United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
shaggydog wrote:
Think it was Pete at Bas - had a shiny graph and everything Exclamation

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic21125....k+n+filter
Post #411459 27th Mar 2015 5:36pm
pannawonica

Australia 
Out here in the dust I would stick with standard, easy too just throw
another in if it gets choked! Doesn't take long too dust a motor! Exact micro particle size passed by aftermarket not the priority but airflow is. Very Happy
Post #411600 28th Mar 2015 4:54am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
there are plenty of threads on K and N air filters on this forum including dyno tests, however I don't believe a K and N air filter will make a jot of difference to oil pump life/failure.

other treads suggest the oil pump issue is sludge related if this is the case then regular oil changes should help, if it is a dodgy batch of pumps and yours is in that batch then if it was me I would chase up LR to replace it under warranty before it fails.

either way LR need to find the cause and resolve it, only owner power is going to make LR do anything about it so all the 2.2 owners should be getting together for a push back to LR to solve the problem, they may try and ignore it as the DEF is about to end but it could still harm their shiny car reputation. Have you seen the price of a new engine!! Big Cry

finally don't forget if you have a K and N , LR potentially wont honour the warranty DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #411602 28th Mar 2015 7:54am
munch90

England 
4 things

1 if it was sludge related due to underchanged oil then ford would not be doing a recall as pumps would be classed as ok , it would be your fault for not changing the oil at the correct time/mileage and have not heard of any vehicles not being covered under warrenty , if ford found sludge it would not be covered

2 if your getting sludge problems in between standard service intervals then there is a problem with oil spec or your engine is faultly , ford recall is to change pump not oil spec or engine or changing service intervals

3 diesel in oil , if your getting diesel in oil all the vehicles ive seen with diesel in oil the oil has been thin like water not sludge

4 you should not be getting extra soot/carbon in a newish engine more than any other good engine , so if your getting too much soot/carbon within service intervals you have a faulty engine or oil spec same again recall is to change pump not engine or oil spec or changing service intervals

Last edited by munch90 on 28th Mar 2015 10:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #411628 28th Mar 2015 10:34am
pob1968

Someone (I can't remember who now) was saying that when the engine squirts diesel into the DPF to burn off the crud some diesel may get into the engine oil that way. Also if you have cleaner oil surely that can only be a good thing. I appreciate if there are dodgy pumps there are dodgy pumps but I would like to ensure I am doing what I can to prevent a failure. 110 Hardtop
Post #411630 28th Mar 2015 10:40am
munch90

England 
yes diesel can get in to oil if regen process is not being done as it should

I must say that I would not like the idea of that happening and changing oil would help keep that to a minium , but you could change the oil one day and the next day it could happen the next day or it could happen one day and you change oil the next , 6 of one half a dozen of the other

if changing the oil helps surely ford would change service intervals

Vauxhall had a problem with one van engine in which the diesel in the oil ( oil level was way to high and thin ) was knackering the engine , but it was found that people ( all short start/stop driving ) were ignoring the service light , so Vauxhall wouldn't cover them , if you done oil service when you were ment to ( when the light was on ) it wasn't a problem

so will changing oil before they say so help , very hard to say but I doubt it , the pumps seen good one day bad the next which would make me say its pump problem and its luck of the draw

if the oil pump was wearing due to thin oil , then guessing you would notice slow failure of oil pressure ( longer to go out on start up , oil light on at tickover , knocking under load etc )

I would be fitting a oil pressure gauge myself , even if a temperily one

and keep a check on oil level , if it goes up then change asap
Post #411641 28th Mar 2015 11:05am
pob1968

Great, that's all good advice. 110 Hardtop
Post #411660 28th Mar 2015 11:38am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
munch90 wrote:
yes diesel can get in to oil if regen process is not being done as it should

Diesel will get in as a side effect of correct active regeneration, it's not the result of it not being done as it should be.

munch90 wrote:
I must say that I would not like the idea of that happening and changing oil would help keep that to a minium , but you could change the oil one day and the next day it could happen the next day or it could happen one day and you change oil the next , 6 of one half a dozen of the other

It's a cumulative thing - the more active regeneration that takes place the more opportunity for dilution, each one would average out at approx 10cc every 250 miles.
Post #411826 28th Mar 2015 8:47pm
munch90

England 
Ok should have said excessive diesel getting in

and ive seen oil levels rise a lot quicker then 10cc in 250 miles in start/stop short journey cars as they keep trying to regen due to being blocked then vehicle stopped then start again few miles later

ive seen cars with 2-3 litres to much oil that is like water when you drain it out
Post #411838 28th Mar 2015 9:09pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
so Munch90 you now saying to change the oil, as you were adamant that oil got better as it got older in another post Exclamation Whistle

As I clearly stated oil changes should be dictated by driving style, I have seen many a vehicle on longlife service suffer black sludge of death, this has also occurred on much shorter intervals due to incorrect oil being used

12,000 mile services I would not recommend on the puma engine particularly with the DPF. oil can quickly get contaminated. I have also read quite often Castrol magnatec being put in these engines, this is not the right oil and will not absorb the contaminants as well as the correct oil "C1"
Even the LR service schedule advised oil changes in most arduous conditions of 3,000 miles, other wise bla bla 6000 miles (see LR service shedule)

Turbo requires good clean oil (again reason not to leave 12,000 miles)

Oil pump will give optimum performance with good clean oil , yes it looks like it is recognized that there is issues with earlier pumps, may be later ones as well but as stated to give the oil pump best possible chance of it not going tits up is to maintain good oil - hopefully if it is recognized that there is a problem with later pumps the pump fitted has been given the best chance of keeping the engine alive

And as I have stated in another post I will be changing my oil at 6,000 mile intervals as a minimum

Sorry but will be signing out, to much rubbish being written Crying or Very sad
Post #411870 28th Mar 2015 10:49pm
munch90

England 
No i dont in believe changing BEFORE ITS NEEDED , just because the oil is a bit black its not the end of your engine , but do beleive in changing when its needed

ive never said oil gets better as it gets older by saying that your making it sound like im saying never change your oil , its been said it gets better within its USEABLE LIFE SPAN that is very diffirent to just saying older

some people change oil just for the something to do , all there doing is wasting there time and money , there engine will not last any longer

if your doing short runs and getting excessive diesel then yes change it

as i said before i dont beleive in 12,000 mile service intervals 8-10 or yearly with modern engines and oils seens better to me

if the pump has a mechanical fault in its design changing oil everyday wont help , its a faulty design pump end of
Post #411874 28th Mar 2015 11:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12