↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > How to secure demountable camper unit to HCPU tray?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Every piece of camping equipment has been well thought out by me.Things like the 2 seats, table and the cooking equipment can be fit in one "little" rucksack. Laughing
Curious how it all turns out when you're finished. Had a look at Lelycampers, but my god! They are huge... Laughing
Post #367976 29th Oct 2014 11:34am
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Quote:
Curious how it all turns out when you're finished.

I couldn't have said it better myself Laughing

Quote:
Had a look at Lelycampers, but my god! They are huge...

Yes, there are some very bulky camper units around, but they have their comforts of course (fully equipped bathroom, for one). Each to his own I guess, but I (like you) don't like it when the camper unit morphs the Defender into some sort of road going skyscraper so I'm trying to keep the size of mine down. But as said before: I, too, am very curious how it all turns out. Rolling with laughter Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #367977 29th Oct 2014 11:44am
DemountLandy

United Kingdom 
Camper attachment
I picked up my new Northstar demountable in September 2011 and as in interim measure used ratchet straps onto my tree sliders at the front and onto the rear crossmember at the rear. Ten thousand miles and many off-roading trips later I'm still thinking about a permanent solution!!

The straps have worked fine but do look rather temporary. The camper has not moved more than 12mm even during some relatively extreme off-roading and axle twisting.

I am, however, going the eye and turnbuckle route. At the front onto that little flat bit at the rear corners of the cab which will be braced with tensioned rods down onto the chassis - at the back I'm still not sure yet but there are several strong points available!

I certainly would not mount the camper just to the tub as they do on the Jap type pickups with steel tubs. My previous mount, a Mitsubishi L200's chassis twisted so much there really wasn't a viable option. My Defender's chassis is over twice the section and twice the gauge so probably in excess of four times as rigid. Twist is, therefore, not an issue.

Martin

Click image to enlarge
Post #372882 19th Nov 2014 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12