↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > A Real Shocker! Advice Needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Litch

England 
"In my experience the 'de carbon gas type' shock are crap and break just like yours have. Even when fitted correctly. "

Everyone has different experiences, I had my DC gas shocks for 8-years and they were still working perfectly when I removed them and sold on for further use. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #375470 1st Dec 2014 12:19pm
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've ordered a pair of Koni heavy tracks today.
Post #375503 1st Dec 2014 2:29pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Litch wrote:
"In my experience the 'de carbon gas type' shock are crap and break just like yours have. Even when fitted correctly. "

Everyone has different experiences, I had my DC gas shocks for 8-years and they were still working perfectly when I removed them and sold on for further use.

Was your vehicle loaded most of the time and/or used on rough terrain?
Post #375545 1st Dec 2014 5:16pm
newhue

Australia 
Retroanaconda wrote:
The reason I was wondering was because one of the rear bushes on mine went like this when I first tightened it up to the specified torque and drove it for a while.

Click image to enlarge

Undone it and re-tightened, anyway I'm sure it'll be fine. Shocks seem to be good, though a little harsh perhaps. That may be because I've set them on too high a setting (2).

That looks like a a salisbury mount Do you have the flat washer between hanger and rubber? The rubber bush on mine is just a flat disc ( not the moulded P38 ones) placed between two steel washers. Both the same for upper and lower rubbers. I kept tightening until the nut bottoms out on the non threaded shaft. They do squash down a fair bit, but have been on for 70K ilm now with a good amount of articulating use.
I want to replace the rubbers as they are two years old now, but all I can seem to find that is quoted to fit a salisbury look nothing like the ones that came with the koni shocks. Instead they are the slightly risen moulded ones for P38s, or front ones which are smaller in diameter. Koni the slacko's have not replied to any emails. My Defender and travels
Post #375874 2nd Dec 2014 8:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
NickH wrote:
I have seen this before several times.
Firstly polybushes of any grade are not very good for land rovers. Yes the handling is transformed when the polybushes are fitted, its going to be, because you are replacing a squashy rubber bush along with its cushioning effect with a plastic bush that has no give whatsoever. Those loads that would have been absorbed by the rubber have to go somewhere.
What happens is any bolts securing the suspension components are subject to far more harsh loads so they wear themselves and the the holes they go into. Radius arms with poly bushes require tightening regularly until you get to a point where you have to replace the bolt and polybush. When you remove the bolt its holes are always worn oval. The same applies to the shockers, check the hole in the axle which the shocker goes through, I bet its worn far bigger than it should be.
Another factor is the shocks themselves, there are many better than what land rover fit but a lot of these shocks have a thinner threaded rod than standard LR ones, I dont know why this is but coupled with polybushes the shocker rod gets a ring worn in it were it goes through the axle making it thin enough to snap off !

Thumbs Up

Exactly & well said. The "loads have to go somewhere", which is why I asked what "grade" those bushes were,..still don't know,...were they the hard ones, soft ones or what?
Pickles.
Post #375933 2nd Dec 2014 10:17pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It's a Rover axle. Yep the flat washers are fitted against the axle bracket.

A while back I found a website selling spare bush sets:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=KONISPARES&s=category
Post #375934 2nd Dec 2014 10:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pickles - The red are the hardest grade, I have them on mine.
I cannot see any real argument for or against either type, both fail, both fail at varying mileage.
Yes, Polybushes are stiffer and genuine softer, with genuine not transmitting vibration so much to other components.
However, genuine don't last long and wear fairly quick and degrade with common antitrust treatments.
Rust plays a part in wear also and shocks are not something that you can change every five minutes without binning the shocks sooner or later.
On the shocks I previously had which were genuine with genuine bushes, the shocks were absolutely fine, but the bushes shot.
This in turn mean it was so loose the bolt through the middle could move around a lot, again causing excessive wear on a big scale.
Obviously I sorted this quick, but the shocks were seized especially the fronts and the only way to remove was to cut off.
So I had to get rid of perfectly good shocks thanks to genuine bushes being knackered at about 38k.
Post #375946 2nd Dec 2014 10:35pm
newhue

Australia 
Retroanaconda wrote:
It's a Rover axle. Yep the flat washers are fitted against the axle bracket.

A while back I found a website selling spare bush sets:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=KONISPARES&s=category

Nice, thank you My Defender and travels
Post #376013 3rd Dec 2014 8:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
custom90steve wrote:
Pickles - The red are the hardest grade, I have them on mine.
I cannot see any real argument for or against either type, both fail, both fail at varying mileage.
Yes, Polybushes are stiffer and genuine softer, with genuine not transmitting vibration so much to other components.
However, genuine don't last long and wear fairly quick and degrade with common antitrust treatments.
Rust plays a part in wear also and shocks are not something that you can change every five minutes without binning the shocks sooner or later.
On the shocks I previously had which were genuine with genuine bushes, the shocks were absolutely fine, but the bushes shot.
This in turn mean it was so loose the bolt through the middle could move around a lot, again causing excessive wear on a big scale.
Obviously I sorted this quick, but the shocks were seized especially the fronts and the only way to remove was to cut off.
So I had to get rid of perfectly good shocks thanks to genuine bushes being knackered at about 38k.

Thanks.
I haven't had any experience with Defender suspensions, but a fair bit with V8 Sedan stuff in Aus.
Many shy away from stiffer bushing because yes, they do maintain alignment settings much better, but because they are "stiff" with less "give" mors strain/vibration/shock etc is transferred to the mounting points which can sometimes fail. There has to be a compromise somewhere I suppose.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #376017 3rd Dec 2014 9:14am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
A common cause of breaking the bottom pin on rear shocks is having the dished washer the wrong way round. The dish should be away from the bush on the bottom of the lowest bush and the top of the bush above the axle bracket. If they are the other way round they can touch each other as the bush compresses.
I've not broken a pin since I learned this Very Happy
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #390503 20th Jan 2015 12:09pm
steventheplumber

England 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Keswick Green
thankyou Mo, am working on my rear axle at the moment so will follow your adivce Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #391133 21st Jan 2015 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12