↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > dixon bate adjustable towbar on a 300tdi 90?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hxk494

United Kingdom 
dixon bate adjustable towbar on a 300tdi 90?
Anyone got one of these fitted? If so could you give me a measurement/picture of the section below the bottom edge of the rear x-member. i.e. how far down does it go?

Cheers,
Martin. 1996 300Tdi Defender 110
Post #412025 29th Mar 2015 3:49pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello hxk494

Here you go...(my old) 300tdi with a 200mm Height Adjustable Dixon Bate (Bradley) Coupling with Standard Slider.
mine had a NATO hitch fitted in this photo, but a 50mm Tow Ball (90mm Hole Pitch) goes on in stead if you want.

I'm just fitting another one (this week end) to my 2.4 Puma and have all the Drawings (sent to me from DB)
so can tell you any dimension you want for the 200mm version (maximum height adjustment) bringing the 50mm Ball down to around 35-40cm from the road surface (standard range depending on what your towing)...

Ask your question again as I'm not sure what you're asking... Question

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #412038 29th Mar 2015 4:16pm
hxk494

United Kingdom 
Probably not the best worded question!

How far below the bottom of the X-member is the bottom of the ladder section which is fitted to the rear face of the x-member? Among other things, I'm trying to figure out how much of a plough it would be when off road?

I had a similar fitted to my S3 and it wasn't too bad but think the ladder section may have been shorter on it that this one that I am planning to fit - http://www.paddockspares.com/da2121-dixon-...-1998.html

Cheers,
M 1996 300Tdi Defender 110
Post #412055 29th Mar 2015 4:50pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi hxk494

Got it... that one will give you 200mm of vertical adjustment, 5 holes at 50mm spacing on the 'side plates'
so you step down 4 X 50mm in total.

And yes it does affect your departure angle... or better put, increase you ability to plough up the country side....
your answer is between around 250mm to 300mm of clearance between this Dixon Bate fitted to the rear X Member (utilising the lower standard 4 bolt positions) and the road surface, depending also what size Tyres you have fitted... Exclamation

Can I suggest that you contact DB and get them to send to you (in PDF form) the various bits of the product your interested in. They are very helpful, and unless you go somewhere and offer this up to your Defender,
it does help to see exactly where your going.

It took some effort for me to work it all out as I wanted a set up that could take both a 50mm Tow Ball and Nato Hitch, both at 3500kg and all fitted to a NAS Rear Step. I also wanted the double Pin Slider type, now fitted with X2 R clips to get it's Euro E11 compliance certificate. I also wanted the Tow Ball (on a Double Slider) to be 'Fixed' and not rattle (at all), so this is being 'adapted' in my workshop currently with strategically placed M16 High Tensile Towing Bolts. This type of low hanging DB Tow Frame does require being braced back to the chassis as there is a 'turning force' sent through it with a low 'hitch' point compared to its fixing point to the Defender X Member. The product you are looking at has this metalwork included.

If you need adjustment or just something 'boom proof' the DB Products are very good, the double pin sliders rattle less than the single pin units, but there is still play in both by the nature of the design.

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #412071 29th Mar 2015 5:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1