↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Tune my Defender tuning recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Tune my Defender tuning recommendations?
Hello all,

The time has come to coax a few more GGs out of the Td5, which is currently standard (2005 td5 XS 90) bar the Ashcroft 1.2 transfer ratio kit change.

I'm based on the south coast near Southampton, so don't have easy access to 'get up north' and visit one of the numerous tuners. However I see that Tune My Defender (http://tmdtuning.com/) isn't a million miles away (Eastbourne).

They offer a 'stage 3' setup (TMD450) which seems to be the full works, intercooler, hybrid turbo, hoses, exhaust, air filter, EGR removal, remap and boost module controller unit.

I believe that I spoke to the TMD owner at Peterborough last month, who informed me it takes about 5 hours to fit this kit, which is pretty convenient as it just means one trip over to them.

However it is a lot of money (over 3k with VAT, before fitting), and I would have liked to have heard any experiences from anyone else who has been over to see them, before handing over a great wedge of cash.

If I'm honest I probably don't need all the power the stage 3 kit offers - but I like the idea of a variable vain turbo to reduce turbo lag at low RPM, and also wanted the stainless exhaust to provide a little audio satisfaction from the td5 (after all that was the primary reason I went with the Td5 rather than a newer Ford engine).

I'd like to get it all done asap as I've got an off-roading trip to the lakes booked for December, and suspect the extra power will come in handy for comfortable cruising up the motorways!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ChrisA.
Post #367138 25th Oct 2014 7:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Have you considered Alive?
Post #367139 25th Oct 2014 7:35pm
Hufflepuff

I've looked at them yes - but being based in Grimsby it is a (according to Google) almost 10 hour round trip to them. It starts to get difficult to get the vehicle to them early enough for them to fit the work in a day (its my only vehicle so I'm not prepared to take the risk of doing the work myself and potentially be without transport for a while)
Post #367141 25th Oct 2014 7:39pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
Chris at CSK is just about to offer Alive stuff and he is based in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire... Thumbs Up
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #367142 25th Oct 2014 7:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^ Good idea, Chris would indeed be able to do it.
The tuning its self can be done using TRIC but the parts fitting he could do too.
Like you it's our only transport too.
Mines a Puma and not modded but has a stage 1 remap.
Post #367144 25th Oct 2014 7:44pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
I wouldn't be surprised if TMD were agents of one of the "main" tuning companies. Looking at the increments they offer they seem to be similar to the offerings of IRB. Not sure if there's any truth in that however!

I doubt you'd need to go to Stage 3 straight away, even a Stage 1 is a vast improvement over a standard TD5. If I were you I'd fit a de-cat, de-egr, an ITG air filter and get it remapped or if you really want to push the boat out get the intercooler too! Thumbs Up

When you're getting into hybrid turbo territory you really want to take a look at upgrading brakes, dampers and anti-rollbar as well. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #367151 25th Oct 2014 8:24pm
Hufflepuff

Ah sorry I should have said up front - TMD have teamed up with Bell Auto Services to provide the south with a fitting centre (BAS are affiliated with IRB aren't they?).

Thanks for the suggestions anyway gentlemen. I didn't want to lose the cat - I asked the local MOT garage what difficulties that would cause and they straight up said it would be a blanket fail.
Post #367152 25th Oct 2014 8:34pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
A stage 1 remap from Alive transformed my Td5, it had no bad effects and I sold it at 166 thou miles, purring like a racing cat. Really really miss it. I've had other companies maps, but Gary's are what you want, not what's easiest for them. Can't recommend enough, I'm three hours away from him, and I'm having Tdci problems, so he overnighted a boxful of toys to sort my problem. No asking for money, no questions, just solutions and help. Even phone assistance till gone 10pm at night, and on Sundays.

Be Alive

Andy
Post #367158 25th Oct 2014 8:58pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
I think Pete at BAS and Ian at IRB are both entirely separate but I know both have put a lot of time and effort into testing and developing the TD5 and TDCi.

If you wanted to be cheeky about the de-cat you could always remove the internals of the cat and put the pipe back onto the vehicle as myself and some others have done, the MOT test is only a visual inspection for the presence of a cat. There's also the option of a sport-cat if you go down the stainless exhuast route. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #367159 25th Oct 2014 8:59pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Pop over and try mine. Gwyn Lewis exhaust with a JE Engineering stage 1 remap. Very pleased with it and has been faultless for the past 4 years Thumbs Up and it sounds awesome.

I'm over in Lymingron so quite close if you fancy a test drive. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #367171 25th Oct 2014 9:54pm
Hufflepuff

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the offer Landlord - although I don't want to put you to any trouble so I will decline the kind offer thanks.

I need to tot up all the items on the wishlist (new alloys, LED lights, tubular bumper, underbody protection) and see how fat the piggybank currently is before making a final decision - I'll also look more carefully at Alive and see if I can work out a way to get up there.
Post #367395 26th Oct 2014 11:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Maybe if you discuss with Gary you can at least have a stage one map done by ATRIC right now with a view of the parts upgrade and further tuning a little later on.
You may this way at least get a taste of what your in for immediately and you may even find that alone adequate for what you require.
I'm sure he'll understand and could help out.
Thumbs Up
Post #367397 26th Oct 2014 11:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1