↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Nuggets 110 Aussie Crew Cab Tourer Build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
nugge t

Australia 
Nuggets 110 Aussie Crew Cab Tourer Build
Just purchased a new 110 Crew Cab and have plenty of plans for an ongoing build so thought I would get pictorial evidence of how it started on the record.

The goal is to evolve a 2 person touring truck that still has rear seats and which is even more capable off-road than it is now. Not after a hard core rock hopper and importantly, want to keep it street legal in Queensland as much as possible.

This is the blank canvas I am starting with so the possibilities are endless and will be explored!

The mods list is long but I will slowly work through it and no doubt it will be added to and changed but it goes something like this

bullbar, winch, spotties
dual battery, mulgo seat extensions and console lift
scan gauge 11, front and rear ARB diff locks
rock sliders, recovery points, under body bash plates
long range tank
snorkel with Syclone pre filter, inverter
suspension upgrade as and if required
roof rack
lift out camping system for the rear incorporating a roof top camper
roof console with uhf
navigation system, tyre monitoring, hot water shower, awning

but started today with a new set of rubber and rims.... 285 75 R16 MTZ's

Fitted a scan gauge 2 last night. Find them really handy on long trips as you can monitor various engine parameters more accurately as well as keep an eye on fuel consumption and the remaining range of your fuel that is how many kms before you run out.

Also will tell you which engine code it is if you have an engine light come on..heaven forbid!

This will not be its final location as it will become permanently fitted when I do some other work which is in the think tank.

One of the face colour options is also really close to the radio and instrument panel as well.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by nugge t on 31st Oct 2014 12:10am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #368407 31st Oct 2014 12:00am
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Nice looking truck, your plans sound good Smile

If you edit the above post, use the forum image tags to make it an image (select the url for each photo then click 'Img' button) they should appear for all to see. Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #368410 31st Oct 2014 12:04am
nugge t

Australia 
Thanks mate..each forum is a bit different and I am slowly coming to terms.. Very Happy
Post #368411 31st Oct 2014 12:11am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Hi,

Very nice, just been trolling through you photos, interesting ideas there. Some look similar

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
Andy
Post #368413 31st Oct 2014 12:16am
nugge t

Australia 
I should just point out that this is a repost of a build post from the Aussie AULRO forum and I have since actually sold the 110 and am building up a 130 but I thought people might be interested in some of the mods I did to the 110.

Crossed a couple of jobs off the list on the weekend. First is pretty standard...Mulgo seat rail extensions. Had fitted the drivers but finally did the passenger's so Mrs nugget doesn't have to have her feet on the dash.

Next was a bit more challenging and know plenty on the forum have thrashed dual battery options about at 20 paces.

At the end of the day it is what suits what you do. I have found with the touring that I do I don't generally sit around for days on end without driving so a 40 amp/hr battery has kept the Engel cold and the lights on for 3 years. I didn't want to buy a new battery just for the hell of it but also want to leave my options open for the future should things change.

In a nutshell I wanted to use as much of what I have but not modify too much incase I decide to change things later.

Also I have some long term plans of how I want things but also have a trip with friends next weekend so need some semi temporary hook ups that won't become a burden undoing later on.

First up was to fit the Sidewinder isolator. Had these on my last 3 trucks and never had a problem. Simple to fit and at $79, great value.

To hold the battery down, I decided to use the existing stud and also a stainless Rivnut that I installed. I turned up a couple of posts that I could bolt down to with a coupe of long stainless bolts I had left from some other project. A bit of aluminium flat joins it all together. The post that screws onto the existing stud double up as the earth as well.

A little flat and tapped thread makes sure the earth wires get a good grounding.

Battery in, everything hooked up, even the jack still fits.

Best part is if I decide to change the only mod is the addition of 1 Rivnut which I could blind off with a grub screw and sealant.

Now I just have to run some cables for my fridges and lights.

Fitted my new rear recovery point tonight after making it on the weekend and getting it back from powder coating today.

Based on a South African design I saw on the net and was able to make from odds and sods steel I had in the rack.

Fitted the Terrafirma flares. Few problems with the quality which is covered in a separate thread in the Defender section but at least I am almost legal as far as the tyres not extending past the guards A really pedantic copper might pick a section just above the mudflap where the flare tapers back into the body and the mudflap is "Notched" and you can see a small section of tread but he would have missed out the night before.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #368429 31st Oct 2014 3:30am
nugge t

Australia 
Having just bought a small turret mill, I decided to raise the diff breathers and to machine a manifold from billet. Slight overkill…maybe …but it was a good learner project and it felt good!

You might also notice how straight the "wing" on top of the mud guard was fitted by the dealership....This was how I came to meet the Service Manager and he has looked after me every since.

Very happy with it in sand. Could actually have got by in 2WD with the tyres down but did the right thing in the softer sections especially at the beach and Leisha Track entry/exits.

Not at all set up as yet which is a bit hard after having the H3 so set up. I jury rigged a set up for the Engel for the weekend off the dual battery so the important stuff was looked after...cold beer. Weather was pretty ordinary with close to torrential rain when we arrived but luckily it picked up for the next couple of days.

The tailgate comes in handy as a work bench/cooking etc. Can see that getting plenty of use down the track so I hope it is the right height for Wendy!!!

Quick trip around to Rainbow..how good is Rainbow!!??!!

Really needs to be low tide to be able to get too far around the bay

Not a heap of room at the rainbow entry/exit but in a Defender, you don't need it!

Damn that rig looks good on the beach even if I do say so myself!

