Print this entire topic · 
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Brilliant steve Rolling with laughter

N
Post #399458 16th Feb 2015 8:50pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Landrover hasn't let any details out because it would rather hope we'll forget that there won't be a defender in the range for 2 years. It's their halo model that gives the rest of the range their credibility and heritage, and it won't be available any more. After 2 years gap there'll be much less fuss about the looks of the new model and it's suitability as a working vehicle.
They don't want to have to rethink things again, like they did after the DC100 was first shown.

Just my opinion.
Post #399512 16th Feb 2015 11:42pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Well there have been no heavily disguised test mules spotted and they normally start appearing a year or two before launch.

Think how long ago a freelander sized test hack was around - couple of years ago - and that is only now launching as the new disco sport.

I also thought that they were going to add more model to the discovery family first - i.e. the new full fat discovery based on the the new Range Rover sport platform.

My guess is it will be 1-2 years before we see anything concrete with actual models in the showroom after that. Its a pure guess and I could be totally wrong...
Post #399528 17th Feb 2015 5:51am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
DSC-off wrote:
Landrover hasn't let any details out because it would rather hope we'll forget that there won't be a defender in the range for 2 years. It's their halo model that gives the rest of the range their credibility and heritage, and it won't be available any more. After 2 years gap there'll be much less fuss about the looks of the new model and it's suitability as a working vehicle.
They don't want to have to rethink things again, like they did after the DC100 was first shown.

Just my opinion.

Yup reckon your on the money no plans for 2 years Shocked means we can forget about a new Def Crying or Very sad the markets changing Evil or Very Mad
Post #399566 17th Feb 2015 9:31am
steve E

Wales 
I think we will get the DC100
They have already made the new defender.
A little tweak here and there but that is what we will get.
Post #399583 17th Feb 2015 10:04am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Gerry McG is already on record as sayng the DC100 is not the way they have gone...
Post #399584 17th Feb 2015 10:05am
steve E

Wales 
They might change a bit of plastic here and there but I think it is the basis of what they will build.
I must say also that I quite like the DC100 concept.
we know they cant make an old school vehicle any more so I am really thinking as to what we expect them to build.
We can talk about it but it all comes down to numbers and I bet if they put the Dc100 in the dealers at £30k they would have a waiting list.
My wife needs to replace her 2008 Terios so I wish they would hurry up Laughing
Post #399588 17th Feb 2015 10:18am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
...and yet another round of conjecture and second guessing Laughing Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.

Last edited by Happyoldgit on 17th Feb 2015 1:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #399592 17th Feb 2015 10:21am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
That earlier effort DC 100 Rolling with laughter was just a spoof to test the water and get opinions
Post #399620 17th Feb 2015 12:37pm
Huego

United Kingdom 
Hi everyone,

First post from a long-term lurker on these forums and life-long fan of the Land Rover Series / Defender.

I believe the article that refers to a possible preview at Geneva 2015 is in Autocar, Oct 2014 - "However, a sneak preview in the form of a concept car is currently being discussed. Potential debuts for a concept are next March at the Geneva show, at the New York show in the spring or at the Frankfurt show next September." However I'd be surprised if something new breaks cover until late 2015, with all the attention currently focused at the demise of the current model.

From comments I've read on a few forums, by people apparently 'in the know' it sounds like the Defender replacement will retain a progressive look as shown in DC100, but more instantly recognisable as a Defender. I personally think the front end will have a squared-off design somewhere between the Discovery 5 concept and maybe the Ford Flex, but that's just my opinion. Maybe the new Disco and Defender will break cover around the same time if they share the same underpinnings?

Cheers
Huego
Post #399966 18th Feb 2015 10:42am
shaun.mobile

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
how many defenders are still to be sold. that includes any not yet manufactured and any sat in compounds waiting to be sold?

what if JLR have got it spot on and the replacement is so good that they are worried they will have to discount heavily to shift the remains of the current model.

I doubt that this is the truth sadly but I don't think that the appearance of the new model can possibly increase the value of the current models that have yet to be sold, unless the new model is so bad that everyone will want to be an owner of the last of current model but that would make no sense whatsoever.

JLR will want to keep their customer base and expand upon it in my opinion.
Post #400125 18th Feb 2015 8:34pm
DSC-off

Shaun,
The current Defender is an instant classic, regardless of what follows it. Same as when the original Mini was replaced by BMW. You won't find a cheap Defender for the next 10 years. (If you could ever find a cheap one!)

There WILL be a gap of 18mths to 2 yrs between old and new, so there is absolutely no chance of any discounted old models. After May 2015 they are only building to order, if that's not already the case, so there is no stock pile to shift that MUST be registered by early 2016 due to legislation.

JLR have their eye on a customer base that buys in the £30k to £130k price range and they are expanding on it. The Defender replacement will be in there.
Remember in early 2014 you could buy a Freelander for £22k? Well the cheapest Disco Sport is currently £32k.
If you don't fit in the profile, they don't want to sell to you!

Finally, if Landrover were really bothered about shifting Defenders, why has it had so little money spent on developing it over 67 years?
Launched 1948
New body 1958
Range Rover suspension 1983
Transit engine & gearbox 2007.

That may be a harsh simplistic summary, but it's true.
J.
Post #400138 18th Feb 2015 9:13pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I doubt there will be a new Defender, not as we understand it anyway. A lifestyle vehicle with an odd nod and wink to the current model perhaps, but that will be it apart from the name. They are NOT interested in selling to the utility sector, farmers etc, it is all going premium, as mentioned above prices are going UP, not down. The likes of Isuzu with the D-max will scoop up the working vehicle market. The new Defender will no doubt be a very capable SUV...

I did read somewhere that demand has shot up for Defenders, and no way are any of them hanging around waiting for buyers.

I understand the 130 has already gone out of production or will very soon, from April you can only order 90HT, 90SW, 110SW, 110USW. All hard top and pick up models dropped. What does that tell us?

I suspect that whatever the new one is like, prices for the current model will stay very strong as there will always be that purist element that will want the real deal. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #400628 20th Feb 2015 4:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSC-off

Exactly Thumbs Up
Post #400636 20th Feb 2015 4:58pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Another way to look at it is that the new Defender will be to the old model what the new mini is to the original mini, or the new VW beetle is to the old VW beetle. It will have a few styling cues whilst at the same time totally and utterly missing the point of the vehicle. The new mini and beetle are both quite big cars, very high tech and advanced. The originals did so well because they were so simple, not in spite of it, and because they were compact.

I grew up with minis in the family when I was a kid, and have driven the new type. It is without doubt a very nice car, but it is still just another mid-size car that looks a bit like a mini if you look at it from the right angle, squint and say ten hail mary's...okay I'm kidding but I think it makes my point.

JLR seem to have totally missed the point that a lot of people do buy Defenders precisely because they look so much like the old ones off Daktari or the camel trophy, and they have that direct linage. The new one will basically be a rebodied disco 4 and I just can't see how it will ever evoke the same passion as the old one...

RIP Defender... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #400664 20th Feb 2015 6:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>