↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Water on passenger side floor mats Defender Puma?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Water on passenger side floor mats Defender Puma?
Hi guys hope somebody can add to my thoughts here, over the last few weeks when its rained or I have washed the beast I have noticed water on the passenger side floor, not a lot but say an egg cup full, from what I see it can only get in one of two ways, the obvious one is the screen rubber, the second possibility is the screen bulkhead seal is leaking? anybody had this problem and what did you find or do about it?

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #379939 18th Dec 2014 1:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
See this thread in particular the first two posts on page 2.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic447-15.html

And this thread mine and Fekete's postings on pages 1 & 2.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2126.html[/quote][/quote] If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #379940 18th Dec 2014 1:17pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Mine was caused by a badly fitted windscreen. 
Post #379941 18th Dec 2014 1:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OleDave

Hi Guys and thanks for the comments and threads, I have done two things this morning, I have ordered a new screen seal from Bearmach as National glass could not supply quickly and it was almost the same price as the screen!! I have also ordered Dr tolleys sealer as there are a few articles on here about it and all say it worked well in curing the leaks, so going to have a new screen fitted as soon as the seal comes as the existing glass looks like somebody has had a brillo pad on it, if it has to come out for a new seal just as well do the screen the same time, in the sun and at night with headlamps coming at you its terrible to look through.

Gonna wait until I receive the sealer and give the bulkhead seal an application all along it on a dry day to see what happens plus check all the grommets and cables entries under the bonnet, hopefully I will be able to report in a few weeks all is fine, just hope its not the blower as cannot tackle that until the weather gets better and its a major job pulling the dash off to get to the blower box seal that is if all else fails.

Anyway thanks guys your all so helpfull

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #379986 18th Dec 2014 3:31pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you've got Air Con, I'll place my bets on the drain pipe teat has sealed shut and is overflowing and possibly just coincidence that you have noticed it when you've washed it or it's rained.

The drain pipe is above the gearbox, have a feel around and you should be able to squeeze the end of it. Be prepared to get drenched.

Might be off on a tangent, but it's worth checking before splashing out money on anything. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #380013 18th Dec 2014 5:43pm
Gleaney

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Water will be leaking between the glass and the seal. It's no good just putting a new seal in.It must be sealed between the frame and the seal and also between the seal and the glass. Believe me I've had this problem and it's now rectified.
Hope this helps.
Post #380035 18th Dec 2014 6:24pm
OleDave

Hi Guys and thanks for all the tips, Gleaney may I ask what sealant was used when you changed the rubber or had the screen out and back in?

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #380066 18th Dec 2014 8:44pm
Gleaney

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm sorry I don't know. But if you ring lloyds auto bodies in Manchester who did mine on 0161 437 9911. They are the approved landrover repair centre. Who I have to say are superb. Mine is like a submarine now.
Hope this helps.
Post #380113 18th Dec 2014 10:23pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Might be door seals mine lets a bit in there
Post #380123 18th Dec 2014 10:49pm
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
x-isle wrote:
If you've got Air Con, I'll place my bets on the drain pipe teat has sealed shut and is overflowing and possibly just coincidence that you have noticed it when you've washed it or it's rained.

.. that was the cause of my water in the footwell .. Load of mud blocking the drain teat. 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #380196 19th Dec 2014 9:36am
OleDave

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help, pity you did not know Gleaney what the sealant was, Lloyds might be reluctant to tell me what they use but I will give it a go.

Hi Mick, its not door seals and its not my aircon as I do not have it fitted to this vehicle, the water is dripping down right dead centre of the passenger floor well around where your feet rest and looks to be tracking down the back of the dash somehow, its not a lot, yesterday after a whole day of rain I took the rubber mat out and tipped it off, maybe half an egg cup, my worry is any water ingress can result in the dreaded rust starting and its especially a worry if its the screen area as the bulkhead around the screen is steel.

My plan is as the screen and rubber seem to be a regular source of problems to have it out, the area cleaned and the screen changed along with a new seal, if that dont stop it I will have to bite the bullet and on a fine day start stripping out the minimum of the dash to discover where its coming in from, Will have to get the boss to play a hose over it while I sit there with my torch.

Well thanks again guys

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #380197 19th Dec 2014 9:39am
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
I had the same little issue but once I fitted a snow cowl the issue had gone?
Post #380205 19th Dec 2014 10:11am
OleDave

Hi Defender -Stu and thanks for the input, not sure what you mean by a snow cowl ? I am sorta new new to defenders ownership although having worked in a big garage for many years I have worked on them many times ( Heavy and awkward gearboxes to remove and refit for clutch replacment ) but never worked on them trying to source internal body leaks.

Many Thanks

Ole Dave
Post #380218 19th Dec 2014 10:53am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Why not ask someone to aim a waterhose at the car at every possible angle whilst you sit inside to check. Water can come from everywhere. In my case the footwells looked like a lake overtime it rained, because of the roof.
Post #380220 19th Dec 2014 11:03am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
This is the snows cowl which stops water snow etc getting into the heater intake

http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/lorryman...e.jpg.html

(Lorryman100's image)

Also have a here, might help Thumbs Up

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/Manu...Manual.pdf 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #380222 19th Dec 2014 11:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>