↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > 130 Rear Diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Standard Rover rear axle, with HD half shafts and HD diff centre (like Ashcroft locker), is much better than standard Salisbury. Even Salisbury with HD half shafts and HD diff centre is only just comparable.
We had Discovery used mainly for offroad competitions, and the only difference between standard front and rear Rover axle with HD internals and Salisbury front and rear axle with HD internals was only in the size of axle cage. Frequency of breakage of the HD internals was the same.

Just use the rear axle you have, and buy some Ashcroft internals. Every think for Salisbury axle is much more expensive, harder to get and harder to service. It if not easy to remove the diff centre from Salisbury axle, but from Rover axle you have just to remove 10 screws.

In my 130 TD5 I will remove the original Salisbury rear axle and replace it with Rover axle - with HD half shafts, Ashcroft locker and slowed diff ratio, for compensation of bigger tires. All off this is cheaper, than only diff locker for Salisbury axle. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #413402 3rd Apr 2015 7:50am
newhue

Australia 
umm...what Defender comes with a Salisbury front diff? What 110 or 130 comes with a Rover rear diff? A Locker. HD axels, HD flanges are all comparable for Salisbury, P38, and Rover diffs.

Sure you got your stuff right? My Defender and travels
Post #415664 12th Apr 2015 1:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
New 110 and 130 are made with Rover type rear axle. And Salisbury front also exists - a bit special. But from our experience from offroad racing, Salisbury with HD internals and Rover type axle with HD internals are quite comparable - failures with Salisbury axles with HD internals had similar rate as with Rover axles with HD internals. Salisbury axles are bigger, heavier and HD parts are harder to get and much more expensive. So no big advantages of Salisbury over Rover axle - with HD internals.
Stock Salisbury and stock Rover axle are a bit different think.
P38 diff has nearly the same internals as the standard Rover diff. So it is quite comparable. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #415804 12th Apr 2015 8:57pm
newhue

Australia 
Interesting. I now the Australian Army added Salisbury front diffs to a hand full of their NorForce 110's. It was to cope with the Isuzu motor they had specked for the Defenders they ordered. Have never heard of a Salisbury supplied by Land Rover, not to say it doesn't happen.

As far as I was aware Rover diffs we in the front of all 90, 110, 130's; with the 90 also haveing it in the rear. All 110 and 130's had Salisbury up to 2002 and changed to P38 sometime in that year. Still that is just Australian models, who knows what LR do to be honest. My Defender and travels
Post #415885 13th Apr 2015 8:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12