↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 84 <123 ... 121314 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Crawford

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Thanks for taking the time to post, its given me the push to have a go myself. Thumbs Up
Post #359422 22nd Sep 2014 11:13am
Apisboy

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Aintree Green
If every suitable thing is given a yearly spray with ACF-50, is there any need to use the Dinitrol products?

My lazy nature looking for an easy alternative.
Post #360619 27th Sep 2014 9:41pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Apisboy

I would say yes.

ACF-50 is excellent but a different product entirely. Its ideal application is on a clean, dry surface, that is not too cold. This is not a 'must do' but ideal, it will creep into dirt and truly does have excellent penetration qualities.

So your scenario (AFC-50 only) would ideally require a total clean first, probably with a power or steam cleaner,
which will remove some (but not all) of a product like ACF-50...to then reapply it, It will 'chase out' moisture but this approach is not ideal, and ACF-50 over 'all' the underside of your Defender is not an inexpensive exercise.

The ideal route is to use ACF-50 on poorly prepared / painted areas, (cappings for example) lapped joints,
and fixing of dissimilar metals are also a good target. Then go down the Dinitrol (or similar product) route.

Form this point on, depending on the use of your Defender, reapply (where you can) ACF-50 yearly or so.

No real short cut route here, other than giving your vehicle to a professional service to apply a solution. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #360707 28th Sep 2014 9:54am
Apisboy

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Aintree Green
Many thx for the reply. You make a great contribution to this forum.
Post #360712 28th Sep 2014 10:43am
X4SKP

Post #360731 28th Sep 2014 12:02pm
rsms

Slovenia 
Hello,

I want to protect the inner side of chassis on my 02 TD5 110. The outside was dinitroled from new and is in very good condition (some minor surface rust on exposed parts). Recently I had a look into the chassis with endoscopic camera and found this:

What would be the best way to tackle this? Is cleaning (pressure washing with some special hose attachement), drying (my biggest concern!!!) and then dinitroling (Dinitrol ML?) right way? Am I missing something (rust converters maybe)?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Best regards!
Post #361654 2nd Oct 2014 10:48am
X4SKP

Hello rsms

...fantastic, CSI has come to Def2Net. Exclamation

Clean the Chassis by the best method available to you and allow it to dry out. I used a compressor with a cleaning gun attachment and 'lance' to get a Chlor-X salt remover solution in there, then a detergent, then flushed the whole Chassis. You can even temporally block the drain holes with grommets to 'fill and flush'.

I would use a Rust Converter product initially, if you want to use Dinitrol throughout then the order is

1 RC 900 (Rust Converter)
2 ML (Penitrating Fluid) Not essential but a 'best practice' step before
3 3125 HS (Cavity Wax)

Click image to enlarge

Personally I would not rush (follow quickly) with the application of the ML after the initial treatment with RC 900,
as it needs to do it's thing and may possibly be less effective if it is immediately covered with the later products the data sheets are available on the Dinitrol site...

http://www.dinitrol.co.uk/Products/DataSheets.aspx

Good luck... SKIP
Post #361793 2nd Oct 2014 9:24pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
My 62 plate defender is just in getting some corrosion warranty work and thought it might be worth mentioning as another area to lookout for. Sorry no pictures but I forgot to take any before it went in!

The doors seal bottoms had rubbed through the paint on the metal angle behind the sill and started to rust. This was particularly bad at the 45 degree corner on the second row doors where the paint had started to bubble.

My plan once it is back is to use clear 3M protection tape to prevent this happening again.
Post #361881 3rd Oct 2014 10:07am
rsms

Slovenia 
Thanks for a lot of usefull info. So 1st step this weekend will be cleaning - should I attack from the front or rear? (hmm... after reading this one more time it sound so... weird Wink

How do you guys drain all the water out to avoid possible water traps? Should I park on an incline (rear side up)?

