↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > It has happened AGAIN !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Jonno - pick you shown is a result of poor servicing and possibly not the correct oil, I have had a 3.2lt v6 audi for years and it is well known that Audis are prone to sludge especially is incorrect oil spec used

I am a great believer in oil changing - never let Audi Oil go beyond a year or 10,000 miles (normally changed 8,000 miles - Audi state 20,000 mile services intervals Shocked Use Castrol Edge 5w30 to the exact spec required

My 15 year old Hilux I change oil every 5000 miles using Titan syn mc 10w40 (previously named XTR) It is thrashed running on 32" tyres and I probably burn 1ltr oil between services

The Landy I change oil every 6000 miles - currently using Millers xf longlife C1 5/30, would normally use Castrol but it is not readily available, when I change the oil I fill the canister first before re-fitting and just let the vehicle fire up, never bothered just cracking a vehicle to prime (except when I did a complete engine rebuild my old Dolomite Sprint - yes I am quite old)

The Range Rover Evoque (wifes) only does 8,000 miles a year so that only gets a yearly service and that is currenlty running Castrol 5w/30 C1 (done by dealer as part of the deal when I purchased it)

2 motorbikes - not used much over last few years again oil changed yearly even if they have only done 1000 miles

I feel anyone who lets a diesel run 12,000 miles without changing the oil is asking for long term trouble

Bell Auto Services - I will be calling on you in the very near future to remap my Landy, just wish you were closer than the 289 miles I will have to travel Very Happy Thumbs Up
Post #403396 1st Mar 2015 3:44pm
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
I would say the same, the pic is not my mates engine, but his was just the same. The servicing was certainly not totally neglected, it was well within Mazdas specs.

A "trusted" indepent did the servicing, hopefully they used the correct oil.

When I changed my fuel filter a few months ago, I cut open the canister and found an amazing amount of "gel" and filth in that, makes me wonder if the bio component of the fuel plays a part in these issues, especially if with a dpf it's normal to get heavy fuel contamination of the oil.

Jonno
Post #403399 1st Mar 2015 3:51pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
As all of us have probably found dealers cant be trusted to put correct oil in - tis worrying

As I hope to keep the Landy as long as my other vehicles - Hilux (15yrs) or Audi (11 yrs) I may consider BAS removing DPF in the mean time I will continue dropping the oil every 6000 miles

In my old Hilux (which I also still have - and use most days on site on the wind farm i'm currently building) I find that oil consumption starts increasing as the oil gets dirtier - normally starts increasing once the oil had done about 4000 miles.
Hate how black oil in diesel engine gets - last drop I did was on windy day - yes i got covered in oil and it was murder to wash of my skin lol

With my petrol engine vehicles oil is always lovely and clean looking - dad an ford ST which I sold a few years ago, when I sold it with 130,000 miles on the clock the engine oil was due for a change - it had done 6000 miles at that point and looked like it was fresh oil - I did give that car a hard time engine was always bouncing of it limiter and was as sweet as the day I took ownership as 1st owner.

waffling like an old person again, time to log off and do my end month report Sad
Post #403406 1st Mar 2015 4:13pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Lol @ waffling like an old person. This made me chuckle as my mum says the same hehe.

Good tip on the oil you use, as you say the normal oil is hard to get hold of if not from the dealers.

Speak soon when you are ready for the remap.

Pete.
Post #403413 1st Mar 2015 4:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonno

I have done a stint in a main dealer many years ago, not as a tech, buit got to see what went on. The oil that went in a car was usually the one in the closest bulk tank hose reel, not necessarily the correct one....

It must be a nightmare as an independant now, as practically all manufactures specify their own spec oils and short of keeping a hundred cans of oil on the shelf or driving to the factors for every service, I can't see how they can hope to use the "exact" spec oil for every car.

Obviously it's not always the be all or end all, as cars made by Ford, Mazda, Peugeot, Citroen and even Mini can all have the same 1.6 engine, but specify a different manufacturer specific grade.

I presume usually just something of the correct viscosity goes in most cars.

