↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Has anyone Installed Alpine SWE-1200 Compact 8 Subwoofer ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Cat81

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
A bit late to answer the thread - but thought I'd share anyway. I have the same subwoofer unit and had it professionally installed under the mid row seat. Placing it behind the cubby box ate too much leg room for potential middle seat passenger and also was, in my mind, too exposed to the view! It was easy to draw the wiring under the carpet and is much more discreet, plus base being non directional it makes no difference to the sound quality.

Let me know if you need pics.

Marc
Post #363900 12th Oct 2014 10:57am
jonnyboy

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Having read this thread , I bought a SWE-1200 and had a go fitting today. Bolted it to the back of the cubby. (Amp and controls mount inside quite neatly) But then I hit a wall trying to run cables from the head unit. (need L&R RCA feeds to the amp and then a switch cable back to the head unit.)

Removed as much of the dash as I dare (Mines a 2005 TD5 XS so oodles of cable back there and got the A/C in the way too) Took off the plastic fascia and plastic switch mount (around the radio) and could find no way to get the cables through without really starting to unbolt everything and disturb the oodles of wires that we're tightly packed in there. At that point I passed my competency threshold - or at least the threshold at which I thought I had a chance to get everything back together.

Anyone any tips for running the cables please - or recommend a fitted local to Wiltshire/Bath to finish the job.

Thanks

John
Post #367175 25th Oct 2014 11:10pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
On a TD5 there is a big hole between the dash behind the radio and the lower fuse box.

Run an RCA along the trans mission tunnel under the carpet / rubber into the fusebox then up into the dash Thumbs Up
Post #367184 26th Oct 2014 7:55am
jonnyboy

Thanks tiger. That was my plan. There was a void at the back that was chocker with cables and tried poking a cable and coat hanger down there but could get nothing through. Presumably I need to unbolt the a/c. Do you know if that just unbolts. Looks like it's just bolted on....
Post #367212 26th Oct 2014 11:06am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Easiest to run externally.

Out through the bulkhead and underneath and back up under the cubby
Post #367217 26th Oct 2014 11:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2 GOS

United Kingdom 
Can you tell me where land rover put the amp and remote for this sub? Pictures appreciated. Thanks.

I realise they could go under a seat but....where do LR put them?

Thanks in advance.
Post #367279 26th Oct 2014 5:54pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have a factory fitted option. First the sub is fitted to the back of the cubby but no one has mentioned the metal plate inside the cubby that is bolted in buy the subs bolts Whistle . With regards to the amp I have yet to find it... It is not under the seats or cubby! As for the remote there is not one as the head unit has sub settings on it hence no remote. If I ever find the amp I will let you know.

M 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #367413 27th Oct 2014 1:48am
2 GOS

United Kingdom 
Very kind. Thanks.

I suspect as TDCi Guy said, the aftermarket unit is different.
Post #367429 27th Oct 2014 9:41am
jonnyboy

To close my question from earlier - how to get the RCA and power cable behind the dash on an XS rammed with cabling and AC beneath.

Removed the dash and radio surround fascia. Then removed the panel covering the fuses. Found a tiny gap in the piles of cabling and magaged to push a bit of twin and earth down the back, past the AC and wiggle it until it came out beside the fuse box. Attached the RCA and remote power to the T&E with insulation tape and pulled it back up squeezing it past the rest of the cables. Et viola!!

Radio sounds much better now. Although the aerial is not great in places......
Post #374119 25th Nov 2014 12:21pm
Gus

Australia 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
I have the same unit as a factory-fitted option. It does a good job of competing with the other noises produced by the 'Deafener', but has one major flaw in my opinion: Because it's bolted to the back of the cubby box and it produces a lot of low-down bass, I find that all the contents of the cubby vibrate and rattle in sympathy, contributing to the cacophony! Yet another endearing feature Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Gus on 28th Nov 2014 9:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #374753 28th Nov 2014 6:20am
mark_d

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Pioneer have just announced a new low profile active subwoofer that could be worth considering if you are going for this type of install.
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/newsroom/news/TS-WH500A/page.html http://defender90xs.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #374756 28th Nov 2014 6:50am
Granto

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I fitted one of these at the weekend on my 2015 90XS SW. The tip on the T+E cable for pulling the cables into the dash without dismantling it was dead-on. I pushed the T+E up the back of the dash from the passenger footwell. In 10 seconds it appeared behind the radio and I was able to tape the RCA and amp enable wire to it, pull it in. Cables sit neatly under the floor covering. Great tip, thanks!

I drilled a 20mm hole in the front of the battery box, popped in a 20mm standard mains wiring gromet and passed the wires through there (the plug for the amp from the head unit will fit through a 20mm gromet with a little wiggle).

I mounted the amp in the battery box with heavy-duty sticky fixings.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the guidance!
Post #440663 27th Jul 2015 12:55pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Just received an Alpine SWE1200, on the yellow battery lead it finishes in a slender round female terminal. Where does this connect onto the underseat fuse box with a 10a terminal?

The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-X7800DAB unit which switches on with the ignition first turn, so I’m not 100pc certain if the yellow lead should go to a live fuse box terminal or needs to be routed via the head unit as the instructions state that if the head unit does not have a remote turn on lead, connect the ACC power lead to this unit....

Thanks for any info.
Post #864672 31st Oct 2020 10:48pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
I’ve just come across piggy back fuse holders....didn’t know these existed so I’ve ordered some .
Post #864708 1st Nov 2020 9:16am
Granto

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Now there's a resurrected thread!

[Digs back deep into memory of install....]

The yellow lead isn't a battery lead - it's the enable signal for the amplifier. When that signal is taken high it turn the amp on. Have a dig around the back of the head unit to see if there's an enable signal output on the head unit.

If not, connect it to something that comes on as soon as the ignition key is turned (ACC position or further). Don't connect it directly to anything which is permanently live as the amp will be on all the time and drain your battery.

From memory there's both a male and female bullet on the end of that signal so that you can connect it into the main power supply for the amp when there isn't an enable signal. Just make sure that power supply switches on and off with the ignition!

FWIW, I powered my amp from an external (permanently live) fuse box and I think I ran the yellow to a dedicated output on the stock head unit to switch it on and off. Worked great. Thumbs Up

Hope that helps!
Post #864724 1st Nov 2020 10:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>