↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Brake upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I tried green stuff in a Jag once, not great and extremely dirty, exactly the opposite to what their ads said. 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #363640 10th Oct 2014 7:21pm
fisha

When I had my 4.4 RR and towing, I tried EBC green and found them to be not really much better than any other generic off the shelf pad.

I changed to a set of EBC yellows and they were really very good. On the first use of the brake, you could tell they were a bit cold and needed some warmth in them, but it was certainly not a case of being so cold that you were thinking you're not going to stop .... its more that come the second use the performance was so much better.

I really felt that you could press the pedal really deeply with them and the power just kept coming through, and not really reach a point where I was thinking I'm on the limit of the braking ability from the pads. -------------------------------
I miss my V8's....
Post #366676 23rd Oct 2014 4:29pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I m with the CC as well Smile

I tow a Elddis Avante five berth weighs about two ton when all the bits are in, awning, kit, clothes, food etc, never had a problem with towing it even up the steepest incline.
My advice is don't worry a Defender will cope with just about any caravan combination.
Post #366682 23rd Oct 2014 4:55pm
AWOL

Surprised at the love here for the EBC greens: only had them on one car (not a Landy) but they were the nastiest, spongiest, pads I've ever used. Mintex and Ferodo make some nice pads that are much more "bitey" than the EBC greens.
Post #366979 24th Oct 2014 8:00pm
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Caravan Club matching service
Hi Galarion and AWOL many thanks for your input, Galarion the CC club sent me another email after contacting them and it was from their technical guy, very nice reply, he also sent me a report on the Defender Puma which they did in 2007 which covered in brief an actual test.

If you read the very brief report its not a bad one generally but says the Defender uncomfortable, noisy and lacks power and the brakes did not inspire confidence? the report in many ways contradicts itself but what surprised me was they are still adamant that the Defender is under powered but advise should be ok to tow a caravan "up to" 1500kg which in fact was the contradiction as the matching service does not recommend anything!!!

I contacted them again but have not had a reply as yet, I asked them where in the hell do they get their figures from when the defender was produced as a work horse and capable of pulling 3500kg !!!

I contacted Alive tuning and again I had a lovely reply from Ben, he advised me that if worried I can get it remapped and obtain another 35/40 hp, in addition they could supply an upgraded intercooler which would increase that again which would pull 3500kg like there was no tomorrow.

In conclusion like you his final comment was I do not know where the CC get their figures from? the defender even in its standard format is capable of pulling 3500gk all be it with a bit of a struggle, so disregard their figures and dont worry about it, To me the CC guide lines although a good guide should only be used as a guide and no more.

Regards to all again

Ole Dave
Post #367046 25th Oct 2014 9:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
munch90

England 
the guide lines don't take into account gearing

they matching hp to hillstarts and hilling climbing efforts

example if you got a car that's 300hp and geared to do 200mph , it would be useless at pulling away on a hill because the gearing would be to high

if you got a car that's 150hp and geared to do 100mph it would be ok for hillstarts etc

all roughly speaking but only a example if you know what I mean

and after all you drive to what your towing , heavier then leave bigger gap etc , pull away steady etc
Post #367059 25th Oct 2014 11:41am
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Very true Munch90, could not have put it better myself !!

In reality and as my old dad love him would say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating!! the proof is and which I tried to point out to the CC club was when towing my caravan the Puma went like a racehorse, on the flat and on some reasonable hilly sections of the M4 the Beast did not blink an eye at them in 6th gear, nothing like the prediction they make in their matching guide or the report. I ate long steep hills, hill starts were a doddle, and ok it is a bit noisy but thankfully that drowns out the incesant rabbiting my wife is so good at when she is with me, so that is also a big bonus point. Very Happy

The brakes, I agreed with the CC club on that point as they are not great even without the caravan but as you say you drive what your towing, I have had a few frights mind when some thoughtless idiot not looking and watching for oncoming traffic suddenly pull out in front of me!! trying to stop the defender with 1100 + kilos behind at 50mph is nerve wracking. Hitting a small family car side on at that speed and with that weight? the Puma would have gone straight through !!

Well thanks guys, great talking to you

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #367066 25th Oct 2014 12:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12