↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Defender Tdci 48spline steering wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Knot-yet

United Kingdom 
Defender Tdci 48spline steering wheel
I'm not a huge fan of the big hump in the centre of my defenders steering wheel. The hump looks horrid and I find it gets in the way, and annoys me.

I'm toying with swapping it for a 48spline flat type steering wheel or an aftermarket one, but don't really like the boy racer styling of aftermarket wheels, and would prefer to keep my defender mostly original.

However, while googling, I discovered that the steering wheel ilooks suspiciously like it was originally fitted to 1986 to 1991 Range Rover Classic, and originally didn't have the huge bulgy middle pad orginally but a more flatter midriff (a bit like myself).

Interestingly, It also had steering wheel controls for the stereo on the two spokes as well.
So it looks like Land Rover were up to their old tricks of raiding parts pins at Solihull until they found something.

The part number for the flatter centre pad is NTC3645. I found a new old stock one cheap online, and in a fit of pre Christmas boredom, ordered it.

I don't know for sure whether it fits, or whether it matches from a colour and texture point of view, but thought it'd do as an xmas pressy for my defender. If it doesn't fit, or isn't a good colour match, I'll pop it on eBay and flog it to a Range Rover classic owner.

Apologies for lack of pictures, but Google ntc3645 and you'll see what I did.
Post #380571 20th Dec 2014 10:51pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Give it a go and like you said you can always sell it on.

I think the best looking wheel is on the JE webs site.
Have a look

http://www.jeengineering.co.uk/landrovers/...or-styling

Thumbs Up
Post #380575 20th Dec 2014 10:58pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
It does fit, a friend of mine fitted one to his TD5 "air bag" wheel. Can't remember how good the colour match was unfortunately! Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #380584 20th Dec 2014 11:24pm
dazzx10r

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
how old is your Defender? does it have stability control? if so then you can't just go fitting any old steering wheel as the current one will have steering angle sensors fitted to it. There are a couple of after market steering boss's out there now with this fitted. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361075546069?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
Post #380620 21st Dec 2014 9:33am
Knot-yet

United Kingdom 
Thanks tdci guy, nice to have it confirmed that the older type flatter pad should fit.
Who knows when it'll show up in the post though!

None of the bits of trim in a defender match perfectly in terms of colour and texture anyway so reckon even if it's not perfect I'll live with it.

Hi, dazzx10r. It's on a 64 plate and so does have ABS, TC and stability control even though it's a base spec hardtop. I had heard that too. I aren't sure if the flatter 300tdi style wheel will be compatible? Which is why I went looking for an easy alternative as twenty quid for a flatter foam/rubber pad from fleabag was cheaper.

I did actually like the look of the star tech wheel on the link to JE engineering but at 400 queen quids its a bit expensive for me.
Post #381109 22nd Dec 2014 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1