Home > Wheels & Tyres > Modular Wheel Offset on a Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Modular Wheel Offset on a Puma
Hello again,

Moving on from the "what modular wheels" threads I'm wondering what you fine people do to fill our your wheel arches on a Puma defender. The standard wheel and tyre combo are about an inch or so inside the inner most edge of the wheel arch so they could do with bringing out a bit to at least match the wheel arches are fitted. I've been looking intently for a -25mm offset modular wheel but that information doesn't seem to be freely advertised, the best I've seen is a -35mm offset on a 10" modular but that's much wider than I'm looking for. I'm not looking to bring the tyres out past the outer edge of the wheel arch, just to the inner most edge so I don't need anything daft of super aggressive, just a little more aggressive than standard.

So the question, if I fitted BFG Mud 265/75/16's to 16 x 7 modular's to a 0 offset wheel, would it fill the wheel arche or do I need some negative offset to achieve that and then where can I get negative offset modular's and how much offset do I need?

Thanks
Andy.
Post #363676 10th Oct 2014 9:11pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I have 7x16s ET-8 with 265s. They fill the arch very nicely and are still legal Smile Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #363705 10th Oct 2014 11:19pm
Grouse

On a 16x7 rim et08 give or take a mm is perfect if you want to avoid the redneck look Wink Very Happy the tyre sits just within the arch with a 265 and it doesn't mess up your steering geometry with wobble or shakes
Post #363716 11th Oct 2014 3:46am
Ronin

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 ST Keswick Green
I've gone for ET-32 16x10 modulars and, well, erm, I'm going to have some difficulty making them legal... Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #366631 23rd Oct 2014 1:00pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
They're going to need some rather large arches Shocked and probably some better dampers to control all the extra unsprung weight! 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #366684 23rd Oct 2014 5:02pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
There's a thread by Fekete on some very nice flexible arch extensions... in case you need them Whistle
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5309.h...extensions
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #366689 23rd Oct 2014 5:16pm
Ronin

To be fair, the truck still had 30mm spacers fitted when that photo was taken (I was just experimenting, honest). That said, I'm still going to have to go a little farther than normal if I'm to avoid raised eyebrows at the MOT test centre and the occasional pull from HM Constabulary.

Plan is to fit rear eyebrows to the 130's tub and to get some additional spats like Fekete's for the front. Hopefully that will be enough... Whistle

The unsprung weight point is one I hadn't considered. That said, the HD steels which are currently fitted are by no means lightweight.
Post #366821 24th Oct 2014 7:24am
Grouse

why don't you just fit twin wheels at the back - would look far better Thumbs Up
Post #366832 24th Oct 2014 8:41am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
A 10" rim is not everyones cup of tea. Personally I love the way they look and the 'stance' it gives the vehicle. Fekete's modulars had the same offset as my Mach 5s and both sets were 10" wide but only 15" not 16".

On Fekete's recommendation I went for the same tyres but did not want them to stick out quite as far. The tyres were high flotation sizes on both trucks.....Feketes were 12.5" wide whilst I went for 32 x 11.5" which negated any requirement for arch extensions. Fekete had some sort of 'brush' with Mr Plod and I believe whilst not in an official capacity in the form of a compliance notice (or whatever they call it) he was very strongly advised to do something about it.

Ultimately with careful tyre selection you may not have to do anything at all. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #366833 24th Oct 2014 8:45am
Ronin

We'll see!

I'm currently thinking BFG 295 ATs or 305 MTs, but I'm waiting to see what happens with the KO2 before splashing out. Knowing my luck, I'd pick up a puncture immediately if I went for the outgoing AT and would have to put up with a spare which didn't match...

I'm so excited to see how it all looks mounted up, however. I know that plenty won't like the look but that, as is said many times on the forum, is the beauty of the Defender: no two are the same. Thumbs Up
Post #366924 24th Oct 2014 5:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1