Home > Td5 > R380 gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
ROBBONTHEROCK wrote:
The latest....

* New reconditioned Gearbox fitted (from Ashcroft).
* New Clutch fitted;
* New Clutch oil;
* New Gearbox Oil;
* New transfer box input gear (old one damaged due to gearbox output shaft spline rounding off);
* Transfer box was flushed, new bearings fitted to the new input gear;

Worth noting that the input gear forging for the transfer box is modified in that it has some drillings to allow gear oil into the gearbox output spline to help avoid damage in the future.

Anyway I have driven the truck now and put on about 100 miles or so, and in my opinion its is brilliant, the box is much tighter and much more composed. only niggly thing is its tricky changing up from 2nd to 3rd and on occasion you need to abandon 3rd and go back to 2nd before re-attempting 3rd. Although i'm pretty confident that that will bed down after a 1000miles or so, once things bed in.

The vendors I used:-
Caldwell and Dempster in Banchory;
Ashcroft;

Cheers
Andy

The change from second to third is often adjustment on the spring tensioner holding the change lever in. You adjust bolts to change spring preload. Mine were slack and it changed gear great, but the gear lever ball vibrated in 3rd and 4th under load. I increased the preload which cured the noise but made the change from 2nd to 3rd difficult. You can gain access by simply taking off the gear lever gaitor. 2002 110 td5
Post #377587 9th Dec 2014 5:04pm
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
Thanks folks.

The notchyness has definitely reduced Wink

Will give it a full service in Jan, all oils and filters.....including Tranny and Diffs.

Cheers
AndyR
Post #379466 16th Dec 2014 6:31pm
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Very interesting reading. I've suspected mine is somewhat worn for a while, and I have noticed some 2nd-3rd awkward changes when cold, but once you have driven for a while, everything is fine. At 125k, it's currently on the proper LR stuff. I suspect either the input or output shafts are where the slack is on mine, cause even careful changing can be noisy. I need to get the gearbox Xmember rubber mount changed as well though.

Robin, can I ask how much in total it cost for your garage to do all that work? I have a LR emergency fund, just need to know if anything happens, what the damage might be! 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #379553 16th Dec 2014 11:22pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Mine cost me £390 (no vat) I bought the g/box, replacement disco TC, 4 part clutch, release bearing clip, TC seals. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #379593 17th Dec 2014 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12