↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Building a snow plough, but unsure of traffic laws
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bobble

United Kingdom 
funrover wrote:
the vehicle must be used for the sole purpose of clearing snow. Whether this rule only applies to highways agency vehicles I'm not sure, but it also means you no longer require an MOT. This doesn't suit our 90 as we need to use it the rest of the year too.

Highways Agency vehicles aren't subject to road fund licenses, snow plough or not.
Have you considered just buying a snow-plough attachment? Probably much cheaper in the long run as someone else will have had to wade through all that boring and confusing legal stuff to get it to market.
Post #98931 9th Nov 2011 2:29pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 
As a snow-plough owner, the reading of the above is not inspiring...

Plough was bought with Defender 90 attached 12 months ago (300tdi truck cab in snow vehicle yellow - you probably all saw it on eBay) and insured last year for £350 (!!!)

Struggling this year below £1200. Mere mention of a snow plough stops the call operator in his/her tracks - "We'll call you back...."

I came on here to find out others' experiences of insuring Defender+snowplough; looks like there is not much recorded experience around...

FWIW last year's insurers deemed a snowplough as a "reasonable external accessory for the vehicle" - I don't seem to persuade anyone else of this.

Andy Carefully going everywhere
Post #190874 4th Dec 2012 5:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you are snow-ploughing, don't use red diesel. That is illegal and was one of the main problems faced by farmers when asked to help.
Post #190887 4th Dec 2012 5:57pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
AndrewW wrote:

Plough was bought with Defender 90 attached 12 months ago (300tdi truck cab in snow vehicle yellow - you probably all saw it on eBay)

Nice motor! Did you get it from Simmonites? An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #190921 4th Dec 2012 7:10pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 
blackwolf - I wouldn't touch red diesel; not worth the risk!! The traces last for ever in the system, they say... And then they confiscate the vehicle! Although we were told in the depths of the bad winters 2009/10 and 2010/11 we could use it in Mountain Rescue vehicles if needed.

GUM97 - yep, a Simmonites motor. Nice job. 16 years old, looks new. Drives well too. Mark there reckons he designed the plough and Jake Wright copied his design

A Carefully going everywhere
Post #191037 5th Dec 2012 2:54am
funrover

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Just by way of update.

I have now secured insurance for:

The plough as a modification on the vehicle (Adrian Flux)
    Public liability expressly for snow ploughing and ice removal to the tune of £5 million (unsure of underwriter, done through a comparison site)

So, next stage, to build the plough and a simple gritter.

The DVLA / VOSA sent me some regs on ploughs and I'll be creating a health and safety assessment checklist to follow. It's most certainly not easy to plough in the event of bad weather here though. Editor of FunRover - One blog. Read it!
Land Rover rebuild video series here:
Post #373869 24th Nov 2014 10:03am
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
Simpler answer is:

You have a 2008. From 2001 vehicles became Type Specific and reuired Type Approval, such that what ever you fit as to have ben designed, built,tested and approved for that make and model.

Hence why you can throw any old tow bar on a Tdi, but not on TD5 onwards.

Sme goes for everything thac ould be fitted to the vheilce.

So older - mst meet various regualtions (and be approved) wher as newer is new buy only.

What you intend on putting it on will define what you can do.
Post #373993 24th Nov 2014 8:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cuthbert

Rather than rely on pub talk or I heard about it from the boys at school. I will share the following.

My local Council got very excited about all snow clearing activities on the public highway two Winters ago. When the authorities couldn't cope, we offered to clear the snow ourselves. We were warned that they would take legal action against us as we did not have all the 'appropriate' insurances in place - including any potential damage to the road surface and potential claims from third parties who might suffer in some way.

In a nutshell - they didn't want anyone with enterprise or committing an act of public decency to clear the Queen's highway.

We did have the last laugh however when the 'approved' contractor eventually tuned up and managed to shear off their plough on a traffic island kerb - hidden beneath the snow! "Where their blame there's a claim"! as my lawyer might say.
Post #374044 24th Nov 2014 11:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Why not just put your hand in your pocket and get this:

Looks like it could handle a bit of snow...

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,2...U.C.E..htm
Post #374122 25th Nov 2014 12:49pm
funrover

Wangers wrote:
Simpler answer is:

You have a 2008. From 2001 vehicles became Type Specific and reuired Type Approval, such that what ever you fit as to have ben designed, built,tested and approved for that make and model.

Hence why you can throw any old tow bar on a Tdi, but not on TD5 onwards.

Sme goes for everything thac ould be fitted to the vheilce.

So older - mst meet various regualtions (and be approved) wher as newer is new buy only.

What you intend on putting it on will define what you can do.

Hi Wangers, do you have any further info on this please?

Cuthbert wrote:
Rather than rely on pub talk or I heard about it from the boys at school. I will share the following.

My local Council got very excited about all snow clearing activities on the public highway two Winters ago. When the authorities couldn't cope, we offered to clear the snow ourselves. We were warned that they would take legal action against us as we did not have all the 'appropriate' insurances in place - including any potential damage to the road surface and potential claims from third parties who might suffer in some way.

In a nutshell - they didn't want anyone with enterprise or committing an act of public decency to clear the Queen's highway.

We did have the last laugh however when the 'approved' contractor eventually tuned up and managed to shear off their plough on a traffic island kerb - hidden beneath the snow! "Where their blame there's a claim"! as my lawyer might say.

Hi Cuthbert, Will most definitely not be sub-contracting to the council. I couldn't get liability insurance for this and I'd rather be in bed at 4:30 am rather than driving round ploughing roads Wink

Will be sticking to private roads, car parks and private drives. Wink Editor of FunRover - One blog. Read it!
Post #374212 25th Nov 2014 10:48pm
Wangers

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Aintree Green
EU and UN Directives:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/ecwv...ective.asp as a starting point.
Post #374251 26th Nov 2014 9:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
funrover

Thanks Wangers Thumbs Up Editor of FunRover - One blog. Read it!
Post #374296 26th Nov 2014 2:33pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 
SCARY-Y-Y...

I'm sticking to by-ways and private roads.

Just re-insured with Adrian Flux for £255 for 12 months (Defender 90, 1500 miles annually) Carefully going everywhere
Post #374320 26th Nov 2014 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12