↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Dodgy central locking and Alarm ECU probs.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Dodgy central locking and Alarm ECU probs.
Exclamation Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #410665 24th Mar 2015 11:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Question

Can you give us a clue what the problem is ?

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #411097 26th Mar 2015 1:43pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
He's locked in the vehicle and lost the internet signal?
Post #411244 26th Mar 2015 10:07pm
taffrican

Nope, I deleted the original post, it was a little long winded and I think I may have sent a few readers to sleep Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I am still struggling with the problem, car locks, unlocks itself, alarm goes off in the middle of the night, I have found cracked wiring in the door rubber conduit/grommet, can't get access to the 10AS ECU with nanocom or hawkeye.... Big Cry Big Cry what next? Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #411309 27th Mar 2015 1:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Fix the damaged wiring first and check the wiring to all the other doors.

Then check the alarm unit connectors for corrosion and the 10AS for signs of water damage.

BBS has a guide for the 10 AS on their website which details the connectors, check the data comms cable for continuity between the 10AS and the ODB socket (pin 8 )

Last edited by Fifth Horseman on 27th Mar 2015 5:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #411319 27th Mar 2015 7:07am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Also check the door light switches, especially the front ones.

On the new 90 I have a problem with the door switches where water has got in. When it is cold the switches don't work properly and it causes the alarm to randomly go off.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #411357 27th Mar 2015 10:22am
taffrican

Thanks for the tips gents, Bob, your tip sounds VERY possible in my case, I have been having strange happenings with the door switches recently, I will be on the case next weekend, Mrs has me occupied on more pressing issues Shocked kitchen refurb. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #411904 29th Mar 2015 2:29am
Mjibex

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
I have the same issue - alarm goes off randomly for a day after jet washing! Mine is nsf door pin.
Post #411996 29th Mar 2015 2:08pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Don't forget to check out the bonnet and rear door switches too Thumbs Up
Post #412033 29th Mar 2015 4:02pm
taffrican

Thumbs Up I have made a little progress in the alarm ecu fault, I found a screw that had cut into the alarm ecu harness, now I have access to the ecu with my nanocom (but whilst investigating the fault the back of my ignition fell off Shocked so now I have an even bigger job getting ignition out Big Cry ) does in ever end Big Cry Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #412533 30th Mar 2015 10:51pm
munch90

England 
"Does it ever end " no its just defender ownership Thumbs Up
Post #412536 30th Mar 2015 10:54pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I had a good one last week. I had some spare time to look at the central locking problem on my 2nd row passenger door. Sometimes it would unlock but rarely lock but there was definately an action to lock and unlock so the wires were fine. It soon became evident when I took the door panel off, just under the small fixed window glass there is a plastic drip tray and this had dropped down and was fouling the linkage. Took it out for now and all is fine, I'll get round to stripping the door down in the summer and reaffix it, maybe Whistle
Post #412549 30th Mar 2015 11:35pm
taffrican

Ok, time for an update, I drilled the ignition out and re-attached the electrical fitting on the back (by bending the 3 tabs which looked like they had never been bent in the 1st place) and checked/repaired the wires that were affected by the screw in the harness and causing my comms issues with pin 8 on the Nanocom....
So, looking into the alarm ECU I see a couple of events, but, not sure when these events took place so I have cleared these faults so I now have a starting point.
I checked the status of the inputs and everything appears to be happening as it should apart from the drivers side sill switch (which I assume is the switch inside the lock actuator?) when I lock or unlock the door the state of this switch shows high whereas the passenger side sill switch goes from high to low (which seems correct to me) does anyone know whether the input state of the drivers sill switch is supposed to stay high all the time, common sense tells me it should go low when open and high when locked, but we are talking land rover here where common sense is usually thrown out the window at the beginning of the production line. Any definitive answers out there? please, BTW I replaced the drivers side sill switch about 12 months ago. Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #413088 1st Apr 2015 10:24pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have you checked the connectors on the alarm unit yet?

The trigger event memory shows the last five events.

If the connected inputs are showing as changing in relation to an input, then this should be ok - the Nanocom does have some quirks where there are some mislabeled inputs so your indications may be ok. I've just checked on my vehicle and the sill switch indications are the same as yours.

There are only four sensor switch inputs to the 10as, drivers door pillar, drivers door lock, bonnet and finally all the other door pillar switches together.
Only the drivers door has a sill switch - it would seem that two being shown on the Nanocom is an error and the one labeled on nanocom as the passenger door sill switch is the active one, it seems that the same 10AS input is used for RH and LH drive vehicles.
Post #413151 2nd Apr 2015 9:42am
taffrican

Thanks FH, yep I checked the connectors to the 10as ecu and all looks good apart from the damage to 2 of the wires caused by the screw entering the harness (god knows how that happend Whistle ) I have put everything back together and have been using the car for the past 2 days with no more "events", so, I say this with baited breath, it looks as though my troubles are over.... Confused , but time will tell.
I find it a bit strange though that the sill switches indicated/labelled on the nanocom are wrong, are they aware of this @BBS?
Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this post, greatly appreciated Bow down Thumbs Up
I will feedback of anymore weird happenings Cool Optimists say the glass is half full..
Post #413323 2nd Apr 2015 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>