↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Shaggydogs Running Restoration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 19 <123 ... 101112 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Haha! Thank you Chrispy Glad to know someone reads my ramblings Embarassed

I have many updates, hopefully getting the Headlight surrounds fitted tomorrow as I wont be able to sort the Swivel bearings until I get get parts which wont be until at least Wednesday.

I was hoping to get my Webasto Fitted up this weekend but due to Work being exceptionally busy (not a bad thing mind!) I haven't been able to make up the necessary brackets required to fit it.

Ho hum! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #425824 23rd May 2015 11:59pm
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
It's always either time or money limiting our opportunities to work on the beasts. Although today I had planned to finish off the insulation in the wife's 90 but realised i'd arranged to do two home checks for a dog rescue I work for as a volunteer. By the time I got home I was shattered and fell asleep in my office chair only to be woken at 7pm this evening so that's another bloody day out the window. I'm doing it tomorrow I don't care.
Post #425825 24th May 2015 12:05am
shaggydog

Quote:
It's always either time or money limiting our opportunities to work on the beasts.

Never a truer word spoken Bow down

Also massive respect for the dog re-homing. Bow down

We had 2 inspections (Battersea and RSPCA) when we were looking at getting our first Dog and have massive respect for the guys and girls that go out to peoples houses to make sure dogs go to a good home! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #425826 24th May 2015 12:14am
chrispy

Thank you my friend. We've rehomed a load ourselves over the years and are starting to foster later on this year. I'm not a huge Battersea fan due to the fact they have an absolute fortune in reserve (and I mean tens of millions) and they pay their CEO an astronomical wage when they should be donating their time or working for a low wage as it's a charity.
Post #425843 24th May 2015 8:05am
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
We got our dog Ralph from dogs trust, would not be without him. He can be a bit gassy sometimes Mr. Green
Post #425975 24th May 2015 8:51pm
chrispy

Brilliant. The best breed of dog is rescue Thumbs Up
Post #425980 24th May 2015 9:19pm
shaggydog

Great News Thumbs Up

Our Dog Teddy came from the RSPCA, sadly he passed away about a month ago from a very aggressive cancer which was heartbreaking for everyone as we only got him in August. Particularly myself as I have wanted a dog for as long as I can remember and it was a dream come true when he arrived into our lives. But I'm glad he did arrive because he had a much better and far more loved quality of life than he had previously had and I'd rather he left with us in a nice warm home where he was happy than in a kennel.

I'm hoping we can adopt again but we have alot of change in the family currently so may not be the best time. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #426198 25th May 2015 7:26pm
chrispy

God bless you for giving him a home my friend. I salute you sir Thumbs Up
Post #426205 25th May 2015 7:38pm
nidge n

we should really start a "our dog" thread. Thumbs Up
Post #426294 26th May 2015 8:19am
chrispy

Good suggestion my friend, i've just started one in off topic if anyone would like to participate.
Post #426308 26th May 2015 8:47am
shaggydog

Swivel pin Rebuild! -Slightly different approach.
Hi Guys,

As was mentioned earlier, elsewhere I have found my front drivers side wheel to be showing signs of uneven tyre wear and when the vehicle was jacked up there was play at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.

Wheel off you could not move it at all but with the wheel on you could really notice it.

Anyway, here we go!

First slacken off your wheel nuts and then go through the usual rigmarole involved with jacking up a vehicle, Diff lock, in gear, handbrake on, wheels chocked, tea.
Now, I am quite tall and as I had to work on the floor I needed as much space as I could so I decided the most appropriate way for me to do this job was to use the standard Land Rover jack to raise the front axle onto a axle stand, then lower it slightly to take some weight off the jack but still giving me room to move around in the wheel arch. Not ideal, I would love to have a 4 post ramp, but this is what I have.

Click image to enlarge

First thing to do was to be able to move the swivel from side to side to work on it. To do this you need to split the track rod end. Luckily as this is drivers side there is only one to do. take out the split pin, find a tight fitting socket and unwind. I then split the ball joint using a splitter.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

First headache. I couldn't withdraw the pin away far enough to disengage it due to the protector plate bolted on the diff. Not that it really protects it much, but still its in the way so 2 bolts and off it comes, I moved it out the way.

