↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What factory winch for 200Tdi?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
What factory winch for 200Tdi?
As above really, I can't seem to find any reference to what the factory fitted winch would have been for a 1991 Defender 110.

I have a feeling that it would have been a PTO winch but not sure if hydraulic or mechanical. Reason being on the back of the transfer box the pto output seal looks brand new and given its past life in the environment agency its not completely out of reason.

I'm umming and arrhing about putting it back on. Not that I need it at all, lets face it very few people on here would actually need a winch but there are about 5 times a year when it would have been very useful.
Post #360848 28th Sep 2014 6:12pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
i think, since forever ago, the utilities had superwinch mechanicals fitted. I know that the electricity board ones were vastly downrated (to something like 3000lb pull), rubbish for self recovery but they were/are fitted for pulling up power lines, so they don't want them overstretched
Post #360997 29th Sep 2014 3:05pm
shaggydog

Thanks for the input Jim Thumbs Up

It's pointless having one that you cant then use to recover yourself with.

I am leaning more towards the hydraulic route as this gives you greater flexibility as most of the ones I have looked at have a take off point which would be good for log splitters or other odd jobs.

That said looking online there is a Ramsey kit with everything you need including bumper (though its a hideous tow truck style one) for £1250 Shocked Which is a bit steep!

So then I come back around to the idea of the mechanical PTO which is a bit cheaper at between £300-800 but still a lot.

I'm just trying to steer away from the idea of electronic winches because it would never have had one. Though they are much cheaper and faster and easier to install. Humm, maybe I'm trying to push 3 wheelbarrows up hill at once here....
Post #361231 30th Sep 2014 12:29pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I had a hydraulic superwinch set up with a PTO from a utilities vehicle - not competition fast but hugely powerful. It was only limited by the setting of the relief valve on the PTO.

If you want a utilities set up try the Defender Centre in Stourbridge. Though it's a lot of effort to install for only reasons of 'authenticity' ...
Post #361234 30th Sep 2014 12:40pm
shaggydog

Well its not just authenticity though that is one of the main driving forces, there is some kind of master plan here.

The idea behind the Hydraulic PTO is that I can run a winch on the front but also the hydraulic take off lines.

Reason for that being is I am toying with the idea of a demountable log splitter on the front and maybe using rear take offs for another project I have had burbling away on a back burner.

I have been looking at the Defender Center in Stourbridge- does anyone have any reviews or dealings with them?

Might fire them off an email and have an ask what they got stashed away.
Post #361282 30th Sep 2014 6:13pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Mine came from them and it was reasonably priced and they were great to deal with.
Post #361288 30th Sep 2014 6:33pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
When I was building my 110 (started accumilating the bits 5 or 6 years ago), I visited the defender center as they were advertising some spare parts, and had a couple of rotted out Td5 defenders (ex royal mail Scotland I think, so done coast work all their lives)

They left me to it,I took my spanners and they even supplied tea whilst I stripped out the bits I wanted. and we just agreed a price at the end for the box of bits I'd ammased.

So from me, they were dead helpful and friendly.
Post #361363 1st Oct 2014 7:06am
shaggydog

Quote:
They left me to it,I took my spanners and they even supplied tea whilst I stripped out the bits I wanted. and we just agreed a price at the end for the box of bits I'd ammased.

What a refreshing and brilliant way to do stuff!

Will send them an email and see what they have in stock and what suits my needs!
Post #361570 1st Oct 2014 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1