Home > Td5 > 53 PLATE TD5 CAMSHAFT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Raptor

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Oslo Blue
53 PLATE TD5 CAMSHAFT
Hi Guys,
Can anyone point me in the direction of any thread regarding "WEAR" on the camshaft "lobes"?
Changing injector seals/washers, but noticed quite a bit of wear on the lobes etc, i've not seen this before,
I didn't bother changing the seals etc, didn't want to alter anything too much, so just put everything back together and buttoned down until i can sort something.

Vehicle as 2 previous owners, 150,000 miles, extensive up to date dealer service history etc.
I'm no mechanic, far from it, but for me a lack of oil would be the reason for such damage? or at the least a lack of quality oil?
runs fine, pulls like a train, no excessive smoke rattlings etc, (or im oblivious) uses no fluids, leaks or loss of oil or water, it be a mystery to me?

Any info gratefully received

Many thanks

Jeff

Last edited by Raptor on 14th May 2014 6:36am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #330852 13th May 2014 9:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You probably mean camshaft not crankshaft.
Post #330903 13th May 2014 11:00pm
Raptor

OOOPS Embarassed Yes i mean camshaft blackwolf, apologies, edited mistake. Whistle
Post #330924 14th May 2014 6:38am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
When you say wear, is there a groove? or a dark mark? or have you compared your cam to a new one and the lobes are much smaller?
Post #330932 14th May 2014 8:02am
Raptor

There are grooves in a couple of the lobes, and slightly "flat".., the "bearings" on the rocker shaft are also worn, just worried now what further probs may occur until i get it sorted, i still have to use it daily,, paranoia easily creeps in, especially after having a D2 a while ago that had some rather odd tendencies to say the least
Post #330935 14th May 2014 8:09am
Raptor

ongoing Whistle lol
Post #336906 9th Jun 2014 2:29pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Two quick things, can you post some pictures for me to look at and have you noticed any problems with the general running of it?
Post #336979 9th Jun 2014 7:04pm
Raptor

i didn't take any pics, i just put everything back on because i need to use it, (i've just got hold of a replacement rocker shaft.).

General running is becoming somewhat different, fires up instantly every time, but if i pull away straight away she hardly moves for about 5-10 seconds, literally crawls, then she will suddenly burst into life juddering and shaking the hell out of itself, then she runs ok, Rolling Eyes quite a shock to any unsuspecting passengers lol.

There's what seems to be a slight misfire that is apparent mostly when slowing down or speeding up, at steady consistent revs its not really noticeable, she is also getting more "tappety"
I've kind of got used to it and seem to have adopted a totally different driving style to accommodate the "issues", i drive too and from work in it now and dare not push my luck anymore to go much further than that 10 mile or so round trip.

I have also noticed the engine "smells" very warm within minutes of driving, i've also developed a rather bad habit of sniffing around the front of the bonnet every time i stop and get out Rolling Eyes but it is a very hot oily smell, but she loses no fluids or burns any off..

I just don't know to be honest fatboy slim, the inconvenience and the fact i've only had it a couple of months is annoying me more than anything, could well do without it the trials and tribulations, i expect jobs to do with landrovers, comes with the territory, but at the minute i'm just seeing 7 grand sat idle really, frustrating.
Post #337025 9th Jun 2014 9:21pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Probably not much help I know, but one of my previous td5 90's had a problem similar to what you've just described in that on a cold start, for the first 30 secs to a minute it would not rev, no amount of throttle jabbing would get it above tick-over, if I floored the loud pedal it would judder and shake but the revs would not go over 800 or so, it would also emit clouds of white/grey smoke during this time.

Coincidently though, on the same car, I also had a problem with a worn camshaft, in my case it was due to the vacuum pump on the alternator, the centre rotor had broken up causing tiny bits of hard steel to get into the oilways.

The head was replaced to cure the camshaft problem but it was never really right after that, it was always noisy.

Thinking about the first issue, I got a very similar effect on my Disco 3 when I ran it with the MAF sensor effectively out of circuit by removing the pipe from the air filter box to the turbo, (with the top cowl off to test after replacing the aux belt,) so I wonder if it could be a gummed up MAF sensor causing the problem?
Post #337058 9th Jun 2014 10:10pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
In all honesty, if it uses no fluids , runs on 5 cylinders and starts every time I really wouldn't worry to much . Make no doubt about it, these little engines are as hard as nails . We run them on opencast sites where they never see a surface that resembles a road of any sort, they get cooked, drowned, airfilters sucked inside out so they breath in coal dust and grit for months on end and they still run ok. Drive it till something goes wrong...by the way your no power from startup issue sounds a lot like a knackered airflow meter.
Post #337064 9th Jun 2014 10:17pm
Raptor

Everything is of some help Clive, it's always good to have an insight into similar issues others may have had, gives a base to start from and also helps verify what may already have been considered but possibly dismissed.

I agree with both comments re maf, which is one of those thoughts i discarded, mainly due to my camshaft obsession and putting any and probably all other issues down to that, but i shall now revisit that Very Happy

I'm probably over analyzing it fatboy slim, but i'm like a dog with a bone, it's on my mind and i have to sort it, just for peace of mind, i've missed 2 falconry fairs due to worry of driving the distance and making it worse, i have another raptor fair coming up this weekend over in Hemsley north yorkshire, just a couple hours drive away, but i doubt i will make the journey Big Cry lol.

The things are built to take some hammer, well i like to think so, just a bit more complicated with all the tickery now planted in them, i'm still amazed at a defender having central locking and electric windows lol, never mind ecu's and plug in diagnostics etc Whistle
Post #337079 9th Jun 2014 10:53pm
Raptor

UPDATE
Job done, Very Happy i haven't changed the cam, i've "ground polished and buffed" the offending marks out of the "damaged" lobes, taken most of the day, i have renewed the rocker shaft, that just wasn't worth messing about with.
The difference in running is very much noticeable, and definitely quieter, Thumbs Up
Post #341279 27th Jun 2014 9:42pm
Raywin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Hi I am new to this forum but I also found my TD5 camshaft was damaged on one lobe and the corresponding injector rocker was scored, last week I changed the rocker for a second hand one I bought off e-bay, I want to use this as a stop gap until I can change the cam shaft and full set of rockers might even do a big job on the engine when the weather gets better.
When I read this thread I wondered if the cleaning and polishing you did worked, is it still OK now that a few months have passed?
Post #402690 27th Feb 2015 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1