Click image to enlarge

Next job is to take off the calliper. Ideally use a withdrawal tool to move the pads back a bit, I don't have one so used a pry bar and gently squeezed them back in. I then cleaned up the rear of the calliper to get good access to the rear bolts there are 2 of them and they are 12 sided so a good tight fitting socket is required.

Click image to enlarge

You can take the pipe off to remove the calliper but this requires you to bleed the brakes. As I need to remove the top swivel pin it made sense to just remove the calliper and pipe in one piece which means you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes. I removed the 2 bolts which hold the top pin in place, take care when doing this as the pipe is fragile and you don't want to risk breaking it or worse weakening it.

Click image to enlarge

On doing this the swivel will be loose , it may flop forward away from the vehicle which will damage the ball seal, they will need replacing anyway but it will cause a leak (as I found)

Click image to enlarge

Much to my irritation I found that a dribble of water came out which is never good, so I decided (as I should have done earlier Embarassed ) to drain the swivel housing. The plug was well and truly wound in tight and the head was quite badly chewed up. Luckily I managed to get a 9mm spanner on it and it relented. Another few ml of water and a few dribbles of grease. A bit embarrassing really but they are due for re-filling in August with her heavy service so having last been touched 3 years ago its not the worst thing, but still. But its not good.

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, embarrassment aside off with the calliper to reveal your brake disk. Mine are stating to get a bit lipped so next time my pads wear out it is time for a new set of disks too. I stuck the bolts back into the top pin loosely to hold it in place. The mud shield was also removed.

Click image to enlarge

I put the calliper aside resting it between the diff casing and the hockey sticks. the bolts were removed and thrown into a pin to be replaced with new ones on reassembly - they are cheep and not worth risking.

Click image to enlarge

Next undo the plate which retains the swivel bearing. In order to replace it you can ether cut it and the replacement (I'd rather not) or remove the ball from the axle. this comes later! At this point i loosend the bottom pins and withdrew it as far is it would come. It will not come all the way out due to the brake disk however it will come out far enough to allow it to release the bearing race on the bottom pin.

Click image to enlarge

And now the big reveal! Hummm what a crappy looking pin. It should be a nice machined finish on both parts of the pin, however due to lack of lubrication and water ingress it has rusted and badly pitted. The fact it is so dull indicates that it was only really working on 1/4 of the whole bottom surfaces which is not good. It was also very very loose in the bush with a good deal of movement.

Click image to enlarge

The bush itself was also looking very cruddy! Now for the heavy part.... the top was lifted clear of the bush and then unhooked from the bottom bearing, remembering to catch the bearing race. Then you simply (HA!) pull the whole assembly off.

I stuck the whole lot into a spare wolf wheel I have ( you can use the wheel you took off but I always put it under the vehicle I am working on and this wheel was to hand. Note the half shaft has a coating of swivel bearing grease. This is a sign that the hub to axle seal is leaking, I had planned to replace it anyway but I'm glad it will be worth it.

Click image to enlarge

What a mess!

Click image to enlarge

I will leave it there for now, Stage 2 comes tomorrow!

Also, please note this is not a definitive how to guide, this is just how I did it on this occasion. The reason for this method being used is that I didn't want to disturb the wheel bearing races.

Anyway, follow up tomorrow! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #428236 3rd Jun 2015 12:20am
chrispy

Looking good my friend, you're doing a brilliant job on your 110 fair play. I wish I could remember to take as many photos as you but I get stuck in to something and my mind goes blank Thumbs Up
Post #428404 3rd Jun 2015 7:30pm
Greggster

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Alpine White
Very good write up, good on ya!

Have fun tomorrow getting those swivel to axle bolts out Mr. Green
Post #428444 3rd Jun 2015 9:43pm
shaggydog

Thanks Guys.

Although split in 2 parts this was all done last Sunday - I just haven't been able to upload until now!

Anyway, here is what the top bush looked like. What a mess! The inner tuffnol bearing has disintegrated and migrated out the top and caused all kinds of mess and havoc. The pin itself was very loose in the bush so was well past good.

Click image to enlarge

Here is a comparison between the new (left) and old (right) pins. As I said, the bottom section (picture top) should be a nice shiny smooth machined finish all the way around but due to years of lack of lubrication and moisture ingress it is now a dulled and pitted appearance.

