↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > 5 days in northern spain....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
So.....finally getting there in terms of finalising the trip (still got a lot to sort......and hopefully that's where you can help?).

having reviewed the Santander ferry and bilboa ferry they aren't going to help much due to the limited service (unless I've missed something).

looking to leave uk May 22nd on a late ferry to Caen (or similar) - not checked dates etc but I'm assuming they operate several times each day?.

drive to the Picos de Europe with a one night stop roughly half way there and back. Need to be home for the following Saturday (30th) latest, Friday might be better in some respects.

I'm a tight ar*s so I'm thinking basic but clean accommodate - was thinking something like a travel inn on the way there / back and a rural farm house type b&b in the Picos but would love to have somewhere with swimming pool as the children love swimming. would be nice to be able to go out walking and bbq.

we'll can do reading and ipad stuff if needs be for a day if the weather is rough but back up plan would be helpful if we have seveal days of poor weather.

I have no experience of the area so any pointers would be very much appreciated.

many thanks.
Post #323461 13th Apr 2014 3:01pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Don't think will help, but just incase

http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92810

Andy
Post #323468 13th Apr 2014 3:29pm
Luismi

Spain 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Caterham

Sad you do the trip on the 22nd as the 16,17 and 18th it the national land rover club meeting, this year in Pyrenees, I still crying as I can't assist, as this year it meant to be epic. Big Cry

anyhow in picos I would recommend the Camping Naranjo de bulnes, Very nice place and a meeting point for rock climbers, as this place its the origin of sport climbing in the country on the other side no need to mention that food its sublime.

and this allow you to do the track Sotres to Espinama , stunning views on a non tarmac road crossing the mountains.
when reach Espinama you turn right on the tarmac road to visit Fuente De, this is mandatory as well as take the cable car all the way to the top.
at this point you have had several options on walks or trekking of difrferents levels

Hope you enjoy
Post #323474 13th Apr 2014 3:57pm
Caterham

thanks land andy.

I think the return caen ferry is closer to £250 but might just drop him a line all the same as I believe dates and ports can be changed?
Post #323475 13th Apr 2014 3:58pm
Caterham

Luismi

many thanks for the info....will do some research on the info mentioned - thank you.

(I don't think the rest of the family would agree with the land rover meet so probably just as well the dates don't coincide)

Thumbs Up
Post #323476 13th Apr 2014 4:00pm
keith

Scotland 
A great topic with excellent advice and info . Thumbs Up
There's plenty of European travel help so Spain is a great help .
I have lots of travel info on Georgia and Black Sea travels for those interested .
Post #323479 13th Apr 2014 4:24pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
So Caterham - did you get to Spain? Was the trip worthwhile?

We are thinking of doing the same thing later in the year. Would be happy to hear any feedback/advice/photos Thumbs Up
Post #335627 4th Jun 2014 9:42am
Caterham

Jim Bean,

would love to report that we went and had a great time, defender was faultless and the sights were great - unfortunately we ended up in Worcester almost drowned !

so on the upside I have more time to plan etc and hopefully get the ferry booked early as so far as I'm concerned the costs of the ferry (and availability) leaving it to the last minute wasn't good.

I also have a plan now to head a little more easterly which I didn't before.

good luck with the plans and hopefully you'll get there unlike myself - in which case I look forward to the photo's.

Thumbs Up
Post #335634 4th Jun 2014 10:15am
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Sounds awful!

What went wrong? I'll certainly put some time into planning the ferry and reading through all the posts on this forum. Do you have a particular route planned?

I was looking at some of these but much french isn't great.

http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/espagne/espagne.htm

Best of luck with the planning!
Post #335637 4th Jun 2014 10:19am
Caterham

so back on the case with this now.

got 2 weeks booked in mid August. the ferries are looking prohibitively expense to Santander as much as I would have liked to do that so it's now looking like Caen and return Calais.

At the moment aiming for Potes in the Picos for 4 nights and then some 1 - 2 night stop overs on the way there and back taking in Normandy beaches and Pyrenees.

suggestions and recommendations on a post card please.

thinking small B&B's / self catering preferably.
Post #427218 30th May 2015 11:44am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Im off to Spain Sunday 7th June with the wife,,,, taking the GSA Smile

The plan once off the ferry is to head from Bilbao into the mountains in the North then head South, then East under Madrid, then up to Barcelona to watch the MotoGP, then head back via the ferry. Arse ache here we come Crying or Very sad 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #427234 30th May 2015 1:08pm
a13x

United Kingdom 
We are booked on the Santander ferry, 18th August, yep very expensive but breaks the drive up.
Post #427240 30th May 2015 1:27pm
SimonJ

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Barolo Black
Hi All

We are planning a trip through the Pyrenees in the first 2 weeks of August.... initial plan is to head North from the Med and follow the Wikiloc route that so many have mentioned..... Trace 4X4 Pyrénées traversée http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4489504

Driving down through France and will take the Dover/Calais route as my partner lives in the Loire Valley - I know the route pretty well!!

Incidentally I took the kids down to the Pyrenees last August; we left the Midlands on the Friday night got an early morning cheap ferry and were dipping our toes in the Med on Saturday night..... the journey was not too bad but fuel and toll costs mount up.... we have a Telepeage which I would recommend for anyone travelling through France, especially in August.

Take care all.... may see you down there! Very Happy

Simon Beware the lollipop of mediocrity��. one lick and you suck forever!

2005 TD5 XS 110 with a few extras...... first Land Rover and loving it!!
Post #427440 31st May 2015 10:43am
Caterham

simonJ, just wonder how well you know the loire valley area and if you can recommend anywhere for a 1 / 2 night stop over?

we're not looking to break any records (other than high mpg - of course Smile) and as such will be looking to avoid the tolls.

have a great time Simon,
Post #427521 31st May 2015 4:37pm
SimonJ

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Barolo Black
Hi Caterham

Try here.... http://www.lemoulindecrouy.com/en/ .....it is between Blois and Orleans. We have stayed here and the accommodation and people were excellent. It is not too far from the motorway or national route.

Blois is beautiful and well worth a day or two. It is a useful stop about 4.5/5 hours into France from Calais and 4 hours from Le Havre. Incidentally I often come down from Calais via Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres to minimise the tolls.... if I remember rightly it is 11€ or 15€ and pretty quick for a non motorway route.

With regards staying off the motorway the national routes are good but go through lots of villages/towns so progress can be slow and it is a big country. The autoroutes are not cheap but good value with the time/fuel that they can save. Check out http://www.viamichelin.com/ for a route and the cost of tolls for the route.

Hope that you have a great time too.

Best regards

Simon Beware the lollipop of mediocrity��. one lick and you suck forever!

2005 TD5 XS 110 with a few extras...... first Land Rover and loving it!!
Post #427585 31st May 2015 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>