↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > TD5 Heater fan issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Barrowboy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Blenheim Silver
TD5 Heater fan issue
Ok, so we all know that the TD5 isn't the fastest model to warm up the occupants or the warmest to travel in once 'warm' air starts blowing through but I seem to have an issue with the fan...

For the past 6 weeks, when I switch the fan on, I hear a dull 'muffled' sound as if the fan's working (albeit not very strongly) but absolutely no air is being produced through the vents (windscreen or cabin). I've got used to it and an investigation is on the 'to do' list but was shocked today when warm air started blowing through the vent and the fan wasn't at all muffled but apparently freed-up, working as it should. This pleasant surprise only lasted for a minute before it reverted to no air and a muffled sound again. Before this episode I had initially thought that a piece of ducting had become detached but after today's experience, this clearly isn't the case.

I've used the search function on here but can't find any posts detailing similar symptoms. Is it known for the fan to become 'jammed' or 'restricted'? I've checked the drain-hole under the wing but it's all clear and there's no accumulated debris in the channel leading to the unit containing the fan.

Any suggestions that can give me a head start for my investigation this weekend?
Post #374698 27th Nov 2014 10:22pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It's been a long time since I've had a heater apart but my understanding of it is that the heater control on the left of the instruments opens a flap to let air in to the heater and should create some air flow even with the fan off as the car moves along,this control also act as a switch for the two speed fan. It sounds as though your flap is not opening either because there is an issue with the Bowden cable that operates it or an issue inside the heater not allowing the flap to open. Your fan is clearly working because you can hear it but no air is being allowed to enter the heater box hence no air flow.
Try moving the control lever to the top of its travel and look at the heater and see where the lever is and then to the bottom of its travel and check again to see if it has moved,if it hasn't then your cable has probably become detached at one end,if the lever appears to move through its full travel then the problem is probably inside the heater box. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #374734 27th Nov 2014 11:59pm
Barrowboy

Lou, that would seem to be a good place to start, thank you. I naively thought it was just a fan switch on the left side of the instruments but if it also has a mechanical function, opening the flap, then that makes sense...

I'll investigate and revert.
Post #374736 28th Nov 2014 12:03am
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
There are two levers on the heater box,one controls the heat (it's a good idea to make sure this moves fully through its travel too) and one for controlling the flow and I can't remember which is which without looking but it should be fairly obvious when you look at the heater. If your flow lever is stuck in the shut position because the cable is detached in the dash you can remove the clamp that attaches the inner cable to the lever and tie the lever in the open position as a temporary fix.
The Td5 heater is really quite good when adjusted properly, in mine if the ambient temp is over about 5 degrees and the engine is up to full temp (10 miles) and the fan is on high then it is hard to keep my hand over one over the screen vents for more than about ten seconds due to the heat. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #374737 28th Nov 2014 12:20am
Barrowboy

All sorted, thanks guys.

The cable controlling the 'flap' inside the heater unit was jammed in the closed position so although the lever was moving at the dashboard, absolutely Censored all was happening at the heater box.

Easy five-minute fix thanks to the advice on here.

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #374844 28th Nov 2014 3:59pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
This sounds like it could be my issue, thank you search function
Post #494630 21st Jan 2016 7:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1