↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Decent Vineyards In France - Weekend Trip-able?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Decent Vineyards In France - Weekend Trip-able?
Hi Guys,

My weekends are looking a bit dull at the moment so to break up the monotony I am looking at broadening my horizons by broadening my horizon.

I'm looking at doing some trips to France, maybe once a month with some friends leaving ether after work on a Friday night Or early Saturday morning and hoping to get to a camp-site or château the same day, before returning Sunday evening/Monday morning

Does anyone have any recommendation for good vineyards where we can pitch up camp and sample the local wines before making home with a case(s) of plundered plonk?

Any Suggestions from our French members? Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #416396 15th Apr 2015 1:48pm
Force64

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Tonga Green
A bit too far for a day trip but we stayed last year in this place and can thoroughly recommend it.

http://chateaucanet.com/

Andy Defender Td5 XS90
Post #416407 15th Apr 2015 2:31pm
niwakijake

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Keswick Green
you'll get to Bordeaux in a day I should think. We ferried Poole to Cherbourg, and actually stopped near Nantes for the the night, but overall was probably 8 hours, and that was during summer hols. Inland from Bordeaux is Bergerac, don't know any campsites, but I'm sure you'd find one on the Dordogne
Post #416462 15th Apr 2015 6:15pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have stayed here a couple of times whilst heading south - http://www.campsites-france-lac-des-varennes.co.uk/ - not a bad site just south of Le Mans, so not far from Le Havre. The owner is a Land Rover enthusiast and took us greenlining around the area on a previous trip. In the village of Marcon there is a small vineyard where they do brief tours then will put a spread on for you - all washed down with some local vino! Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #416465 15th Apr 2015 6:19pm
shaggydog

That looks fantastic Force64 but as you say - bit far for a day trip however definitely on my to do list. Could happily spend a lifetime there let alone a weekend Thumbs Up

Niwakijake- Bordeaux is lovely have been there before and really enjoyed it. Again a bit far though- while I can spend hours and hours and hours in my 110 my friends possibly not.....

Humm, I may have to rethink this! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #416469 15th Apr 2015 6:28pm
shaggydog

Strang - Thank you for that very interesting to know! Especially if the owner is a Land Rover Enthusiast! Always helps to know your with good company!

A few years ago now while on holiday in the alps I boiled my gearbox oil and had to change it. Luckily the campsite we stayed at was owned by a charming couple who had a very nice Td5 110 and they not only let us change it on site but also gave us something to put the waste oil in and phoned the local garage to make sure they had some in stock to one side for us! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #416479 15th Apr 2015 6:43pm
niwakijake

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Keswick Green
settle for some Normandy cider!
Post #416484 15th Apr 2015 6:56pm
shaggydog

Sorry but I can't stand cider Big Cry

Whenever someone has one I always have a try of one but I have never found one I could drink more than half a pint of Sad

Ale on the other hand I can drink like a fish... Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #416486 15th Apr 2015 7:03pm
SimonJ

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Barolo Black
Hi you could try the Chinon region, not far from Tours (5.5 hours from Calais) on the Loire river. Region is normally known for white wines but the Chinon region has some rather tasty red wines (to my uncultured palate!). A good place to stay is Richelieu about 10 miles south of Chinon. I have stayed at the following hotel in the main square http://www.lepuitsdore.fr/ - make sure you request a superior room, they are OK one of the others I stayed in wasn't.

Also on the Loire valley is Sancerre, nice good quality reds but neighbouring regions have whites. The medieval town is on a hilltop and is very nice.... good restaurants and cafes/bars. Only problem is travelling through Paris.... I recommend that you don't on a Friday or Sunday night unless you know it well. Not sure of hotels but Trip Advisor or Booking.com could help.

Hope that this helps... Beware the lollipop of mediocrity��. one lick and you suck forever!

2005 TD5 XS 110 with a few extras...... first Land Rover and loving it!!
Post #416496 15th Apr 2015 7:36pm
SimonJ

Just another thought... Reims is only 2.5 - 3 hours from Calais if you fancy some fizz! Historic city and champagne!! Beware the lollipop of mediocrity��. one lick and you suck forever!

Post #416497 15th Apr 2015 7:40pm
shaggydog

Reims is good, do enjoy Champagne so will definitely bear that in mind Thumbs Up

Thanks SimonJ very interesting reading. Will have to get myself a big map of France and do some drawing and try and work out a few routes.

I'm getting increasingly itchy feet, coupled with the farce which is buying or renting a house in the South East so time to stretch out and go and see different people and places and see whats on offer Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #416500 15th Apr 2015 7:52pm
SimonJ

there are always the Trappist beers in Belgium..... even closer to Calais! There might be a small directional problem after a weekend enjoying the monasteries! Beware the lollipop of mediocrity��. one lick and you suck forever!

Post #416518 15th Apr 2015 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1