↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > sloppy drivetrain diagnostics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
easydeluxe

Belgium 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Epsom Green
sloppy drivetrain diagnostics
My 6 month old 2014 has developed the sloppy drivetrain too. Dealer gave me the that's normal crap...
I know it can be in the box, the diffs, the halfshafts, the flanges, the props etc...(or all of them)
But how can I diagnose?
Can somebody explain step by step how to find out where the play is?

thank you very much in advance!
Post #356950 10th Sep 2014 8:21am
wildcamper

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Not much of a help but i was told its a land rover thing live with it Rolling Eyes Funny thing is though changed my clutch and it all went away Very Happy
Post #357661 13th Sep 2014 8:41pm
easydeluxe

I am aware of that! Wink
but I am trying to figure out "where" the play is....
Post #357711 14th Sep 2014 8:09am
pob1968

I think the slop is everywhere. There is a bit everywhere and I think it just adds up. Gearbox, transfer box, every joint is an opportunity for a little slack. 110 Hardtop
Post #357720 14th Sep 2014 8:51am
custom90

United Kingdom 
A new clutch and rear diff flange sorted mine out, clutch was on it's way out and flange was too.
Post #357727 14th Sep 2014 9:31am
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
I started with the cheap and easy bits to replace .. drive flanges on the hubs and rear diff flange. Solved most of it. 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #357731 14th Sep 2014 9:47am
wildcamper

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
In all honesty go back to the dealer as at 6months old sloppy drive train is not acceptable unless its had serious abuse don't let them tell you its normal its not normal at 6 months and its up to them to fix it imho.
Post #357733 14th Sep 2014 10:11am
easydeluxe

that's what I did, and I got it back today. It's better but not perfect.
Post #361427 1st Oct 2014 2:38pm
AlanH

Australia 
My 2.4 has shocking slop and I complained bitterly to the stealer....and they fixed it. Smile Now it drives much better and that was well over 30K ago.
Talking to an independent recently and he says most of the slop comes from badly manufactured transfer boxes where they've failed to use shims on assembly apparently relying on the accuracy of their machining to make them un-necessary....a lot of us owners have seen how good that lazy idea works. Crying or Very sad
When I built gearboxes for road pavers many moons ago I matched gears to shafts and used plastic shims to set preload on all bearings/shafts and then before the box was passed as fit for purpose an inspector came round and checked all of it thoroughly.
And if it wasn't done right I had to redo it and that came off the time bonus I earned.
Still, that was in the olden days of about 50 years ago and times have changed and such things as doing the job properly to start with are not considered necessary. Laughing
AlanH.
Post #365580 19th Oct 2014 9:15am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
my play has all but gone after an new clutch and front drive flanges all done under warranty thanks to Pete LRCS on here DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #365700 19th Oct 2014 6:56pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
I was told that the awful freeplay in my driveline was 'normal' when the propshaft had about 1/6th turn slack in it. (No help to the OP but that was at Guava LR in Surrey.)

Another dealer looked at it and I don't know the diagnostic process but they changed the gearbox output adapter shaft and the problem was largely fixed.

The adapter shaft is a poor quality connection between the Ford gearbox and the LR transfer box that were never designed to be connected. It wears quickly and is commonly at fault they said.

My USW is 2013 with 11,000 miles. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #365819 20th Oct 2014 8:32am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Macpaul wrote:
The adapter shaft is a poor quality connection between the Ford gearbox and the LR transfer box that were never designed to be connected. It wears quickly and is commonly at fault they said.

There are several threads on the subject of the output adaptor shaft and its problems on the forum.

There is no doubt that an unacceptable number of vehicles have suffered from premature failure of this coupling (it is however only a very small proprtion of the TDCi-engined Defenders in service), whilst many others have achieved very high mileages with no problems at all. I inspected the splines on mine a couple of months ago when fitting a new clutch and it was in as-new condition, and that is on a vehicle with 150,000 miles on the original joint.

It seems to be accepted that there have been lubrication issues with the coupling and that some vehicles have left the factory with no lubricant. It also seems that vehicles built around 2010 may be more susceptible than normal to problems - possibly a supplier change or something like that.

Fortuanately it is reasonably easy to get to and not too expensive to replace.
Post #365827 20th Oct 2014 9:04am
munch90

England 
I agree with above , I removed mine to check and found it all good and just greased and refitted .

also it does seem that 2010 onwards have more problems generally
Post #365828 20th Oct 2014 9:11am
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Apologies for repeating myself, however, it is a black art, dealers can't help, forum members can't help, once a Defender becomes unacceptable the ultimate answer is to live with it or get shot, I am afraid no one can help you, the vehicle is basically rubbish, compensated for by being iconic, historical, characterful, get you anywhere (when working) and different from the Jap/Euro box. The vehicle is outdated, not fit for purpose, should not be sold; I love mine, however, have realised no point complaining about it, it is what it is and certainly no one can fix it, if I want a decent one I should get a Series 3. Out of interest Defender owners who think theirs is OK drive exactly the same as mine which is rubbish compared to say a Dacia or something more sophisticated like a new MG from China
Post #366039 20th Oct 2014 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1