↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > its SNOWING YIPPEE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Snow
Very nearly got caught out in the sudden 'Blizzard'.

Left our house at 7am in the works Transporter, snow like icing sugar, roads virtually clear- surprised to see that the usual flashing signs for Woodhead being closed weren't on so pottered over there- just past Stocksbridge started REALLY snowing hard, got to Woodhead and it was closed, not entirely surprisingly, weather continued to close in so binned going to where I had planned to go!

Roads quickly got a lot worse on the way back, very poor visibility then big queues of stuck cars near Chapeltown. Muppets just sat beeping and getting frustrated rather than helping push each other out! Ended up sticking the van on the verge and walking up to help shovel/push some vehicles out in order to get on my way again- not a single other person helped. they were all to busy being angry and pulling suicidal overtaking maneuvers on the snow in the opposing carriageway!

People make me angry.

Chris
Post #393716 29th Jan 2015 5:56pm
uncas

United Kingdom 
BB went to work in the Smart this morning (she works at High Green on Thursdays} she hadn't been gone many minutes when the sky turned Black and we had a heavy down fall she managed to get into the surgery ok and back home but she was fuming about other idiots who had dumped their cars in awkward places. Me thinks that she will be taking the 90 in the morning as she is back at High Green in the morning that will be me grounded then.

Uncas
Post #393750 29th Jan 2015 7:37pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
leeds wrote:
mick wrote:
Fortunately for me today I have been local and didn't have to fight through all the drivers that can't handle the snow Neutral

I know what you mean Mick.

Went down Windy Bank the other day, two cars abandoned on it and you could see where the third car had just been 'recovered from. At bottom of hill eurobox with n/s caved in.

Went down it today, eurobox with hazards on and front n/s corner totalled. When will people learn that a drystone wall holding up the hillside is not very forgiving?

Going up the hill you could see where people had been struggling and this is with a dusting of snow.
Give a road report in the morning coming your way Mr. Green

Brendan
Post #393754 29th Jan 2015 7:46pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Went back up to Redmires Dam (on edge of Sheffield) this PM, to walk dog and my son was skiing, that's right skiing Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge
Post #393755 29th Jan 2015 7:47pm
mick

I hope you let him have a go at being towed behind the Defender Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #393760 29th Jan 2015 7:52pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Didn't have a long enough rope with us - going back to try that tomorrow Thumbs Up

There was a guy in his D2 towing sledges - looked great fun Very Happy
Post #393763 29th Jan 2015 7:57pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
And here I am 'living the dream' in the Alps and unable to ski because I had to Censored work....

However, up to 2m is rumoured over the next few days and I am free. Thumbs Up

Battled up the mountain today running the gauntlet of crazy articulated drivers, local teens whizzing around in Peugeot 106s as if it is summer, and tourists with full snow tyre/chain set ups crawling at 15kmh, on cleared Tarmac. Muppets Banging Head

And today wasn't too bad, only 15cms overnight. It'll be worse tomorrow and roundabouts will look like a Japanese drift circuit.

On an interesting note, some of you may remember I enquired about snow tyres and was recommended the Nokian HP something-or-other. Due to a pre-Christmas spent in Spain and the UK, then an awful 4 weeks plus of little or no snow, I never got round to buying them and have relied on my Cooper ST Maxx. FYI, they have performed admirably. Deep snow, slushy snow, compacted snow, all of the above. Not dealt with ice yet, but seem to be doing the job. Interestingly, been doing some tyre kicking every time I see a parked Defender and almost non have snow specific tyres. But we do generally have very efficient snow clearance and rarely suffer the way the UK does. Anyone else using standard tyres? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #393767 29th Jan 2015 8:04pm
mick

Ran a Disco on ST s a few years back very good in the snow and organisers of the Crosiers recommended them for snow Thumbs Up current D4 is on MTR s at the mo not ideal for snow but with all it's electronics it copes my 130 is on Nokian Rotiva AT s which are great for UK snow conditions and if it gets bad the snow chains can come out Whistle
Post #393776 29th Jan 2015 8:15pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Mick, I am NOT going to be driving local roads at 5.30 am just to give you a road report.

I will be tucked up safely and warm in bed Thumbs Up

On Old Guy Road the snowdrifts were forming on the pavement up to 2-3 feet deep on pavement and starting to spread over the road. Wind is from the west so is picking up the powder snow and dumping it on the other side of the wall.

Brendan
Post #393777 29th Jan 2015 8:15pm
mick

Off up Bradshaw 12 ish you won't be in bed then will you just look out the window Thumbs Up
Post #393779 29th Jan 2015 8:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well you know the fields are slight moist and the water tends to run off the fields and down the road in Bradshaw. Would expect ice on the bends there

Temperature at the moment is -1C here. Bradshaw is a 'bus route' so should be gritted etc. However not seen gritter on Roper Lane yet.

Should be off to WVA tomorrow and then down to the unit so you might, repeat might get a road report Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #393796 29th Jan 2015 8:34pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Been snowing all day here in North Shropshire, however absolutely non of it has settled Sad Just wet Big Cry Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #393934 30th Jan 2015 1:46am
leeds

United Kingdom 
No snow overnight Mick.

Roper lane has traffic on it but at reduced speed due to patches of compacted snow/ice. I.e. Some drivers are being sensible for once.

So all minor roads should be passable in this area with care, just watch out for patches of ice on untreated surfaces in Bradshaw

Brendan
Post #393964 30th Jan 2015 9:31am
mick

Cool got peter lane warly to negotiate as well cheers Brendan
Post #393988 30th Jan 2015 11:12am
jimbob7

Headed up towards Huddersfield from Denshaw last night (20.00),had the road to miself Mr. Green,snow was 3-4 inch deep Shocked Shocked .I nearly had to put a coat on Laughing.
Fwiw,standard fit Conti's Cross Contacts performed well and even with brisk acceleration didn't spin up easily if at all. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #394019 30th Jan 2015 12:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>