have involved breaking the law. Best advice, don't get involved. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #434983 1st Jul 2015 5:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123