↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > headlight leveller posessed !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
theorangebandit

headlight leveller posessed !
Can anyone give me a steer to a solution . My headlight levellers are possessed. The fault is that both of them do what they want, in tandem, and the switch has no affect on the levellers. After ten mins of driving they seem to have warmed up and then the switch sort of works again. As they both are faulty together in certain the levellers are fine Is there a relay is the system ?
Post #393442 28th Jan 2015 9:44pm
Canberra Man

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I've got exactly the same problem. They seem to hunt rather than settle in the desired position, you can hear the motors, sometime left, sometime right even though the switch has not been adjusted. I've replaced the switch, still the same.
I've replaced one of the motors, put it all back together and worked fine. A couple of weeks later sitting at traffic lights I could see the new motor moving the light up and down.
I took the headlight out in case I had over tightened the securing screws, re-fitted worked fine..........for a few days.

In desperation (and to get through the MOT) I have disconnected the motors and set the headlights manually.
I'm now thinking it could be a poor connection somewhere from the resistor switch to the motors, I'm not sure whether it is worth the effort of trying to track it down
Post #393623 29th Jan 2015 1:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As far as I know there's no legal requirement for headlight levellers of this type, personally I would be tempted to remove them and go with the commercial spec manual adjustment.

My DC doesn't have levellers, as a 2007 N1 type-approved vehicle it left the factory with dim-dip instead. Needless to say one of the first improvements I made was to disable the dim-dip.
Post #393644 29th Jan 2015 1:50pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Wait until they are at the correct level and disconnect the motors (that's my answer to it anyway Laughing )
Post #393705 29th Jan 2015 5:27pm
theorangebandit

They are unplugged currently but they are a feature I use when towing so id like yo resolve. Both of the levellers are doing the same thing at the same time. Leading me to believe theirs a relay in the system
Post #393768 29th Jan 2015 8:05pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
The motors are controlled by the switch which has various resistance depending on the number selected. If there is a poor connection in the wiring loom or inside the switch the resistance will vary, causing the motors to move without input.

I would be looking at the connectors to the levelling motors to check they're clean and checking the resistance is constant with the dash switch in its different positions. I would suggest if they move simultaneously then it might well be the switch Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #393829 29th Jan 2015 9:19pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
As far as I know there's no legal requirement for headlight levellers of this type, personally I would be tempted to remove them and go with the commercial spec manual adjustment.

My DC doesn't have levellers, as a 2007 N1 type-approved vehicle it left the factory with dim-dip instead. Needless to say one of the first improvements I made was to disable the dim-dip.

My 2011 Poverty Spec HT has them, it's about the only feature it does have Laughing
And they even work! At the moment...

Click image to enlarge
Post #393875 29th Jan 2015 10:35pm
theorangebandit

Thank you for the diagram it has made diagnoses much simpler. I'm certain the fault lies with the switch now.
Post #394088 30th Jan 2015 5:29pm
martinfiattech

England 
Don`t know if it`s any help but, when I used to work for Vauxhall it was a common fault on mk3 cavalier`s
The connector pins in the multy plugs were`ent tight enough. So when you touched the plug the motors would power up.
All we did was tighten the connector terminals and they where fine. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #394176 30th Jan 2015 9:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1