↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Tablet/iPad Mount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
Hi Lambley,
iPad is solely used with Viewranger when off road by passenger. Sat nav for all else. Do use it when stationary to have a look at emails such as this during work time.
Steve
Post #404631 5th Mar 2015 9:28am
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
Hi Wildcard,
The griffin is a great addition.
I'll measure it later and post then.
Steve
Post #404632 5th Mar 2015 9:29am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Lambley wrote:
No wonder there's so many accidents these days, too many things going on in the cab, things to fiddle with surely distract people from keeping their eyes on the road. Why do you need an iPad when driving? What's up with a simple sat nav to stick to the screen when needed?
No offence but it's too much of a temptation to email, surf, Facebook etc while driving these days.

No offence taken.
I think the lobby for having additional or more precise navigation when not wishing to be directed onto the major routes, and for greenlaning, has been strongly voiced. However, your point is extremely relevant and important, and I fully understand your concern. The motorist is already dangerously distracted by the features on many modern production car dashboards, and things are not improving. How often do you come across a full frontal collision between two cars on a straight piece of road these days, and wonder how the hell it could happen?

As has already been pointed out, the iPad is a great bonus for the passenger too. But the whole communication package, satnav, iPad and mobile phone has to be used in a responsible manner. The brekes, and the chassis response of a Defender under braking means we have to be more attentive to begin with. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #404669 5th Mar 2015 11:16am
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
^^ I'm sure they are useful. A guy who I used to go motorcycling with was killed a few years ago, out for a ride when he was hit head on by somebody texting on a mobile. After that I sold my bike and I've not been on a motorcycle since. That's why it infuriates me when I see people on their phones and gadgets. I still go for local rides on my mountain bike but even then I see it all the time.
Like I say, no offence and I'm sure you use it sensibly.
Post #404676 5th Mar 2015 11:30am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I've got a 7" Snooper permanently fitted in my Defender which doubles as a Europe wide SatNav and a 50K:1 Ordnance Survey display. If I'm running 25K:1 OS a larger screen would be very desirable. I'm thinking of buying one of these to take my 10.1" tablet. 
Post #404681 5th Mar 2015 11:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
We use the Ram Mount kit. The X Grip will take tablets in protective cases. Or there are the tab tite type holders.

iPads can be useful on the passenger side of the vehicle but have to be used responsible. Not to be used by the driver when vehicle is in motion.

Brendan
Post #404808 5th Mar 2015 9:05pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you re sizes. The Survivor case has inner and outer sections, the rubber parts has sections of the edges where it may be possible for the holder to fit.

On the rubber covered edges the thickness is approx 20mm and the sections with no rubber are approx 15mm ( sorry about the "approx" but I'm not at home so don't have acces to my vernier gauge!)

As I was typing this my bracket has just arrived from Amazon, and no it doesn't fit out of the box, even after removing the rubber padding, but I think my idea from my previous post will work, the positioning of the support arms means that it will have to go over a rubber covered section of the Survivor so some surgery will be required!

When I get home and have access to my tools I shall get it modified and post a photo on here.

Btw Griffin are a great company to deal with. i also have a survivor cover for my iPhone, I put it into my pocket with some keys and scratched the screen cover (doing it's job). I contacted Griffin in the US to ask if they could advise how to polish out the scratch, they asked for a photo then promptly sent me a new cover free of charge!

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #406553 11th Mar 2015 12:46pm
Wild Card 90

Chris,
for sure you need to modify the tablet holder to be able to get around the 20mm of the Griffin.
As you suggested, cutting the tops of the claws is the first stage. I would leave the rubber inserts in the claw and use an aluminium profile cut to length to replace the missing tips.
Something like this....

could look like this installed....

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #408900 19th Mar 2015 9:05am
ChrisCM

Hi guys

At last my photos, can't seem to load them into this message but they are in my gallery.

The iPad is held pretty firmly and the case does a good job of cushioning but the problem is the stalk - it waves about all over the place! So not much use. I think I will be going with a RAM system, pricey but looks like it will do the job.

Post #415947 13th Apr 2015 3:07pm
Wild Card 90

Chris, post a picture of the bracket that the stalk is mounted onto. How have you installed it? You appear to have the same product as I have. The stalk is rock solid on mine. Unfortunately the base bracket, although made of stout 5 mm steel, does have a little bit of "spring" to it. If you donīt tuck the forks right under the seat rail (as far as it will go) you will turn the bracket into a spring, and the stalk amplifies the movement.

As I have fitted it, unmodified in my Defender, it has served us well on many trips already.

I have nothing against the Ram mount. However, if you read up about them in the net, their users deal with the same problems with the stalk. The stalk solution only works if the base bracket is absolutely rock solid and correctly mounted.
Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #416341 15th Apr 2015 10:02am
ChrisCM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, I think mine does stick out quite a bit from the bolt, I'll re-position it and see if it helps.

The RAM mount I was thinking of would be attached to the grab handle.

Post #416350 15th Apr 2015 10:48am
Wild Card 90

Chris, thats how I fitted mine to begin with, experiencing the same issue you described. Once you push the bracket in fully the difference is remarkable.

Because it is difficult to access the seat rail bolt once the bracket is tucked in there, it is tempting to slide the bracket forward...and then it turns into a spring!

I used an 8mm allen headed bolt and a ball type driver to tighten it up. A very compact socket might work on original LR hex bolt, too.
S. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
Post #416357 15th Apr 2015 11:13am
ChrisCM

Hi Stephen,

Same with me it was the difficulty of tightening the bolt when pushed fully home. I've had another go at it and pushed it right in under the bolt and managed to get a spanner on the original bolt to tighten it, I did also manage to find, like you, an allen headed 8mm bolt in case I couldn't tighten the original bolt.
I shall take her for a run tomorrow and see how we go. I shall report back!
Post #416530 15th Apr 2015 11:31pm
ChrisCM

Still waves about badly even with the slot fully engaged under the runner bolt, as you say, the problem is the mounting bracket, I can see it flexing at the bend, the actual flexible stalk doesn't seem to move, perhaps it is just too long and the leverage on the bracket is too much, though I must say, it is a pretty solid piece of steel!
Looking at the RAM mount on the grab handle, it appears to be a more rigid system so I shall investigate further.....!

Post #416643 16th Apr 2015 5:13pm
Hairysteve

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Barolo Black
I bought this last night for Ģ24-00 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arkon-Floor-Mount-...iPad+Air+2 as could not justify the amounts that Ram want to charge. Will fit over the weekend and will provide feedback in a few weeks.

Cheers

Steve
Post #469444 4th Nov 2015 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>