↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender TD5 turbo oil leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Defender TD5 turbo oil leak
Hi and once again I come to the knowledge well with yet another interesting issue, last week I noticed a very small patch of oil under the Landy, and after investigation did I find the U shaped hose that comes off the turbo and joins the steel pipe that goes to the intercooler is saturated, I have no idea how as everything else is dry, so I'm thinking it's coming through the hose, but from where? I've also noticed residue from under the hose on the rocker cover.
Thanks in advance.
Post #416525 15th Apr 2015 9:49pm
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
Have you had a read of my post ? A few down from this one ?
I think it was called " turbo oil pipe link "
Is this the same leak / area as yours. Perhaps ?
Post #416646 16th Apr 2015 4:46pm
ttuck3r

Daisy90 thank you, I did see your post and checked straight away but sadly it's not that.
Post #416744 16th Apr 2015 9:25pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The oil in the IC and the pipes could be from the PCV running from the rocker cover to the turbo. The crank pressure has to be let out, hence the port. This however causes the issue of oil also being forced through this, which is the reason it's fed back to pre-turbo (this is also partly due to the turbo creating an amount of vacuum to help pull this pressure & oil mixture through, though IMO, TD5's breath heavy enough to do it themselves).

This then mixes in with the incoming air and supposed to burn off, however, TD5's will start breathing heavier the older they get and if you start tweaking them (mine breathes like a trooper), so more oil will pull through and hoses will get covered and your IC will slowely fill up with oil and clog up.

This however doesn't explain the patch on the floor as it shouldn't have anywhere to leak unless it's escaping through the joints of the hoses or your IC is full up and letting it out when not under normal running pressure.

The other way of getting oil in your pipes is if the turbo is on its way out and letting oil through the seals around the compressor wheel (this could cause a runaway engine). Have a wiggle of the compressor wheel. Should be minimal movement at all.

In terms of the patch, have you checked all the normal checks? Rocker gasket half moon? The front circle cam seal? The rear circle cam seal? Sump gasket? Turbo oil drain seals at both top and bottom? Oil filter housing gasket? Rotor filter housing gasket?
Post #416793 17th Apr 2015 8:36am
ttuck3r

taazzukcb thank you for your time in explaining this is much appreciated, ive now stripped everything open to have a look and firstly the turbo rota is good, and there is no oil coming through there, the U shaped turbo hose has minimal oil in side but this could have been blown out passed the hose clamps as ive noticed the steel hose is badly blistered, a couple hose clamps are threaded to, so im going to start looking for some upgraded replacements and see if that rectifies the leak..
Post #416972 17th Apr 2015 11:29pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Have you considered fitting an oil catch can? Something along the lines of a Provent 200. IMHO it is a modification worth doing as it prevents any oil mist entering the turbo and the subsequent carbon build up. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #417001 18th Apr 2015 7:48am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
My turbo pipe is wet with oil as well, I aslo have it on the end of the interncooler (turbo side) and on the upgright where the intercooler is mounted to. This drips down and wets the front chassis rail.

Now I have a spare intercooler I am going to strip out the old one, replace with the spare and degunk/clean/check the old intercooler for leaks/pinholes etc.

Part of me does wonder if its blocked/restricted and causing extra pressure and now the oil hasfound the path of least resistance and is escaping? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #417009 18th Apr 2015 8:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1