↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Heavy Duty Steel Wheels (Wolf)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 16 <123 4 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
Grouse

@ cuthbert, what about the 2200kg version
Post #363865 12th Oct 2014 4:31am
Cuthbert

At this stage I can find no evidence of a commercially available Wolf wheel being advertised as having a load rating of 2200kg.

An earlier posting by 'dorsetsmith' - "A tubeless Michelin XZL on Tubed Wolf wheelThey have a rated strength of 2200Kg" is the closest reference I can find. This reference appears to refer to the combined load rating of the tyre and rim?

So to sum up - Certainly zero new 'wolf' rims being openly advertised for sale with a 2200kg load rating that I can see.
Post #363895 12th Oct 2014 9:47am
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Does anyone have a part number for the Blindo's? I have always missed getting a set by a few minutes every time! So I think if I can I will get some new ones.

Thanks M 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)

Last edited by RustyM on 12th Oct 2014 1:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #363908 12th Oct 2014 10:26am
Grouse

Just for Cuthbert Thumbs Up

Just been out and checked all my Wolfs and took the spare off to check the numbers and markings even on the inside - can't believe I did that Wink :-

The markings are :-
2160025 & 2160026
6.5jx16x20.5
Manufacturers Logo and HL2
01C8N
ANR 5483 Tubeless

As far as I can tell, if they haven't got a part number they are not genuine LR or genuine wolfs - possibly even copies from china.

Click image to enlarge

Manuf logo

Click image to enlarge
Post #363922 12th Oct 2014 1:06pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
RustyM there is some available here, but they are pricey Shocked

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251673934449
Post #363923 12th Oct 2014 1:43pm
Grouse

@ cuthbert re 2200kg loading - might be of interest :-

http://www.landroverexpedition.com/equipment/wolf-wheels/
Post #363944 12th Oct 2014 4:42pm
Cuthbert

Big thanks to ericv (our swiss correspondent) and grouse for rolling up their sleeves and being very helpful - also looks like ericv is very happy he got the real deal (and not some inferior copy) and grouse's pics are most helpful .

If any other forum members can add to our combined knowledge - it might act as a helpful signpost for others considering a purchase.

Very interested that ericv confirmed his are pressed from 8mm steel - that's pretty heavy duty in anyone's book.

Grouse, if at some point would you check the thickness of steel (8mm or less?) on yours that might also be helpful? Thanks for your above post - I'm still wondering if that 2200kg figure is for the wheel rim or the wheel rim plus tyre - as I previously posted. I cannot find anyone selling white Wolf rims with a 2200 kg load rating.

I just love the power of the internet and the ability to share knowledge across continents. I'm off to do some more digging!
Post #364030 12th Oct 2014 10:07pm
Cuthbert

The forum regularly attracts employees of official Land Rover dealerships - who are in a unique position to tell us from their own sources all about the specification of official Land Rover HD Steel Rims.

Anyone want to help us out and tell us the load rating of those official rims (and if they have 8mm thick centres)?

Probably take you 5 minutes if there's a Defender with HD rims on the showroom floor or your parts dept do an online search for you?
Post #364031 12th Oct 2014 10:18pm
Grouse

Cuthbert - looks like 8mm with a steel rule - so I just put a micrometer on mine 7.5mm incl. paint depth - that equates to approx 7mm steel
Post #364218 13th Oct 2014 6:48pm
Cuthbert

Grouse - Good work Sir! Sounds as though yours are likely to be the real heavy duty version. If they were 'cheapo' copies I'd imagine they would have used much thinner 5mm steel - or even less in order to make the cost savings. I can only imagine what thickness of cheap steel is used to manufacture the £35 variants

After getting in touch with a bod who has access to Land Rover's parts computer - the official HD wheel's don't seem to be listed as having their own load rating (kg) - just a combined load rating of 3000 kg with the axle? Currently the wheels are supplied via the LR dealers in two finishes - primer at just over £70 + VAT or gloss black at just over £100 + VAT - now that's an expensive steel wheel.

It all seems designed to stop people comparing 'apples with apples' - or 'confusion marketing' as my marketing colleagues at work would say.

The three key suppliers definitely seem to be Bearmach, Britparts and Allmakes4X4(including their Terrafirma4X4 brand). That leaves the question as to where the three of them actually source the steel wheel rims from - as there are a limited number of manufacturers actually producing them.
Post #364229 13th Oct 2014 7:10pm
Cuthbert

Three pages of posts on Wolf wheels, some unanswered questions and perhaps some forum members looking to purchase?

Meanwhile the forum sponsors and traders maintain a deafening silence?

By now I was expecting someone to jump in with some definitive technical expertise and a 'special offer' for forum members - maybe even a group purchase?
Post #364812 15th Oct 2014 9:58pm
Fullfat

1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
I'm up for 5 steel wheels in black if any sponsors or traders want to steer us to the quality products.
Post #365073 16th Oct 2014 8:47pm
Cuthbert

Sorry 'Fullfat' - the suppliers of rims who frequent this forum don't seem to have any technical knowledge or see a sales opportunity?

I've actually been quite surprised at no-one on the forum being able (or willing) to provide definitive information on these popular rims. One thing I'm certain of is, that quite a few folk are driving around thinking they have the genuine heavy duty rims - and they actually have paid top dollar for the lightweight versions.

Maybe best ask a nice simple question about which tyres are best for traversing the car park on a Sunday afternoon at Tesco?
Post #365593 19th Oct 2014 9:46am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I've posted a photo up before of when I weighed my brand new HD wheel fitted with Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT 235/85R16 - total weight of 35.4kg. As it came out of the factory with them fitted, I'm hoping they are the genuine ones!

I'm assuming a cheaper copy made of thinner steel would weigh less than this.
Post #366118 21st Oct 2014 10:02am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Laughing

Supacat wrote:
I'm assuming a cheaper copy made of thinner steel would weigh less than this.

Without stating the obvious your assumption is factually correct. A wheel made of papier-mache however being of much greater thickness but also being 35.4 Kg would be deemed to weigh the same I think?

Sorry Supacat, couldn't resist. No offence meant or implied..... Bow down Cool If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #366119 21st Oct 2014 10:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 16 <123 4 ... 141516>