Well the weather in Brissie might be perfect if you are a duck, but it did have an upside for me ....... a day in the shed knocking over a pretty stock Defender project but one I have been wanting to get to for some time, installing my Mulgo E Box. The idea of raising the electrics appealed, having given a few trucks internal baths over the years and a higher centre console would be a better height for an arm rest on long trips.

For anyone not familiar with Defenders, this is how it all looks out of the show room.

The electrics are currently under the driver’s seat and the idea is to free up this room for another yet to be determined use.

Under the centre console is a plate which also has to come off and which then gives you complete access...even to the ground below!

Now it is time to start getting into the nitty gritty...removing the electrics. I numbered each joiner so I would know where it had to go back.

Next you pull the harness out of the side hole

One set of wires have to be stripped out and fed back into the original compartment. As they would now be exposed under the car, I protected them and also applied heat shrink.

Daniel had also told me that heat could be a problem with the E Box so I protected the under side with Heat shield to minimise the effect.

The wiring harness is then fed through the bottom of the E Box and the box bolted in place. The ABS box and Fuse box bolt straight in. The relay strip are drilled off and then relocated in the box.

Centre console bolted onto the lid so the E Box

Job done..

Well job almost done....I have a bit of wiring to tidy up and check under the truck and also holes to block off in the original cavity under the drivers seat...

Plugged up the holes under the drivers seat this morning. Decided to just rivet an ally strip with lots of silicone where the spot weld were drilled out. The holes were too big to rivet so I drilled new holes so I could use a smaller, more confined space and small handed operator friendly.

The large hole I turn up a disc out of some polyurethane tube I had and bolted it through the middle to an ally strap across the back, plus the compulsory silicone.

Post #368430 31st Oct 2014 3:35am
nugge t

Australia 
Things have been a bit slow to get started on my rig but are starting to hot up now. Half way through building an aluminium roof rack.

Got some more done on the roof rack basket

Decided to make my own gutter mount system as well.

And plates to weld into the basket which is how it will bolt to the brackets.

The brackets I designed and then had laser cut and bent. Finally all the pieces are ready.

Welded the gusset pieces into the brackets for extra strength

Quick linish got rid of the bent marks

Welded the threaded mounting blocks on

Once everything was back from powder coating it was assembly time. I made up a small mould to mould some 5mm thick polyurethane as a flex point which then fitted between the basket plate and the bracket. I thought this would allow for flex and had nothing to do with extra tolerance required due to the level of fabrication skill!!

Also used some rubber on the mounting feet to protect the paint work…really important on a Defender of course!

Ran all of the wires for the 4 HID’s which will sit across the front

And bingo, quicker than a Pommie innings in a recent Test series….sorry guys…just couldn’t help it!!!!......one roof rack

I appreciate that some may not like the height but it is deliberate to match with slide on camper unit with a roof top tent that is on the drawing board.

I was really happy with the way the brackets came up

Started to hook up the lights. Decided to have connectors roof side so the rack can be removed if required. Also used opposing connectors to ensure the wires can not be crossed over.

The finished job

Post #368431 31st Oct 2014 3:43am
Terryt

United Kingdom 
Very nice indeed, great home made rack very proffesionaly done.... You should market those ..neat job on the wiring too..
Terry
Post #368450 31st Oct 2014 10:16am
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Great looking truck @nugget and some awesome workmanship going into your add ons too... Bow down

Particularly interested and impressed with the move of your electrics... Thumbs Up

But doesn't that new box now make the centre console/cubby just that bit too high?... Mr. Green

Excellent project to follow though, thanks for sharing your progress with us... Wink
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #368459 31st Oct 2014 11:15am
nugge t

Australia 
Thanks guys. The E Box does raise the centre console as you say . Initially the elbow can take a hit or two in rough terrain but I actually find it really comfortable for touring. I am not that tall..OK..vertically challenged...and the height is just right.

Having a history of doing a couple of full interior washes on some deep water crossings over the years, raising the electrics is pretty important to me.

On a trip not all that long after installing the E Box, I did have water almost to the top of the seat boxes and there was plenty of water where the electrics were so I was pretty pleased to have made the mod. It is also one of the first thigns I have done to my new 130.
Post #368552 31st Oct 2014 8:18pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Good to see your truck and your fantastic engineering skills. Looking forward to receiving my nugget stuff puma airbox Wink
Andy.
Post #368567 31st Oct 2014 8:44pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Great build thread and some fan pics of your travels.

Mine is 90 Td5 auto - so a bit of a different concept required for 2 person touring but you may be interested in our blog - from our build through to our 4 month Aussie Adventure earlier this year!
See link in my sig below Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #368568 31st Oct 2014 8:45pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
very nice DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #368579 31st Oct 2014 9:13pm
nugge t

Australia 
Pam W wrote:
Great build thread and some fan pics of your travels.

Mine is 90 Td5 auto - so a bit of a different concept required for 2 person touring but you may be interested in our blog - from our build through to our 4 month Aussie Adventure earlier this year!
See link in my sig below

Looks like you had a great time. The biggest problem for 90's in Oz is carrying enough fuel and you seem to have fixed that with multiple tanks. I cover tanks later in the build.

Cheers
Post #368597 31st Oct 2014 9:49pm
Cuthbert

I really like this thread.

Here's an owner who doesn't simply mail order all the standard accessories but rolls up his sleeves, designs and fabricates.

I take my hat off to you Sir!

First class work and proof that that a 'can do' approach is still in evidence in some parts of the world.

I look forward to further instalments ........

p.s. I hope you have the intellectual property rights stitched up - doubtless someone with a lot less talent will be looking and thinking "I could copy that"!
Post #368639 31st Oct 2014 11:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>