Jonno
Post #403419 1st Mar 2015 4:41pm
digger2

United Kingdom 
as a tech in a mazda garage we have always used the mazda spec oil on 2.2s and had several engine failures, as you have seen its caused by the strainer blocking up this is actually caused by the injector seals leaking and blowing carbon directly in to the engine.have seen it many times when replacing the stretched timing chains on these engines.we are also a ford dealer so don't get me started on transit oil pump failures Mad Mad Mad
Post #403432 1st Mar 2015 5:53pm
Jonno

Were the Transit failures the 2.2 or the 2.4 or both?

So far the 2.2 seems to be in the lead for oil pump problems.

Jonno
Post #403433 1st Mar 2015 6:08pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
Looking at the state of that oil strainer someone has used the wrong spec of oil. I always change my own I used to be a heavy earth mover plant fitter and the last time I saw a strainer like that some berk had mixed a multi grade oil and synthetic luckily it was a Deutz BF6L engine and we never had any further problems. Pay top prices at the sfealers for servicing to be done by an apprentice (maybe a harsh remark as there are apprentices out there that do care and know what they are doing).
How many dealers offer an oil sampling service as part of their service schedule? But then someone has to be able to read the reports that they receive and act on them.

Uncas
Post #403435 1st Mar 2015 6:11pm
digger2

United Kingdom 
the transits are all 2.2 with dpf euro5 emission level its either oil pumps or cracked pistons at the moment.the mazda engine uses special dpf oil but its the copper washer at the bottom of the injector that loosens off the allows combustion gas into the oil then you cant get the injector out without damage.mazda know about it they have a revised injector tightening procedure and you get an extra half an hour to remove the oil pump flush out the strainer and fit a new pump. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #403443 1st Mar 2015 6:23pm
Jonno

I realise all these comments don't help the original poster, but it's more ammunition if needed that the 2.2s seem to have a weakness. If I had one out of warranty, I'd be printing off these forum posts and forwarding to customer services for a goodwill contribution, if I had a failure.

The injector leaking thing is what I heard from a main dealer too on the Mazdas, causing the screen to block.

I find it depressing that in the 1990s it was common for diesels to do 300K miles plus, these days we seem to be waiting for them to go bang at anywhere from 30 to 150K miles, I realise some do last more but it seems many don't.

Jonno
Post #403447 1st Mar 2015 6:33pm
bell-auto-services

digger2 wrote:
Mazda know about it they have a revised injector tightening procedure

Is their any chance you can get and post the revised injector tightening procedure for the Mazda 2.2. We could compare this to the Defender procedure listed on Topix to see if LR use something different.

If the cause is the injectors in essence coming loose and not dealing correctly and leaking gas past it may be worth Defender owners checking their injectors before they do come loose ?

Prevention over a cure approach.

Pete.
Post #403473 1st Mar 2015 7:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonno

I think the Mazda engine is their own design, so not related to the Transit / Defender lump, I believe the 1.6 is the PSA / Ford unit though.

However any lessons learnt from the leaking Mazda injectors is useful to store away for a day when it might be needed.

I guess this is also one to remember for any diesel engine if you see lots of unexplained carbon, clogging the screen.

Jonno
Post #403478 1st Mar 2015 7:36pm
bell-auto-services

Ahh. I assumed the Mazda was the same design. Like you say still worth remembering the simlar info.

I think I'll check the injector tightness ony Defender when I get home and be sure the factory that builds the engines are doing the same as listed to be done.

For what it takes its worth a test of anything.
Post #403481 1st Mar 2015 7:43pm
digger2

United Kingdom 
the mazda is totally different design to the transit the injectors in the transit are 6nm then 360 degrees they have one bolt per two injectors and these have been known to come loose. there is a recall for the oil pump problem fit new oil pump part no 1862237
Post #403484 1st Mar 2015 8:01pm
munch90

England 
Never known a injector washer problom on a tdci , think maybe because they are in oil and get cooled better then most , mercs eat washers

worked on hundreds of them (tdci 's)

and never known a stainer problem ( not had many 2.2 apart )

All the courier vans etc always had 10/40 semi synthetic ( 2.4's ) ( because they mostly tight arses Laughing ) , but changed regular,

now use a 5/30 fully in them all
Post #403494 1st Mar 2015 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>