↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > A-Plan vs NFU Mutual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
A-Plan vs NFU Mutual
As a new Landy owner I have been meticulously checking out the various insurance options. I live in a city centre, been driving for years and have full NC's.

Admittedly I didn't look at every possible insurer, but I did get a fair number of quotes. What I realised is that whilst I wanted a really good price, I also wanted really good insurance cover. (I have had my fair share of lessons with insurers!). That meant my existing insurer Admiral and many of those on GoCompare weren't really suitable (either uncompetitive, too restrictive or in some cases don't even have a Defender on their 'system'!) Included in those approached was the mother-of-all-timewasters Lancaster Insurance who after running through details several times then said they couldn't quote because I only had one car (LOL!)

This meant in the end it came down two credible options: NFU Mutual and A-Plan. Frankly, both were tremendous.

For A-Plan I dealt with Clare Ironside who is the Defender2.net Forum account manager based in Thatcham. She is very switched on and efficient. Don't bother speaking to anybody else at A-PLAN (although beware the account manager and location can change!) Note A-Plan is a broker and in my case the quote was underwritten by Zurich Insurance.

For NFU Mutual I spoke to my local branch as it doesn't appear to matter who you deal with. NFU underwrite their own policies and in that respect they are more integrated.

For fully comp with business use, 8000 miles pa, £100 excess, European cover & Green-laning, I was quoted £1100 by A-Plan and £1339 by NFU. Both policies had many other benefits but were very similar.

However there are a few notable benefits that favour NFU - 1) cheaper to pay in instalments 1.25% (A-Plan use a credit company charging 9%), 2) no charges to amend policy at amy time (A-Plan charge £25 each time), 3) full reinstatement value on new cars up to 2 years old (A-Plan only up to 1 year old), unlimited cover in Europe (A-Plan have a 60 day limit and you must notify them BEFORE travelling).

I set these key difference out for the sake of transparency, not because I think A-Plan are inferior. Not at all! Frankly those restrictions are quite reasonable (btw if you pay A-Plan quarterly you pay much less interest). For me it simply came down to whether NFU's extra benefits are worth the extra £239… I'm not sure.

I do hope others find this 'empirical analysis' useful. Without having yet used either I can't say who is actually best, but I am sure others can contribute that information! 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #392846 26th Jan 2015 10:36pm
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
the real test of any insurance company is when you have to claim, not so much the cost of renewal/ new policy. 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #392867 26th Jan 2015 11:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Sadly, the only time you find out if it was a good deal is when you claim.

In my case, twice, the NFU were very good, and I continue to insure with them. My TD5 is £275/year, so am very happy with that.

I also used NFU for my new D4 due to the 2yr replacement clause.

Cheers

Simon
Post #392868 26th Jan 2015 11:34pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
NFU for me. They've been great with everything I've driven into Whistle Whistle

Andy
Post #392879 27th Jan 2015 12:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1