To speed up drying I was thinking about using hair drier (with some adapter stucked into chassis) as mid day temperatures for the next week will be arround 17C. Will inside of the chassis be dry after a week or so?

So many questions...
Post #361900 3rd Oct 2014 12:39pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I use wheel ramps to tilt the car to drain the chassis. I think you should find chassis holes in the area you have marked as a trap.
Post #361945 3rd Oct 2014 4:49pm
X4SKP

Hi rsms

With the Defender on level ground there are 3 areas that the Chassis will drain to naturally, the front, middle and rear.

Click image to enlarge

The drain holes in the Chassis (in my opinion) are not ideally placed at the front and rear areas, the middle is ok.

I would say 'attack' from all areas... Thumbs Up

When you get to actually do this, you will see water flooding out in these areas (unless you plug it up) using ramps as Scotm said can help, but wont raise the vehicle enough to drain the middle section from the front or rear.

I used an air line to bow out and in some way 'force' dry the Chassis, but I knew that it was going to be left in good weather for two weeks before the Dinitrol was applied. A hair dryer will just not be up to the job and don't be tempted to 'upgrade' to a heat gun. There is kit available to professional automotive services, under body protection and body shops, but this takes you down a non DIY route.

If this is an outside job for you, and it's going to be cold, wet or both where you are, may be this is a job for next spring.

Time to decide... SKIP
Post #362112 4th Oct 2014 10:13am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
jomara wrote:
A massive thanks to Chris (Zagato) for doing a top job on my 110!!! The attention to detail is amazing and the advice and knowledge he has regarding Dinitrol ACF50 and the do's and dont's is priceless!!! Bow down Bow down Bow down

Well worth the run to Surrey to have the peace of mind that my car is fully protected, once again thanks Zag Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Nice to meet you Thumbs Up Hope you get over to NZ OK. Sorry for the late reply I don't come on here much but need to as I should update my guide to include the internal bits to treat, under bonnet also etc and how to get to the bulkhead, tops of chassis rails etc. It's a great shame that I hear of so many "professionals" doing poor work e.g. just a quick splurge from the underside and not washing or treating the rust first before hiding it all under a coating of Dintrol or wax, or commonly washing the vehicle in the morning and plastering it with anti rust stuff in the afternoon sealing in all that moisture Shocked Does it really take that much more effort and time to take pride in yourself and your work and do a proper job, NO, do the right thing by people and do a proper job. If it was me and couldn't do the work myself I would wait and watch the work being done...

As an aside I have seen a few 3 year old ones recently that may have had underside treatment from new but no treatment of the body cappings, bonnet hinges etc that are already seriously rusting. This in a way is maybe more important than the chassis - for instance if the hinges on the bulkhead rust through then thats a real problem and they are all pretty much rusting from new (bare metal between the join just sprayed over with body paint similar to the body cappings). Also rusting windscreen frames are common so if it was me I would order a spare window frame now whilst they are still available and obviously get your current one sealed by a window fitter as per the LR water ingress guide to stop the water just sitting under the window rubber - you can get holes in just 5 years!!

Well that was cheery wasn't it Wink

Last edited by Zagato on 6th Oct 2014 7:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #362361 5th Oct 2014 6:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Hi Zag - hope you are well and still loving the boat Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #362365 5th Oct 2014 6:26pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hello mate, good to see you are still around Thumbs Up Yes the sailing is going well this season with a trip down to Falmouth Very Happy
Post #362517 6th Oct 2014 7:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Velo-felo

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Hi, I need to Waxoyl or similar my recently bought 55 plate 90. It's really clean and worth saving before it gets the dreaded rot! I'm not keen to use the companies advertising this service as it all looks rather rushed and slapped on probably over a not dry chassis.

Does any member offer this ( I think this thread mentioned it originally) or know of a really good company preferably not too far from Gloucerstershire area?

Thanks. Steve
Post #362999 7th Oct 2014 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 84 <123 ... 121314 ... 828384>