Click image to enlarge

The fun begins.... I used a drift from below to try and get the bush out but it was stuck fast. Eventually it released after heating it up to smoking hot with a blow torch and using a bit of steam engine engineering to get it out (smacked it hard with a big lump hammer) and out it popped.

Click image to enlarge

Now for the swivel ball. the photos get a bit sparse here as earlier I had tried one of the bolts and sheared it off. The rest came out easily with a good fitting ring spanner and a scaffold tube, this released the swivel and allowed me to heat the bolt up to cherry red with a blow torch and then wind it out using a pair of stilsons. Anyway here is the end of the axle!

Click image to enlarge

The swivel ball was degreased and inspected for cracks and damage. it had some light rust on the very inside of the swivel surface which I dressed back but decided it would not effect its everyday usage so left it be. Note the seal which acts on the half shaft which stops contamination between the swivel housing and axle.

Click image to enlarge

Here is a view down the axle tube into the side of the Diff. Admittedly, It doesn't tell you much at all really other than it being an interesting viewpoint.

Click image to enlarge

The mating faces of the swivel ball and the axle were cleaned up and the remnants of the old gaskets removed and replaced with a nice fresh one. The holes in the axle casing were cleaned out using a tap.

Click image to enlarge

The swivel is reattached using new bolts, note the order of gaskets, Rubber seal, Gasket, 2 steel plates. The lip of the seal faces the swivel housing and clips into it. This must be done now before bolting the swivel ball back on!!

Click image to enlarge

The new bush was gently tapped in, it had a very shallow taper on it which meant getting it in straight was a bit of a nightmare but with persistence it finally went in straight. Remember to use a suitable soft material on top to prevent damaging the top surface of the bush.

Click image to enlarge

Before reassmbleing the hub and swivel housing back onto the axle I gave it a quick inspection, the balls in the cv joint looked a bit red but they were all still nice and tight and there was no evidence of any slop in the cv so all is well there!

Click image to enlarge

The diff end of the half shaft was in very good condition, this is probebly due to the fact that it is in constant lubrication thanks to the oil. Are you listening Land Rover? Lubricate your splines and they will last! Also, anyone reading this, Lubricate your splines! (note, only 10 splines on this end!

Click image to enlarge

The pin and bearing race are heavily greased and then put close as you will need to balance the hub assembly and swivel housing in one hand, then feed in the half shaft into the axle housing, making sure it locates into the diff properly, then with the other hand pop the taper bearings into the bottom race, pop the pin up into the middle of the race and then put the top pin in to secure it all. Sounds easy right?

Click image to enlarge

Unsupprisingly, as this stage requires both hands (and girlfriend to help with lining it up and sticking the pin in at the vital moment.) the photos are missing. Remember you need to put the calliper back on (using new bolts!) Needless to say with a bit of swearing and jiggling all was successfully reassembled back onto the axle. The bolts all done up tight and the rear seal fitted, the stone guard re fitted and the bottom plug put back in.

Top Tip no 1! While making a cup of tea to celebrate getting it all back together, pour some hot water into a bowl and then put the one shot sachet into it, this will thin the grease out a bit which makes it a bit easier to squeeze into the housing.

Top tip no 2! Before putting the rear tie rod back in place (using a new split pin!) make sure you swing the assembly towards the bulkhead so that when you squeeze the one shot grease in it will get right into the cv joint.

The wheel is reattached and bolted on securely. I took her for a quick test drive to make sure all was well which it was and then retired to the garden for a beer and some dinner.

Click image to enlarge

The end result.

My thoughts on this method.

Yes, if you don't want to remove the drive flange and the wheel bearings then yes this method works fine, however, the reassembly process is a bit of a faff. Heavy and awkward bit not overly so.

If I was to do it again, I would done it the conventional way. But I'm glad I tried this way.

Hope you enjoyed my latest update!

Coming up next - boomslang loom installation and maybe some retro light surrounds? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #428467 3rd Jun 2015 11:09pm
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Well done, how long did the job take you? Looking forward to your next job its on my list as well Thumbs Up
Post #428509 4th Jun 2015 8:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 19 <123 ... 101112 ... 171819>